360 - YAY! Another gear oil thread!!! | FerrariChat

360 YAY! Another gear oil thread!!!

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedNeck, May 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Doing my fluids this weekend so my car can stop being a neglected garage queen, as it has been pretty much all this year. Between the rain and home remodeling, she's just taken a back burner.

So I've been reading through the past threads on gear oil recommendations, which seems to be less cut and dry here in the USA, as the Ferrari recommended stuff (Shell Transaxle/Spirax) is pretty hard to come by, and potentially is not the best for our transmissions anyway. The 2 main recommendations seem to be the Redline 75w90NS and the Valvoline Synpower, but it seems that we are still trying to find a balance on whats best for the synchros and what best for the LSD...so has there been any new findings in the world of gear oil on our cars since we last tackled this issue?

2. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Another thread indeed LOL....

I've just tried RL 75NS in my F1 car and the changes are noticeably smoother. It replaced Eni Rotra LSX......I added none of the friction modifier and after about 700 miles of mixed driving no issues at all.
    My thoughts were it probably doesn't need any friction modifier initially as there is residual oil in the trans....Maybe after 3 or changes it will, who knows....

From now on I can't see me using anything else.

You can still buy the Spirax but only in large drums in the UK.

3. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I just changed to redline 75w90ns from factory spec shell 75w90. Previously I had hideous diff chatter with factory oil. Now it's completely gone and no friction modifier needed. Redline 75w90ns on my 355 also made the shifts noticeable smoother and easier to access 2nd while cold. I think it's fantastic stuff. Just be sure to get the "ns" variant and not the shockproof stuff which is totally different and unsuitable for transmissions with external cooler setup.

4. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    So no one is using the RL MT-90 GL-4 gear oil to favor the synchros over the diff?

I thought Brian (rifledriver) had mentioned that he's going back to GL-4 from the GL-5 recommended by the factory

5. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Yes, that will be the case, best for synchro's is not necessarily what is best for LSD.
    For a street car, I use the Redline NS = No Slip.
    Better shifting that original Shell and LSD seems fine.
    Don't add a "friction modifier", that just makes it "slipperier".

I recently changed from Redline NS to Mobil 1 Mobilube PTX in my GT3's gearbox.
    Doesn't seem to alter shifting and conventional wisdom in Porsche world is that it is better for the LSD.

You'll want other products if you have a track focused car.

6. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I have been using it for about 2 years now and all is well.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Strictly street here, guess I will give the RedLine a try, seems to get the most fanfare...

8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Surely Amzoil has something compatible. They were the only company that had a substitute for my GT2. Porsche stuff was like $80 per quart .

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’ve used the RL NS, RL Mt-90 (per Brian) and eni Rotra LSX.
    I’ve seen no difference in shifting between the three, but my car is F1.

It doesn’t appear to be about shift quality, rather long term wear to the synchros which only could be seen through oil analysis anyway.