355 - Macgyver bypass valve fix | FerrariChat

355 Macgyver bypass valve fix

Discussion in '348/355' started by Drock28, May 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I know this subject has been beaten to death..

and with almost 100% certainty that all oem bypass valves will start the dreaded buzz/rattle sound.

well my case is no different..

my valve since owning the car last 4 years was actually pretty good.
    it has been and still currently fully functional. it would buzz/rattle a little bit here and there, which was tolerable. however recently since first few drives of season.. it buzzes like crazy now.

to the point where it is almost embarrassing to drive the car.
    under load/throttle its fine, but at idle the buzzing sound is annoying as heck.

couple years ago I attempted the diaphragm adjustment, but turning couple rotation counter clockwise to add tension/load. it helped. I found the thread about this here.

now after doing some further research/googling.. I found these pictures on Flickr
    the guy who posted these pictures is Craig Beevers. anyone know him..?

the cause of the buzz noise is the rod/stem vibrating in closed position
    he put these springs to keep constant tension on the stem to stop it from vibrating..

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
  3. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    wow that's great.. thanks..

is he here on Fchat.. I looked but couldn't find him..

or if you have an email for him, please pm it to me, would be great..

as I said above, its a MacGyver fix.. but frankly I don't care if it actually works.. my valve works perfect, if these springs can keep tension on the stem to stop the rattle is fine with me. he said it worked perfect..

as much as I appreciate the Capristo valve is a quality piece, I refuse to pay the absolute absurd $1000+ USD for it...

I've also reached out to a member here who has been rebuilding the oem valves, but haven't connected with him yet.
    and actually prefer to keep the oem vacuum design, versus the capristo which is the reverse..

4. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    sorry i don't have a phone or email for him, i just checked my phone contacts, we lost touch around 2016 - but you can message him via the facility on Linkedin - he is a great guy and always very helpful, i am sure he will help you.

5. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    #5 jjtjr, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    I replaced my original valve with the gothspeed valve because I thought the rattle was coming from it. But the rattle was from the dual mass flywheel when just starting off. (Normal) I have my original still, I may want to sell it as I think the goth unit will outlast the car. The craftsmanship is top notch
    And the vacuum actuator works the same as the original. The whole valve looks original.