Big Notice Coming | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Big Notice Coming

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by woody byrd, Apr 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    They are recalling the portofino for being too ugly.

2. fireplace63

fireplace63 Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    I believe it is the much anticipated launch of F173...V8 Turbo Hybrid mid engine cranking close to 1000bhp...

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    As an act of solidarity with Volvo, Ferrari will be going with all EVs in 2022.:D

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    v6 hybrid your welcome...................

5. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    it could be a 812 spider or "TDF"

vrsurgeon likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Maybe they're developing a stealth car with a cloaking device that can be turned on and off at will. After the race starts, they'll make the car invisible and pass the Mercedes who can't see them - and then turn the visibility back on right before the checkered flag!

7. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    Actually, it’d be cool if they engaged in an act of solidarity with Volvo and introduced an F1 style KERS system:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/22/2020-volvo-xc90-electrified-b-variant/

I know the Volvo system isn’t exactly the same, but they have been playing around with this for a while. They even had a prototype system with a button you could push to get a boost in power.

8. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    That all cars will now cost 35% more as of June 1, 2019? :(

technom3, greg328 and Bhh like this.
  9. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    AND the California, since IT is the same car.

10. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Porsche is dead to me. I can say this as a two time Porsche owner. Ferrari is heading down that same slippery slope.

I hope I'm wrong...

ewright and greg328 like this.
  11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Joseph, I don’t know how to break this to you, pretty much ALL the car companies excepting perhaps the boutique companies are just in it for the bottom line profit. If that means SUVs, Hybrids or EVs or whatever that’s what they will make. I bet Ferrari will have an SUV & an EV in the next 5 year because that is where the market is going. If they try to swim up stream against the market they may cease to be a viable company. As a public corporation their primary duty is to the shareholders doing what it takes to maximize the bottom line.

ewright and jm2 like this.
  12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ferrari does not need to make an SUV. That would require a new platform and production line, extremely expensive for a low-volume, small maker like Ferrari.

Unlike Porsche, Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi and Lamborghini, Ferrari already has two alternate exotic "fighting brands" that they can use to market cars that may negatively impact their premium sports car image with a utility vehicle. This is what "fighting brands" are used for in marketing parlance, an alternate brand that does not get damaged by fighting with competitors that are actually beneath the perceive cachet of your premium brand(s).

Porsche, Jaguar, Audi and Mercedes are all lower market than Ferrari so it damages the Ferrari brand when they acknowledge any of their offerings. Lamborghini is a somewhat tacky albeit equally exotic premium brand to Ferrari - while it is not beneath Ferrari to compete with, Lamborghini *IS* often tacky, over the top, with its offerings, vehicles that appeal to questionable taste. So as a marketing person, I wouldn't try to compete with the Urus either and besides, the Urus price point is relatively low so this goes against the stated intent of Ferrari, to move its price points higher. It's better to come up with a lightweight Maserati premium sporty SUV using a Ferrari-inspired flat plane biturbo V8. Up to now, Maserati uses cross-plane engines. With the existence of the ALFA label, Maserati cars can afford to move up-market a bit and keep pace with upmarket movements of Ferrari while still not overlap with ALFA or Ferrari's perceived market segments.

There are some very technical reasons for a car company (FIAT) to market "fighting brands", besides sharing technology, sharing parts and lowering production costs.

As for May 29, I am hoping they announce a proper 812 Spider. That would add excitement and would be an easy sell premium price product, A KERS or hybrid would be nice but they don't need the power or novelty at this point. None of their cars are too slow. The best platform for a hybrid would be as a test bed using the PF just as the DCT was with the Cali but it's much too early for a PF mid-life refresh or replacement. They need to get their ROI on current designs first.

ewright, tomc and Makuono like this.
  13. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    And there lies the problem.

I believe one of the reasons Di Montezemolo left was due to the upcoming IPO.

Is Ferrari a better company today than it was 5 years ago?

ewright and mkultra like this.
  14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I didn't say I liked it, Only that it is just a fact of life in the business world. Non public companies can what ever goals the owners want as they only answer to themselves and can't be removed from their jobs by shareholders/boards of directors.

IMO Ferrari is not a better company since it has gone public. Just one persons perspective, others may believe differently.:(

jjmalez likes this.
  15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    thare are already 48 pages of discussion about that car: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/new-v8-mid-engined-model-big-brother.595398/

It has the F8 engine V8TT with an hybrid module on the rear and on the front. Mid engine 4WD with just electric front axle, active cornering (like the Honda NSX, but much improved). Full eletric driving mode too. Regular production car. Faster, more expensive and more powerful (around 900 hp) than the 812S: will be the new Ferrari flagship. Aluminum car.
    Heavier than the actual production, of course.

Expected base price: 400 k euro

We just have to discover the shape it has.

ciao

16. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Some of you are "close," but it's actually a manual stick transmission all electric....now that should be fun.....

Jim

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  17. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Or not. No one here has any insight. Nor do you.

IMHO

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    :D

19. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida

Okay, poorly written, should have included the "grin," or "rolled eyes." (My point is your point.)

One member got it....:)

Jim

20. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Almost here!
    I spoke with my Sales rep yesterday and he said he was going to Italy the end of the month for a big announcement. Its coming! Get ready. What is it?
    Hard to believe its anything mid engine 8 cylinder with 488,Pista and F8 all pretty recent? Gotta be something really big, like SUV?

21. DTS

DTS Rookie

Apr 10, 2013
  22. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    I was at the factory on the 6th and saw a 488 hybrid test car tooling up and down the interior streets. It switched from gas to electric right in front of us. They seemed to be showing off for us.

23. luckyguy

luckyguy Karting

Nov 18, 2016
    venice italy
    i would love a f8 with hybrid and 4rw
    of corse at same price of f8 basic line:)

too early for santa claus?

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    california T was a really good looking car

Jakuzzi likes this.