Ferrari FF maintenance | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF maintenance

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by dkindels, May 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dkindels

dkindels Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kindelspire
    Thoughts on the FF in the 2012 range that will have the included 7 yr maintenance lapse? I live in the midwest and am about 8 hours from the nearest ferrari dealer. My choices would be go without the warranty and get something near a 2012 but have service done closer to me or go up in years and lower mileage but drive the car for service once a year to the dealer. Am i correct that the power warranty would require service to be done at the dealer to remain in effect? I am guessing tires etc would fall out of that warranty anyway and could be done locally without issue.

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    You are one of the few where the nearest Fcar dealer is farther than mine, at 5.5 hours. If you have a good local indy, there is no point to go to the dealer unless you enjoy taking a annual trip there and the car still have the 7 yr maintenance. Power warranty works need to be done at any of the Fcar dealers. Any good reputable tire shops can take care of the tires.

3. dkindels

dkindels Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kindelspire
    I guess I may be the record holder for distance from a dealer if I make the jump to the FF. Maybe others in the Midwest might chime in from North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, or even Kansas for any Ferrari, not just and FF.

4. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    Just bought a 2012 and it is out of maintenance. Not too worried since the maintenance is annual and overall is fairly basic stuff, oil, cabin filters, pollen filters, maybe gearbox oil, maybe brake fluid flush, maybe a belt all depending on mileage and condition. Gets a bit heavier with higher mileage of course, and depeds on what else they find, etc. A Ferrari dealer quoted me ~$2,100 for the service, and I have three local shops with ex-Ferrari Certified technicians that will do the work for far less.

For New Power Warranty, the Ferrari brochure only states "the vehicle must be inspected by an Authorized Ferrari Dealer to certify compliance with the quality requisites specified by Ferrari and verify its service history: services, routine and special maintenance". It doesn't say it has to be done at Ferrari. So, I'm guessing as long as you can prove maintenance has been done and Ferrari Service Technicians can't link a fault to your non-Ferrari tech, then the warranty would apply. Probably worth noting that this is specifically from the brochure, not the actual New Power contract which your dealer should have a copy of. That may provide better insight on the real nitty gritty details.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    is your dealer 8 hours away or is that 8 hours for anyone capable of working on the car? u wld be nuts to buy a Ferrari if its the latter!

6. dkindels

dkindels Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kindelspire
    Dealer is 8 hours away. I have someone within 3 hours for sure to work on it. I am looking into a local guy where I live who I believe works on Ferrari’s but I need to verify that.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh definitely figure that out first - ive owned my ff for 7 yrs and wld be lost if a competent person was no less than 8 hours away. There are gonna be electrical gremlins etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. dkindels

dkindels Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kindelspire
    I do have people here who can do routine maintenance found out. Outside of that, what have your independents been using for diagnostics? I know not many, if any, have the official Ferrari diagnostic tool due to the price of it.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my indes have the same stuff the dealer has i - i live 10 miles from one major dealer and 25 from another. we are spoiled here

10. dkindels

dkindels Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kindelspire
    Must be rough!

11. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am 90 min and 2 hours from dealers. There is no way in hell I would own one if I was 10 hours away and didn’t have a local person that I was confident could service the vehicle. It’s not the mechanical things I’m worried about. It’s the computers, electronics, ECUs, etc. I’m on my third FCar and the great joys of ownership is always interrupted by weird and crazy things gong on with the car....

randkin and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Lucky, you folks with all those dealers and indys close-by.

How much less with the local shops?

13. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    Haven't priced it out myself locally yet but maintenance history shows a previous independent shop did it for $1,173

otakki likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’m surprised that those FF seem to be so often in the shop for electronic issues... I mean it is a 2012 and up car... shouldn’t it be better than that?

15. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    What type of gremlins. I put a deposit on a 2012 with 28K miles today. I am having it inspected for the powertrain warranty. This will not cover electrical gremlins. What type of problems have you had?

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Search - there are a bunch. Suspension errors, awd errors, trunk doesnt always work electronically. Some of them go away with new batteries etc.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. dkindels

dkindels Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kindelspire
    It might be useful to know if these gremlins are minor annoyances or what. Does the car still function as needed despite the errors that pop up? I have read some clear with restarting the car or battery etc. Or is it in limp mode to the dealer?

18. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    If this is just due to a battery, I can live with that. My preferred service guy (Rich Kansky in Las Vegas) is over 400 miles away. I have a 2007 430 spider that he services annually and have never had a problem, except for the battery, that couldn't wait until the annual

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    A 430 is a different animal than an FF. FF is way more complicated. Doses your independent have the factory diagnostics etc?

Way2fast likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Its been both. Ive had errors my independent told me not to keep driving with that particular error. Others he has told me to ignore

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I feel like a lot of the newer cars are kind of killing the independents because they need all those tools and that forces u to go to the dealer. What a pity!
    Here in SF the dealer isn’t that crazy expensive but it’s just they charge for everything and that adds up quickly; plus in the end they are not that much better than the best Indy shop ...at least for my old Testarossa;)

WadeP likes this.
  22. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    A new battery is a must

I daily drive my FF and I still get battery related issues AND I am on a tender most nights

timjen88 likes this.
  23. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I don't use an independent. It is Ferrari of Las Vegas.

24. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    How often do you change the battery? The one in my F430 lasted 11 years

25. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It depends entirely on the weather it seems

A cold snap means I need new batteries sooner than earlier

I have a battery tester too, I get annoyed when my CCA drops too much, perhaps I'm too anal about things