What is the Longevity of EOM Ignition Wires? | FerrariChat

What is the Longevity of EOM Ignition Wires?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Jul 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I just completed an inspection of my ignition wire system on my 1983 308 QV. One of the ignition wires (cylinder 3) has a much higher resistance than all the rest. I assume I need to replace the wire(s).

What is the longevity of stock Ferrari ignition wires? I like the look of the orange factory wire set, the molded cover caps are great, and I'll pay the price if factory wires last a long time. I have never changed they wires in my car and I have no record as to how old they are. Do wire last a fixed number of years/miles? Do they have to be changed regularly? Are the factory wires a good quality?

The wire websites (Magnacor, Kingborne etc) say they have better options to plain carbon-core factory wire, but I would like to stay with the stock appearance.

(As part of my effort today, I checked all plugs, replaced all extenders and checked resistance on my rear bank. I did not pull my front distributor to check the front wires since I had already found a problem with the backs.)

2. Roger103

Roger103 Karting

Sep 13, 2009
    Full Name:
    Trim Tab
    Resistor spark plug wires will increase their resistance as the years pass by. 10,000 ohms or less is good health.

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I checked the wires on my car (328) several times over 5 years & the resistance didn't change at all. Eventually 3 of them just broke (internally) in fairly quick succession. I'm pretty sure they were the original wires & they were over to 20 years old when I replaced them

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My #3 wire measures north of 100,000 ohms.

This all started after the car developed a serious misfire after I changed the rubber boot on the rear distributor. The mistake I made was not trimming the wires a 1/4" before re-piercing them. Today, I regapped the plugs (NGK Iridium) to 0.028", inspected the wires (no pin holes or burn marks), replaced all the plug extenders with ones I bought from Kingborne (all 4 in my front bank showed signs of burning; no pin holes but close to it), and trimmed and reinstalled the rear wires.

I took the car out for a nice long drive this afternoon. The #3 wire made me worried that I would have a serious misfire. Instead, the car ran beautifully, probably better than it ever has since I've owned it. I now realize there was a occasional intermittent misfire that I never even noticed.

Given the fine performance despite the high resistance #3 wire, I take it I just drive happily until there is an issue. I still want to know how long these factory wires last. I guess Iain is suggesting at least 20 years. I wonder if mine are 31 years old. If this is possible, I would re-buy factory OEM wires when the time comes.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    dielectric breakdown, this is going to vary a lot due to environmental conditions the wires are in and the condition of the coil charging system supplying the voltage to the plug. In other words there is no set time they should last. it's a good idea to test and check them at least once a yr.

an interesting check is to look at that wires with the engine running in the dark with little to no ambient light. if there is a degradation of the dielectric sheath you'll notice little blue sparks where the charge arcs to ground.

the hardest part of the wire today is finding the small OD stuff that will fit into the silicone covering Ferrari used. I know Dave Helms had bought up the last of the custom made Taylor 7mm wire a couple yrs back and when his stock gets low enough ~3k feet he's holding on to the rest for his own use, that should point to how long the wire lasts, 3k feet is a fair amount.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    There is no question that I'd like all my leads to measure about the same, but the reality is that the performance and behavior of the wire at 1.5VDC that your DVM uses versus the 20,000V pulse that the ignition system produces will be completely different.

7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    that's what hipots are for :D
    I like mine, I call it Mr. Shocky :D

8. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Both Magnecor and Kingsborne sell 7mm spiral wire in bulk. It isn't hard to find.

The Taylor wire might have been better than those two brands, I don't know. If it is then Dave Helms is your sole source as long as it lasts.

9. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I can tell you mine were not great after 28 years, but I thought the car was running fine. After a blown out plug extender, I tested the wires too and they were inconsistent. So I replaced them along with the rest of the ignition stuff last year. Now it really runs like it should, and I realize how much it sucked before.

10. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
    Hello,
    Is there any way to tell the age of the ignition wires... Is there a date code of some sort ect...

Jay

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No way to tell the age. But, if you remove it from the car and hold it up in the middle of the air, and it retains its shape without straightening out then it's time to change them.

12. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
  13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    THe resistance will be different for each wire based on length. 7000 ohms per foot is a normal number for conventional resistance wires.

14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Just remember that you are looking at the silicone sleeves that the wires are in, red is sleeve and in your case black is plug wire. I put in Magnecor wires and they seem to work so far. Just takes a little time to pull the old sheath over the new wires.

Lester

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    When I bought mine in Sept 97, the previous owner had just put new stock wires on it.

So I have been casually reminding myself they are still new... except that was 22 years ago and the original plug wires he had just replaced were only 13 years old then... about a decade younger then mine on there now.

Where the F does time go?

16. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I bought some new OEM wires in 2011. One of them (longest one on the front bank) had failed by last year & maybe 10K miles.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ferrari ignition wires don't last long in the engine bay because of the extreme heat.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I replace the wires on my 85 QV after 25 years, 27k miles. Most were still ok but a couple had internal breaks in wire causing low RPM misfires. The OEM Cavis wire is 400 ohms/ft, 7mm diameter, spiral wound wire. I replaced mine with the Belden 7mm spiral wound which measures 200 ohm/ft. You can reuse the red wire covers and the plug caps. The resisranc eis not of particular importance as it is the spiral winding that gives the RF suppression.

19. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
    Thanks for info guys

J

20. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    And good info here from Magnecor, even if you don't use their wires.

https://www.magnecor.com