Reproduction of Ferrari 179844 Gear selector/shift gate? | FerrariChat

Reproduction of Ferrari 179844 Gear selector/shift gate?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bob H., May 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob H.

Bob H. Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hello all. I'm wondering if there would be any interest in this part. I have lots of experience with castings and was wondering: If I were to make a reproduction of this part, would there be a market?

I recently acquired a gated car, after giving a lot of thought to buying an F1 car and converting it. This part seemed to be the real sticking point, with insane prices asked... which was what ultimately led me to buying a factory gated car.

However, now that I have one, it doesn't seem that insurmountable a task to remove the part from my car in order to make a pattern. I still have some homework to do, but my previous experience tells me that I could reproduce this part as a casting, as the original is, with the correct fit and finish.

In order to do so and make it cost-effective, I would need to make at least 10 of them. So, this is just a preliminary inquiry to see if there would be any interest. I'm guessing at price right now, but probably around $1000 per piece, significantly less than what is being asked elsewhere from what I have seen.

I'd appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. Thanks in advance.

--Bob

brianweekes likes this.
  2. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    I have created a cad drawing of one from ferchat members. I wanted get one made with a CNC. Still working out a few details.
    I would be interested in one for a little less if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Bob H.

Bob H. Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bob
    jg360, I saw a thread a while back about CNCing one.. was that you? To do this would be difficult.. at least, beyond what I have in terms of access to machine tools. The original is a casting.. I think that's a better way to go. In any case, thanks for your input... as I said, price would be largely dependent on number of parts made, which of course depends on demand... might be able to get the price down if the demand is there. With castings, a great deal of the sunk cost is in patterns.. after that , only materials and finishing costs (no small task). But it would absolutely make sense if I could sell 50... and absolutely not make sense if I could sell only one.

4. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    I modeled one up about a month ago in Solidworks based on the dimensions that where in that thread, I ended up having to guess on the left right draft angle on the gear slot angle for 5-6 1-2 and R as well as the throw from top to bottom since I did not know where the fulcrum point of the shifter connected in the shift box.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

brianweekes likes this.
  5. Bob H.

Bob H. Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Good stuff.. but the finish will be wrong if it's CNCd. I don't see any way out of that without blasting it to get rid of the tool marks, and then refinishing by hand.. which makes it more difficult than just finishing a casting as per OEM. Thoughts?

6. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Why does it have to look factory, why could you not do some 3d machined pockets or such and make it look cool rather than the rather dull polished stainless piece that it is.

7. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    I design, program, and machine motorcycle suspension parts and I even make tools look cool along with function.
    View attachment 2704711

Attached Files:

brianweekes likes this.
  8. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    Yes that was me!
    I would love to put a kit together to convert to a manual. Don’t see how it would be to difficult to make the 3 main components. Shift box with shifter, cables and the shifting mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    I believe you will also have to re flash a ecu as well I thought I read somewhere.

10. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
  11. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm in.

Steve

12. Bob H.

Bob H. Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I now have one more project to add to the list!

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes my Swiss Army Knife can convert any 360 or F430 rom file dump into one that works on either gated or f1 shift. Both directions not a problem.

In fact I can also do this conversion now on any roms from a 360 including Challenge Stradale, F430 including 430 Scuderia, 612, 575M and also the race cars too. So you could theoretically convert a 360 Or 430 Challenge racer to a gated car.. Would love to try a drive in gated Challenge car