456 Manual as a first Ferrari | FerrariChat

456 Manual as a first Ferrari

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by m3 bavaria, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m3 bavaria

m3 bavaria Rookie

Mar 19, 2015
    Texas
    I’ve been looking for a 355 for a while but can’t seem to find the “right” one.

I’ve always loved the 456 and remember it fondly from the magazines when I was a kid.

Recently, I came across a 456 that’s overpriced but in a condition I prefer and of course, in manual.

So for those in the know, how’s the 456 make out as a first Ferrari.

I’m a collector with a garage full of German and British cars, but my only Italians are modern (Alfa and Fiat).

I live in a small city with limited access to quality mechanics (my local garage does alright, but I wouldn’t trust them with anything of consequence) and I have two Ferrari dealers that are 2 hours away.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or insight is helpful.

I’d likely put 500 to 1,000 miles on the car each year, if that’s helpful.

F456M likes this.
  2. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Well, m3 bavaria...., where are you located? Bavaria, Germany?

Jürgen

3. m3 bavaria

m3 bavaria Rookie

Mar 19, 2015
    Texas
    Close. Texas.

360Marnix, 456enthusiast and 350MH83 like this.
  4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    355 and 456 are quite different. I have not driven either vehicle.

The 355 is not inexpensive to maintain. Valve guides and cracked exhaust headers etc... beautiful car.

Buy what you like. Best advice - have a qualified mechanic perform a PPI who is familiar with the car.

5. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Bavaria,

A 456M GTA is my second Ferrari.
    I often say I’m glad I bought my Spider first - had I bought the 456 first, I may never have gotten a second.
    I enjoy it more than any car I’ve ever driven.

Initially, I wanted a 355 Spider, but the projected maintenance costs led me to a 360. Very happy with that decision. Once sorted, the Spider has been very dependable and well within cost estimates.

That said, you need to be prepared for and understand what Ferrari stewardship will entail.
    The newest 456 is now 16 years old. So even the best one is going to break and have parts wear out.
    Mine needed over $15K to sort out after purchase, something I knew upfront from the PPI.
    Much of that I could do without an expert Ferrari mechanic.
    But I’d be hard pressed to not have one (and their specialized equipment) nearby.

I strongly suggest you read the Buyers Guide. It gives a pretty accurate description of what to expect.

Also, from a personal note:
    The Spider is exactly what I imagined a Ferrari would be. It has all the excitement and performance you could want in a sports car. The 456 on the other hand, is an elegant GT cruiser. It shines on the open highway, where a clutch pedal isn’t needed. And easy in city traffic, where you wouldn’t want one.

paulchua likes this.
  6. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    My first and so far only Ferrari is a 1995 456 manual. Bought it in Japan with 9000 kms, and have just under 20k kms now three years later.

It's fantastic. I've daily driven it for two months last summer, and taken long road trips too. Very 'liveable' in a way the V8 cars aren't--you can use the 456 as any other car (gas consumption notwithstanding). It has a good-sized trunk, the back seat fits baby car seats (if you're in that situation), and the driving position is comfortable for long stretches.

Maintenance is fairly simple and relatively inexpensive (no engine-out stuff), as everything is easily accessible. The drivetrain in the manual cars is relatively understressed, so major problems boil down to electronic or trim issues (windows, dash leather shrinkage, suspension accumulators, seats, etc.) Because it is such a low-production model (3200 or so made over 9 years), parts are unique and hard to find, but most are shared with contemporary Alfas, BMWs and Rovers, so can be substituted out.

F456M and paulchua like this.
  7. m3 bavaria

m3 bavaria Rookie

Mar 19, 2015
    Texas
    Excellent advice. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

While I’m sure that exotic Italians are pricier, I do run an AMG that seems to eat $4,000 coil packs every 2,500 miles or so, so I have a bit of realistic experience to keep me grounded.

I feel like the 456 is a bit undervalued, so this may be the time to buy. For those that did, do you seek out an M or is the difference negligible in your opinion?

paulchua and tantumaude like this.
  8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I drove several of each version during my search and didn’t notice any difference in performance.
    I like the hood scoops on the earlier version, but they didn’t come with fender shields. I wanted both, but went with shields.
    So for me, the major factor for selecting an M was cosmetic. I simply like the interior design better.

The second factor was age & mileage.

Another important issue concerning both versions, although debated, is the valve guides. Many experts I spoke with say they will all go bad eventually. I made sure any candidate had documented proof of upgraded guides.

tantumaude and Laserguru like this.
  9. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat

My current daily is an S600, when I bought the 456 I had a C63. The 456 has been cheaper than either so far. Agreed that they are undervalued, especially the manuals.

In my case, I didn't fit in the M. (for whatever reason the seat is higher, or roof lower--I'm not sure). It made the choice easy. I prefer the exterior aesthetics of the GT, but the M interior is nicer (aside from the early non-airbag steering wheel on the GT, which is sublime). Beyond that subjectivity, I don't believe there is enough material difference to choose one over the other, all else being equal. Find the best-maintained one in a colour you like and buy it.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are a lot more 6 speed 456 GTs out there than 456M GTs. Total production for 456 GTs 1534, 456M GT 668, and the M GTs are quite a bit more expensive.

11. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Me too! :D

I have now owned my MY1995 Japanese sold 456 GT for a bit over four years. I have done 20.000+ kms.

It did help a bit that my first car was a Jaguar E-type Series 1 2+2 that I bought as a basket case and that I had been looking to buy a classic V12 Ferrari since the 1990's.

Cheers!

tantumaude likes this.
  12. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    IMO: If "overpriced and in a condition you prefer" is an extra 10K then pull the trigger, like I did.

13. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I have your exact condition. My first Ferrari is my 2001 456M GT (gated). Bought about 6 years ago. I then added a 1997 F355 spider (gated) about 3 years ago. They are very different experiences but both excellent.

The 456 is a true GT, amazing power and handling in a relatively heavy car. Very easy to daily drive which i often do during the driving months and an understated charm and design that has grown into a true classic beauty year over year. It is fast and in sport mode is surprisingly responsive with torque like no other and an early “ASR” nanny that is quite good which can be shut off (but i wouldn’t as i can spin the rears going into 3rd given the power and the gated shifter). Mine came with 19” NF2 wheels, as i prefer the aesthetic of larger more modern rims on the 456. So the oversteer can be ridiculous but i don’t mind as love the look - requires 50mm type 2 spacers on the rears. I am often asked what year it is and most are surprised to hear it’s basically a 20 year old deign at this point. I also straight piped it with a double crossover as I wanted it to be fun and sound amazing which it does - the V12, 65° classic is very sonorous. And i also have a center X-pipe with tubi back boxes for an equally amazing but more subdued note. I did have to sort the window issues (F1 imports in Florida), valve guides - they weren’t failing but did them preemptively while I had some other head work done (prior owner had not replaced a very small radiator hose under the intakes and it failed / my independent didn’t catch it at the PPI) - And there is always some small mechanical or electrical gremlin to chase down on these hand built analog creatures / but part of the fun. Also the stickies are notorious in this era, but Dave at Sticky Rx is your friend and has an amazing finish with real laser etching. All switches, shrouds and trim better than new when he’s done. It’s fun to take the kids places as a family too with the plus 2.

The f355 on the other hand is a true point and shoot thrill. It’s really small, they look bigger in pictures because of their perfect lines, but they are low and it’s a relatively tight car - so it’s power to weight ratio is really amazing. While it’s smaller, I actually have more legroom in the 355 than the 456 given the prowess of the design (and the rear seats in the 456) but both are comfortable. The mid engine on the f355 is the best sounding note in automotive history imho and coupled with fabspeed headers and tubi back box, sound like angels humping (or an F1 car when they were good). The V8 is extremely high strung and it’s really happy between 6000 - 8500 rpm and drilling the gate up and down thru all those gears. There is no nanny tech on this, but it’s footing is really sure given the mid engine balancing and the power is well suited. It’s really difficult to break loose, have to be trying to do so. The lines are probably one of the top 10 Ferrari’s of all time in terms of design and is a nice complement to the 456 (wedge versus cart). It also has the stickies, requires new headers eventually but there are many excellent after market choices and then it’s done, and requires an engine out every 5 years or so, but it’s cleverly kitted and the shop shouldn’t spend much longer than 40 hours...or sub $10k costs depending where you live. Don’t believe the “$20k” costs you might read about for the belt service. It may also be troubled by the valve guide issue prior to 1998 but I’ve still not done mine.

Anyway hope this helps and good luck. Highly recommend both the 456 and the 355...any other q’s or details reach out to me via DM and i post waaay to much of both on IG here (including sound clips if want to hear them...)

https://www.instagram.com/lionworks/?hl=en

some pix too...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    View attachment 2705577

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCYC, F456M, tantumaude and 1 other person like this.
  14. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    Hello both great choice of cars.
    My 456GT is my first Ferrari and fell in love with one as a child when I watched the Top gear video. All Ferrari cars are lovely and the 456 being very special to me.

15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The 456s are great! I had a 1999 M for almost three year and bought it when I was 26. No real issues. But make no calculations on the fuel economy. Rear seat space is a joke, and it is effectively a 3-person car because the driver’s seat is usually touching the rear seat leaving zero leg room for the one sitting behind the driver. The window gap was not easy to fix, so make sure you buy. Car that this has been taken care of or fix it as soon as you get the car. It is quite annoying. Good luck!

16. Larmoss

Larmoss Rookie

Jan 29, 2008
    I just bought my first Ferrari 1999 456M GT - have had sports cars, muscle cars and hot rods. My every day car has been a Panamera Turbo. That was before i got the 456. The car, with a manual, drives well and is fun to drive. The car has 26k on it, windows work and other than smoking a bit on cold start, it runs great. As a first Ferrari, I don't have any experience with other models - did drive a 430 for a test - I would highly recommend the 456. I love the looks and truly enjoy the way it drives.

puckybadger and Il Tifoso like this.
  17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Get a bleed down check done, just in case the smoking is caused by a bad valve guide or two.

killer58 likes this.