NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 60 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Don’t mean to be pedantic but I don’t understand your point. There is a given power X. In terms of CV it is 1,000. In terms of US HP it is 986. The actual power is unchanged. People like me from the US cannot relate to CV numbers so we convert the number to HP. That is what makes the difference.

If I tell you an area is so many acres or sections, you will likely need to translate to your language or convert it to something you can relate to. That’s all this is.

Of course the actual power does not change just like a rose by any other name is still a rose.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    What is the US hp?
    Back in the time there were different standards to measure power (that was SAE for the US and DIN - German - for Europe) and that led always to get more SAE hp than DIN hp for the same power (meaning that one SAE hp was actually representing less power than one DIN hp).
    So how does it come that now the US hp figure would be less than the European figure?
    (UK bhp was always a different case, the bhp represents more power than the DIN hp so that for the same power the figure in bhp is lower).

3. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Guys sorry, but how many of us can really handle 1000HP???

Hands up please...

Roland1688 and F142George like this.
  4. F142George

F142George Karting

Jun 26, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    George
    The Chiron with 1500hp is very approachable and power is safely accessible (Not stating from what car reviews say but from test driving with Andy Wallace). Just depends on Ferrari's execution of the control systems. Any amount of power can be safely handled with the proper tech controlling it...

F2003-GA and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Me.

:)

arhimede, F2003-GA and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I never tried so I cannot tell - but in a straight line with all the electronics wizardry I imagine one could cope with a lot of power.
    I am confident I could use more than the 670 hp (DIN, btw) of the 488, but I don't know what power would be definitely too much for me...

Roland1688 and F142George like this.
  7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    To be honest, I have no idea. It is just a measurement of power. It’s just a number. I don’t really know how feet and inches became standardized either. It’s just what I’ve grown up with. Just like when when something is measured in mm, I have to convert to inches to be able to relate. If the object is 25.4 CM, it is equivalent to roughly 10 inches. In this case 10=25.4! :)

So to say 986 HP is less than 1000 CV, it is not really true. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

F2003-GA likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I just use the on-line calculator so I can compare to the 731 hp of my F12.

Others have posted a three electric motor setup but I agree the math at 986 hp doesn't really work out as there is too little hp to share for three electrics and it would be a lot cheaper to just use the one at the diff like they have already done. No substantial torque vectoring though so maybe being saved for the hyper.

9. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    We should consider that in an hybrid setup the real combined maximum available power could be less than the arithmetic sum of each engine/motor maximum power.

F140C likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Agreed. The OEMs just add them up while we know otherwise. I'm only really concerned with ICE power and then not so much with a turbo.

F142George likes this.
  11. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fascinating new car it seems. Certainly going to be a looker and explosive performance . The V6 is not so good mind.

But it will be, and we all know this really, another exceptional Ferrari car. If pricing is now £500k then , if this can be said, a competitive price. Ferrari make exceptional cars . Really exceptional .

Will look good in grey and yellow they say.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    From what Alberto says the car will have a V-8 engine. This was also indicated by Ferrari's Chief Technology Office Michael Leiters in an interview at Geneva back in March.
    Also Little Brother is getting the V-6 engine. With both cars having a V-6 it would be difficult to justify the huge price gap between two cars built on essentially the same platform. A beautiful design only goes so far.
    Especially to after Aston Martin got sucked into the trap of V-6 motors for their 488 competitor and their version of the LaFerrari...

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Why don't you just use the 740 CV that Ferrari announces for the F12 and get yourself entangled into maths? LOL!

Regarding AWD, Ferrari is adamant that a supercars must be RWD and that's the reason that only the Lusso is part-time AWD. Thus, the next hypercar is expected to be RWD also. ;)

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    True and this happens to Toyotas. But hypercars are tuned in a way that the engine and the electric motor produce their maximum power at the same speeds, thus the total power is the sum of the two. This was true for the LaFerrari, P1 and 918.

15. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I hope it is a V8, was just going off comment here

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sounds like a simple solution but that rating really has no meaning to me. I can tell you exactly the hp my motorcycles and cars are and have been my entire life. I started to get confused when torque went from foot-pounds to pound-feet!

WRT rear wheel drive, the newest mega power supercars are 4-motor electric with electric (versus mechanical) 4-corner (versus 2-wheel) torque vectoring as a must to compete. Seen a few videos and continue to do some reading up on them and the laws of physics can be bent some through reversing the current dynamically at each corner of the vehicle in real time and in many situations without anywhere near the present need for braking. Tire technology will need to change to fully exploit the potential.

A few psi increase in boost on at least the forth release of the small turbo V-8 with a single electric motor at the diff cannot possibly have the suspension performance and shear handling for the upcoming cars especially when the battery weight penalty increases somewhat uniformly with the output power of the electric motor(s). That's not to say BB won't perform awesomely compared to something like even the LaF. It will be a great performance next step but nothing like what can and is being done admittedly at a much higher price range. I really look forward to this new car as it will show showcase what Ferrari can do with an entirely new platform and body design. A great time for Ferrari owners and enthusiasts!

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Since most sports-cars/bikes are of European/Japanese origin, I would think that the metric system would be easier for comparative purposes. Personally, I don't even look at the BHP ratings nowadays; for me it's either HP/CV/PS or even KW (I find the latter a bit tricky, but you just have to multiply 1 KW by 1.35 and you have got yourself the metric HP rating), as with the rest of the civilised world. Likewise for torque (either Nm or Kg instead of lb-ft).

I think that Adrian Newey - Aston Martin, with the (divine) Valkyrie, Koenigsegg with the (ludicrous) Jesko and McLaren with the (crazy) Speedtail, beg to differ. Basically only Mercedes-Benz with the (meh) One subscribes to the AWD fraternity. Germans... boring all the way!!!

635CSI and Solid State like this.
  18. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    DUNNO
    but willing to give it a go!!

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    There are more than the German cars with this technology today. Check out Rimac Concept One and C-Two, the production Pininfarina Battista and the Chinese NIO EP9. Example of 4-motors and torque vectoring parformance:

C-Two:
    Power: 1,914 hp / 1,696 lb-ft,
    0-60 mph: 1.85 seconds
    Top speed: 258 mph

Here’s an article where Koenigsegg, Aston Martin and China are mentioned as using some of their components and shows the global marketing strategy:

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/05/09/rimac-aims-to-be-the-dominant-ev-oem/

The performance numbers are just too staggering to ignore and it eliminates all the emissions and sound restrictions.

Again, this is for the hyper market but the technology is just about here now (weight is still too high). Folks seem to like their electrics and many now post that sheer performance trumps sound (turbo argument). IMO the hybrids are a stop-gap for full electric. Of course, the Ferrari NA V12 holds my heart and look forward to seeing the new BB.

20. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt

In Aus - people keep bringing up testarossa. I kept dismissing it thinking they would probably save that name for a v12.

Personally was thinking more of a f40 reminder - but based on absolutely nothing but a bias personal guess :)

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  21. Nico87

Nico87 Rookie

Mar 18, 2019
    I am new on this forum but been reading about upcoming BB from the start.
    I really am interested in getting that one as many people here on forum said it will be AWD.
    But now it seems it will be RWD at the end.
    For some reason I was always affraid of to much power on the rear wheels only, that all wheel drive gives me feeling of safety, and it is also awesome to be able to drive your sports car in all conditions.
    Did Ferr9000 ever comment on AWD? I remember someone saying it will be car for every weather?!

Can't wait to see that new beauty...

of2worlds likes this.
  22. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    My guess is that it will be a "modern interpretation" of the Testarossa.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  23. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I could see why they might do that, but Ferr9000’s comment that it will remind us of a ‘fast’ car, given that all Ferraris are fast, suggests that it is not Testarossa. There is also the issue of the TR line being 12 cylinders.

Possible ‘fast’ choices might include...288GTO, F40 - both ultra high performance mid-engined V8s. I suspect the report of the car being a V6 might not actually be accurate? In case he means ‘really’ fast, there were the F10 and F60 V8 F1 cars...? F10 would also link to 1,000hp and reinforce its superiority over the F8.

C50 likes this.
  24. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I heard the name Testarossa too, but Ferr said "it will remind us..". So I guess they won't choose a name already used in the past, just something similar/inspired by.

25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The cars you are mentioning are basically the same (Rimac technology underneath) and are electric. Which makes them even more boring... Fortunately, the majority of the upcoming hypercars have an ICE and are RWD.

F140C likes this.