Water wash or waterless wash? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Water wash or waterless wash?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrariGirl22, May 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric

I've used ONR Wash and Shine on my cars for a few years now and I don't notice any marring of the paint surfaces (at least not any extra marring than would be introduced by a careful two-bucket traditional wash method). On a light to medium soiled car I follow the ONR directions for a rinseless wash. However, I first liberally spray each panel (with a quick detailer made from the ONR wash) to presoak it before starting the rinseless wash. I think this simple extra step goes a long way to helping to avoid marring. The key is to use ample wash and a light touch. Save your elbow grease for scrubbing your dishes or the grill. I'll usually resoak my microfiber washcloth and rewash each panel one or two times before drying to make sure that I removed all of the dirt so that I'm not creating sand paper with my drying towel. A two-bucket method works well here if the car is moderately dirty. Also,I find that using distilled water for this wash routine gives extra impressive results as my tap water is very hard and contains a lot of minerals. I'm a big fan of ONR!

If the car is very dirty, I'll do a traditional wash with the ONR (i.e., garden hose and two-bucket wash method).

eyeman1234 likes this.
  2. FerrariGirl22

FerrariGirl22 Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Thanks for the tip DreamCarerra! Great suggestion about going over the car again before drying so no residual dirt scratches the car upon drying! I use distilled water as well. What do you use for presoaking?

3. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    Another ONR (Optimum NoRinse) User here.
    I've used it in a Rinseless Wash & as a Waterless wash (add a little bit to water in a spray bottle}
    Haven't seen any scratches or swirls due to the use. Paint is still flawless.

Ideally all this depends on how dirty the car is & paint type.
    I use it on my 430, 355 & also my C7 Vette
    My 64 & 68 Vette have Single Stage Paint which is more fragile but easier to Correct with a DA Polisher. I do use ONR on these as they are never very dirty either & the added benefit is keeping Water from getting trapped in the 50+ year old frames & other areas promoting rust.

FerrariGirl22 likes this.
  4. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric

To presoak the car I simply use a large spray bottle filled with a "quick detailer" I make from the ONR Wash and Shine (2 ounces of ONR to 32 ounces of distilled water). I do this one panel (or sometimes two panels) at a time so the presoak does not dry before washing. The presoaking technique provides good lubrication to help avoid scratching the paint while washing.

Nospinzone and FerrariGirl22 like this.
  5. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    Hi.

I’ve been using Aero Cosmetics for untreated original paint(458), wrapped (458S), and ceramic coated(GT3).

Works great especially for the latter two. I have a quicker trigger to hand wash or spray wash on untreated original paint. My 458 was Nero so it was even more worrisome.

Aero has plenty of lubricants, but surprisingly it doesn’t leave a lot of film behind. I prefer it over Chemical Guys and Adams.

Hope this helps.

FerrariGirl22 and RonH like this.
  6. FerrariGirl22

FerrariGirl22 Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Awesome thanks for the input! I've read good things about Aero as well.

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I blow dry mine but have not ceramic coated it. Not sure what you mean

8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It'll work more efficiently and faster with a coated car vs non-coated as it's less porous.

9. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Yup! Ceramic coated, the only way to fly!