Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev! | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev!

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Sep 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Trev will be better at answering this that me, but since my car started this journey, I'll try to shed some light.

Aside from the immobilizers themselves being poorly made, one of the relays that goes bad on the board enables the starter to operate. Connecting 2 wires in 1 of the harnesses bypasses this relay and always has the starter at the ready. Programming the ECU's to not care whether the immobilizer sends a signal (OK to start), allows the car to take the immobilizer out of the equation. Thus allowing it to start with just the key.

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Another question for Trev.

Last year just before the driving season ended (late Fall) the passenger door cable froze and I replaced the cables on both sides. Also each actuator was removed, cleaned thoroughly and lubed properly with white lithium grease. After that both doors worked with the Fobs to lock/unlock. Spring is now here and the two doors are fussing with each other. One or the other is throwing a tantrum so when you lock with the Fob or key it immediately unlocks. I've adjusted the cables and now it is hit or miss. Two days ago I had to park and leave the car in a parking lot unlocked. I've got a GPS, fire extinguisher and other stuff in the car. Wasn't happy.

I replaced the ECU (window) with a new one, turned off the battery overnight but still no joy.

With a Secondary Immobilizer delete (Fobs, Alarm deleted out of the Ignition ECUs), will each door be lockable with the key?
    Will that also stop the shenanigan that the two sides put on or is that a function of the micro switches (the windows operate as normal)?

Sometimes the electronics in this car frustrates the hell out of me. Thank god that driving it makes you forget everything else that's bad.
    Rant over!

3. Captain Tightpants

May 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    All internet searches for Ferrari 360 ECU problems lead to here and 360Trev. :)

It's my first post on here, a long time browser, but I'm now having ECU issues. :-(

Firstly, thankyou Trev for supplying all this information for us to browse and take in. I was trying to PM Trev regarding some issued I'm having, but for some reason I can't PM directly. I assume down to my post count etc.

My question is, if I have a second hand left hand ECU, I should be able to flash it with the firmware from my old one, and all should be swell? I've managed to pull the file off of the old ECU, but somewhat concerned about flashing it onto another one (that I have not aquired yet!).

Thankyou,

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The answer is it 'depends'..

A lot of the LHS ecus have at some point in their life been fitted to the RHS of the vehicle by techs trying to see if a problem goes to the other bank. When this is done the pairing also gets burned into that ecu too so if its then sold on used it won't be virgin unless it's either gets is eeprom erased or the immobilizer is deactivated in the firmware which means pairing becomes irrelevant.

Trying it won't damage anything, it will either work or not. Also if the car was jump started the used ecus may not last very long at all, it can fail quite rapidly thereafter.

If it doesn't work due to old pairing you have option to send to me to either deactivate immobilizer in the firmware (my recommendation after so many failures) or I can virginize it so it will be accepted as if it was brand new.

Whatever you do don't be tempted to run different rom versions on different banks, very bad things can happen. It's therefore strongly encouraged to re read the firmware from both ecus and compare they are byte identical on both sides before starting the engine after flashing.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Captain Tightpants and tifosi101 like this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sounds like it's still not adjusted correctly and exhibiting same behavior as trying to lock doors with one door open.

6. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Question for Trev:

I'm planning on doing a 6MT Swap into my 2000 F1 360 Modena, and i'm in Hong Kong. Can you flash my ECUs to be 6MT "Spec"?

What happens with the CS TCU I used to have for the F1? Do I just remove that? And, assuming that I had a tune before on my ECU, I would need to get it "re-tuned" after you flash it?

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes, your in luck, this is working flawlessly.

I can reflash your engine ecus so they work just fine in gated configuration. Be aware you'll also need to get the dashboard reflashed too from f1 to gated setup. Once ecus and dash are reflashed tcu should be removed. Your car electronically is then a gated car.

A few guys offer dash reprogramming already but it's kind of expensive. I will see if I can write up a tutorial so people can do this DIY inexpensively when I get some time...

As for your tune, it will survive no problem as I will modify your existing firmware, not replace it so any map changes will remain..

Trev

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just a little update on progress with my tool..

Its now decoding fully all of the Ferrari specific DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and I am adding a feature to allow you to either hide error codes (from illuminating the Check Engine light (e.g. so you can watch for real errors, this is useful in some circumstances ) but I'm also going to back that up with ability to ' code out ' the feature itself, .e.g. fully disable exhaust valves, secondary o2 sensors, cat temp stations, airbags, immobilizer, etc.etc.

This is specific to a firmware so you may not even realize but there are subtle differences between say a Challenge Stradale (which has 127 entries of upto 8 dtc, 4 per bank) defined and say an early Modena which has 124 entries. This is typically related to additional tests such as adding fuel pressure sensing and associated self testing. The important point here is i'm not even sure if people are aware (let alone the diagnostic tools they are using!). Not to worry though as Swiss Army knife KNOW's about how to handle all of the variations and it will decode YOUR specific firmware dump...

See pic..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

brogenville, Bas, tifosi101 and 8 others like this.
  9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

im based in mainland china, if you have something for sale, hit me up

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Not yet, still building out core functions.. Getting quite powerful now already

11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    first a patent for turbine engines, then radar, and now 360trev

How will Britain deal with all the successes

The Queen will definitely Knight you.

This is national security!!!

tonyc, Mimmo Blue and one4torque like this.
  12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Hahaha.. Somehow I doubt I'll get a call from the Queen

tonyc and kes7u like this.
  13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    remember what the Brits say

A King is always a King but once a Knight's enough!!!

tonyc likes this.
  14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

she'll send you a regular snail mail im sure

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Maybe if she has a secret 360 or F430 hidden away somewhere with an immobilizer problem, think it's a long shot myself....

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  16. mmarksx19

mmarksx19 Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    As long as you are not waiting for a call from Prince Phillip with car issues any more

Sent from my BBF100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Super excited for my tune tr. this is a big svc to the community.

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    OK some update on the hunt for a cheap replacement alternative for the 360 Ignition ecu's...

I discovered why the Bosch ME7.3H4 Alfa 147 ecu's don't work on the 360.

...Its because of dual ecu configuration. The Bosch (Ferrari) has 2 ecus, left and right whereas the Alfa's use a single ecu. The Ferrari application has CAN relay pin's 45 and 61 which join the left and right ecu banks together, those wiring pins don't exist on Alfa's. Damn. I'm looking into see if I can re-route the software CAN traffic between the ecu's on the main CAN bus lines which is very little used on the 360 and see if there is sufficient bandwidth to do it that way. If there is then those extra missing pin's won't be required! Watch this space ;)

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    OK some good news on another front.

Yet another world first for 360 owners. I'm literally Knocking them outta the park now

I can now run US spec firmware on a EU spec car with no hardware or wiring changes and no CEL codes. Yes, something Ferrari was told by Bosch was impossible. Nothing is impossible in software . I had to code out the secondary air system and patch code for evaporation valves to make it work on European cars.

I chose a Challenge Stradale firmware for testing purposes but this is fantastic news for US guys as I can now support feature development for USA based cars with full compliment of OBD smog tests built in, more specifically I can now finally play around with readiness and emissions features and test results on my own car.

While I have already successfully coded out secondary o2 sensors without CELs it disables readiness bits as I did it by Fully coding them out with configuration codewords. The next step will be doing a US version which keeps the features enabled but modifies conditions by patching code.

tifosi101, becir1, blueTT and 7 others like this.
  20. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    No doubt now the Queen will make a congratulatory call

360trev likes this.
  21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Long live sir Trev.

360trev likes this.
  22. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Ditto!

My ecus are undergoing the knife in mid-July.
    Can't wait.

360trev and G. Pepper like this.
  23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Trev fixed me up. Great to work w him.

G. Pepper and 360trev like this.
  24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Oh and TREV - ……. you really must have one of the big time vlogers….. showcase your 20 mile no speed lim run with your special 360 LW...…. I tried to get smoking tire to bite..... but the logistics are a wee bit tough :)

25. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sure would be nice if it set emission monitoring as completed. Definitely needed here in CA. What do you say, Trev?