Can Ferrari win | FerrariChat

Can Ferrari win

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, May 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    After watching the snooze fest at Barcelona, I'm started wondering if Ferrari can even win this year on merit. Sure, if the scrap between Bottas and Hamilton ignites and they take each other out in turn 1, then yes maybe Ferrari can take advantage, but on merit... I'm having serious and what I think are legitimate doubts if the they can actually win a race. The pitwall showed again that they are the keystone cops of F1, the drivers are just as confused as ever, and the car seems to be left wanting. The new PU did nothing on top of it.

Also for me, this race just personified everything that's the wrong with F1. I've actually just started fast forwarding through races and I'd have never done that a few years ago. I'm wondering if one day I'm even gonna care if i miss a race.

2. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    "Also for me, this race just personified everything that's the wrong with F1. I've actually just started fast forwarding through races and I'd have never done that a few years ago. I'm wondering if one day I'm even gonna care if i miss a race."

I couldn't agree more. Even if Ferrari wasn't a shambles, F1 has lost its premiere status with its emphasis on idiotic rules, "cost savings" with limited number of engines and other components, and hybrids. Bring back the V-10s with no turbocharging or batteries; additional testing; no ridiculous penalties for replacing critical components; and reconsider some of the tracks being used. I know I sound like an old fart (and I am - get off my lawn!) but memories of Montreal in the 1990s and early 2000s keep coming back. You needed ear plugs for those engines and the racing was exciting.

I will probably watch Monaco, Spa, Monza and Texas but that's all. Enough already.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don't know, but for those with depressive tendencies I'd suggest to stay away from the F1 section for a few days.

SimCity3 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I watch the start and skipped the rest, no patiente for such a crap show...

greg328 and daytona355 like this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 me too.

Nortonious likes this.
  6. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Since Ferrari is not that competitive, I've started to enjoy watching the races in the middle of the pack. I like to see what the Haas cars are up to - Magnussen putting it to Grosjean, for example. Also, always interesting to see who snags that 10th point. It seems that the TV crew is into this, too, as more camera time is being given to these guys.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Will Ferrari win a race this season on merit? I do not think so.

Robb and william like this.
  8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I dunno, but I think they might.

If Ferrari could get out of their own way, I think LeClerc has what it takes to win a race or two. After all, many a race was won by Ferrari when they didn't have the best car but had the world's best driver, not all that many years ago.

I do think the cars matter way more than the drivers now, but an exceptional drive, on just the right track, on just the right day, and who knows? I think it's gonna have to be a fast track, not a Monaco style, more of a Monza type track, to help mitigate the apparent problem Ferrari is having with low speed turns.

I have hope, but then, I've been told by many that I am the eternal optimist.

D

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    They will..i'm sure they will....

Isobel, kylec and daytona355 like this.
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have to say --- unlikely unless by some weird event.

You have 2 Mercs with 2 drivers who each want to win each race from each other. So, they are pushing hard.

Then you have an RB team that is still fighting with one arm behind it's back with Gasly in one car while they keep slowing eeking out more from Honda without losing reliability.

Then you have Vettel in a slump/ funk and Leclerc who is good and eager but lacks experience and is thought of as the number 2 driver.

Lastly you have a team that seems in a depression. Their grand ideas for the design of the car appear wrong and there's no easy fix. Add to that poor strategies and falling behind even in pitstop times and its not a good sign for victory anytime soon short of some kind of odball event.

Flat out beating Merc? Maybe. They came close in Bahrain but that time has passed.

Let's hope Barcelona was the low point in the season and they make progress from here. If not there may be a revolution in the team by the season's end. They can't keep falling father and farther behind forever before someone brings out the whip.

greg328 likes this.
  11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    F1 is in a bad place right now and has been for years. I watched the start then went on took a walk and did a couple things. Didnt miss a thing.

greg328 and Bas like this.
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Sure they can--and here is the plan::
    a) buy the Mercedes team
    b) paint the cars red
    c) win!

13. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did anyone catch the speed traps? I certainly didn't seem like Ferrari had any meaningful straight line advantage... even with the new PU. As much as I hate to say it, but even late in the era, Mercedes just keep improving at a dramatic level. It seems any mistakes on development have been already sorted and that made a huge impact on the gap.

I don't blame Vettel or Leclerc for mistakes at this point. What's the alternative to take risks... 4th place?

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes they can but need help - DNF or impressive development and good strategy

15. DF1

Ferrari admits Formula 1 car concept may be wrong for 2019 - Funny to see this. Autosport writer said Rosberg was wrong when Rosberg was in the press saying Ferrari did not get this right, the aero. No argument now is there. Without testing I see no Ferrari win soon or at all.

--Ferrari has admitted that it may have got the concept for its Formula 1 car wrong this year, in the wake of its Spanish Grand Prix defeat in Barcelona.

The squad had hoped that an aerodynamic and engine upgrade introduced last weekend would help lift its form and allow it to beat Mercedes.

But it endured another tough weekend as Mercedes was untouchable and it failed to finish on the podium after Max Verstappen grabbed third place for Red Bull.

Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto said an investigation was now under way to get to the bottom of its struggles, as he says the team may have to concede that the concept it adopted this year was wrong.

When the 2019 cars were launched, Mercedes and Ferrari took totally different paths with their front wing designs.

Mercedes had opted for a high downforce solution, while Ferrari had taken a route to better manage outwash and improve efficiency.

But with Ferrari aware that it was slower on all corners in Barcelona, it now has to urgently address what has gone wrong.

"We are losing a lot in each corner, not only in the last sector, it is each single corner we are slow," said Binotto.

"[There is] quite a lot of understeer.

"Is that only downforce or is it more than that? That is something that we really need to analyse and understand.

"Any conclusion today will be a wrong conclusion.

"It will take some days to really have a proper analysis and try to understand: is it a matter of balance, is it a matter of downforce, is it maybe even car concept? I don't know.

"I think we do not have the answer and I would like not to go through it."

Earlier this year, when Mercedes appeared to be having difficulties in testing, the team said it would months to switch to another concept with his car.

That timescale would dent Ferrari's hopes of a quick fightback, but Binotto believes that action can be taken this year.

Asked if it would be a disaster if the team finds it got its concept wrong, he said: "I don't think it is a disaster by the time that you are improving as a team.

"And as I often say, we are a young team, we are learning on a learning phase.

"I think that in terms of process and methodology there is still much to learn and I am pretty happy by the time the team is improving.

"If it is a concept design then it obviously depends what it is, but I think there are things that you may address within a season."

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff thinks that an explanation for the turnaround in form from testing to now may be explained by how the higher downforce concept allows room for more development without upsetting the car balance.--

Bas likes this.
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    BS.

The were ahead of everyone in preseason. Yes, Merc was sandbagging as usual (duh) but RB wasn't.

They have just fallen behind.

375+, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  17. DF1

Merc had 2 cars/chassis. One for week 1 for the basic car and the second in week 2 with the revised aero concept that was final during week 1. The second week was the actual car baselined for the season from what was published. I think they were simply more thorough in preparation assessing a more flexible design. BBC Aero ghost writer confirmed this early if you see the thread I made where I post the BBC aero articles. I dont sense conspiracy but I am not Italian lol

william, 375+, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    A young team? Binotto had been there for many many years ,jock clear also ,plus the strategy idiots .

Looks like they are out at sea with no sails and no engine ,just drifting around with no clue what to do.

19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    +1

20. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Worrying that Lewis 'did not even drive at full power'.... it really is game over for this year.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    agreed, I've pretty much written this year off...

24. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    How good are Vettel and LeClerc in the rain? Hopefully one of them can channel Michael Schumacher and pull off a wet weather win. It is about the only shot we have unless, as previously stated, Hamilton and Bottas take each other out.