Can you pin the exhaust values open in the F12 | FerrariChat

Can you pin the exhaust values open in the F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by $$$=SPEED, Nov 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    It’s been a long time since I posted here on Ferrari Chat. I was curious if I can pin the values to the open position always on my F12? On my 350/430’s and 458’s it wa the first thing I would do. Curious if it can be done on the F12 as well? Aboutly love mine but she just needs a bit more sound and before I go aftermarket valvetronic exhaust thought I would check.

Many thanks

AClark likes this.
  2. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    You can bypass the exhaust valves so that they are open all the time.

Agreed , least expensive AND best mod for the F12 !

A

3. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Thecadster likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This is exactly what I did. Works perfectly. Much more discrete for leaving from and returning to the neighborhood.

5. Micha b

Micha b Rookie

Sep 11, 2015
    Germany
    Could recommend the Capristo switch (small remote). Easy installation in 30 minutes, works perfectly and then definitely no need for aftermarket exhaust!

6. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Thanks Gentlemen,

I bought the whole Capristo valvetronic exhaust with remote for my FF and must say it sounded amazing! That said it was $14,500 installed. Gonna go for the remote this time first. Thanks again

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Curios about the 30 minute installation. What level of removal on an F12 is required to get to the solenoid valves that the Capristo plays man-in-the-middle-on? Do lower panels and/or rear bumper need to be removed?

8. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Permenant valve mod results in rough idle, and engine stop somtimes.
    Having switch to on and off is far better option.
    Best is leave as factory spec.

LMH likes this.
  9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes rear bumper inc. camera, sensors, etc. and then it had to be hard wired in, it took my dealer 2 hours but they charged me for one as a good will gesture.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    OK. If you are doing it yourself it will take more than 30 minutes to open the box and read the instructions! Interestingly, I found a vacuum control assembly which runs a vacuum pipe to the rear of the car when I was replacing the battery in my F12. I believe that it may be possible to quickly pull the hose and insert plugs to keep that valve/line disabled without even touching the rear of the car let alone removing the bumper. Not a Capristo but may be the easiest and reversible DIY solution yet if looking to lock open the muffler valves. I like my F12 exhaust stock though and not in love with bumper removal.

11. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I have the Capristo switch on the F12, but chose to simply pin the exhaust valves open on the FF, 812, and 488. I don't find it too loud, and prefer not to fumble with the Capristo switch. I'm already irritated by having to hit "Accept" on the FF infotainment screen and turn off "HELE" (start / stop) on the 812. Should be called "HELL". ;)

LMH, Napoli and Solid State like this.
  12. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    There is no need to pin anything. Simply drop the rear undercarriage cover and pull the vacuum lines going to the actuators. Plug the end of the loose vacuum lines and bolt the undercarriage tray back up. Valves are naturally open. 100% improvement, no need for aftermarket exhaust.

ArabianOak and LMH like this.
  13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Are actuators only for sound control, or are they there to also help with back pressure? I have heard that back pressure is needed for naturally aspirated engines, but not sure about it being a myth or not?

BTW, what do you use to plug the end of vacuum lines?

14. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    Yes, they add backpressure when they are closed and no it doesn't make much of a difference. You are already gaining backpressure from the length of the exhaust system and the addition of catalytic converters and a muffler. If it was damaging Ferrari would have never allowed the actuators to open. I plugged the vacuum tubes with a short stainless steel bolt

otakki likes this.
  15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Or get a pair of Brake pipe clamps for a few quid and clamp the rubber pipes shut which I did on my 599. Its easily reversible and keeps everything clean.

otakki likes this.
  16. NYKSwiss

NYKSwiss Karting

Jan 10, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Stephan
    I have just had the dealer perm. open valves and first impression -> it sounds great/better under 4k rpm, have to do a proper drive tonight now! Someone mentioned this could also heat up the catalysator, do I need to worry about this? Especially since I live in a hot and humid city state in Asia..

17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I can't see why it should, with the flaps now open more of the time it should let the exhaust gasses flow out more freely.

LMH and theplanner like this.
  18. NYKSwiss

NYKSwiss Karting

Jan 10, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Stephan
    Thank you!

19. gds7368

gds7368 Rookie

May 28, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    I did this for my 2015 F12 and it sounds great. Definitely not too loud for the neighborhood, sounds almost like a cigarette boat at low RPMs. Much improved. My dealer removed the rear bumper to make the adjustment, which "took two hours of labor"

20. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    can someone post a sound clip after this mod?

21. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Here it is on my Superfast [ 5 mins in ] I think it made more of a difference on my F12 than the Superfast

Vegas CS likes this.
  22. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    I have the Capristo switch on my F12. First thing I do every time I get in the car is open up the valves. I find car way too quiet without it open. Only downside is when car is dead cold and resulting high idle startup. Then it sounds lousy and unnecessarily load, but once the idle drops and/or car is warmed up then the open valves sound amazing. The only other thing I noticed with open valves is that from idle to about 2000 rpm on a light throttle (especially when starting off in traffic or even parking lot maneuvering) the car sounds a little too raspy and truck like. There is no indication of that classic V12 sound. However by 3000 rpm and especially by 3800 rpm the glorious sound of the V12 starts to come through far better than when valve is closed. You also get a louder idle sound over all. I have not tested extensively but I don’t think there is any difference in acoustics over about 5000 rpm with valves initially closed or open as I think by then the valves would always be open from engine vacuum under stock system. Overall, valves open whether by switch or vacuum lines removed is the way to go. Finally, one more thought... I have driven my car over a 1000 miles in a single day many times. Sometimes when I am just cruising at constant speeds I do close the valve to quiet engine down and remove some thrumming or droning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    FYI...with the capristo remote you have a memory function; open valves with button #2, if you then simulateously press the two buttons below that the valves will stay in that position so you don’t have to press button to open valves each time car starts.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Wow. I did not know that. Will try this morning. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    I used to own a Cigarette type boat. There was a exhaust diverter button for those boats too. Some marinas had noise ordinances. It was called the "Captains Call" switch. My friends called it the "Pu.s.s.y switch" in that the louder noise would attract the women.:cool: