Where to live in the UK...help requested | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Where to live in the UK...help requested

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by arizonaitalian, Apr 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    We “think” this job will be for one year and then a move to somewhere else in the UK for 3 years for GP certificate residency. Then - hopefully - off to New Zealand or Australia.

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If he does, I won’t miss!!! He’s a ****ing tool. Looks like a tramp with his oxfam charity shop suits and tramps shoes

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my house in kensington is coming up for rent starting in July.....pm if interested.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Haha!!! Never actually seen a labour candidate our way...suspect the mud and cow poop is enough to keep them away!

Daytonafan and Bas like this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Thanks, I figure just need to take plenty of holidays to get my sun fix is the way to go.

I'll be looking at deansgate area so very central/good area. Seen some very nice apartments that I can see myself living in for the foreseeable future. Me and my business partner are both car nuts so we seem to judge each office we view by how many private parking spaces as much as the actual building:D:D:D

London is nice but cost in good areas is maddening. Are you around manchester?

6. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I'm not currently in Manchester as I'm traveling but I have lived there most of my life and own several properties in the city center.

Might be worth looking into the new talls at the end of the deansgate, I've not been in them yet but I've heard that the fit is very high quality.

rental - https://www.westtowerdeansgatesquare.com/

to buy - https://www.deansgatesquare.com/south-tower-apartments

If you need advice about anything manchester related then just pm me!

Bas likes this.
  7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Thank you, those developments look really nice, will suit me well! There's some really nice developments in/around the deansgate/spinningfields area. I've been to Manchester once and I like the historic buildings mixed with modern.

When I've landed I'll let you know.

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My daughter lives in an apartment at the far SE end of Deansgate...
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4730372,-2.2569398,3a,75y,300.54h,100.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJyjmNOJDIZ1h_A5W7OwUfQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DJyjmNOJDIZ1h_A5W7OwUfQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D290.82913%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

The wharf is quite a lively place. She loves it. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4740439,-2.2566739,3a,75y,271.56h,84.36t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipObseIMBcvaiOP6CrTjdymCm0giC6OYDJicf60B!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipObseIMBcvaiOP6CrTjdymCm0giC6OYDJicf60B%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya53.157017-ro0-fo100!7i3840!8i1920

Bas likes this.
  9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    And then there is Dewsbury.;)

Oengus likes this.
  10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I thought he looked rather dashing in his new Waynetta tracksuit

daytona355 likes this.
  11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hehehehe........ I always think he’d not look out of place on a park bench with whisky in a paper bag, and string for a belt

Bas and davidoloan like this.
  12. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #62 davidoloan, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Outrun, MalcQV and gt4me like this.
  13. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Exactly, lying, smarmy, self righteous communist. He just looks like he stinks, can’t stand him, and his politics make me physically sick. His buddy JOHN McDonald is no better, another scumbag communist

sixcarbs likes this.
  14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

:D
    He clearly looks after himself, so just the right guy to look after a country

daytona355 likes this.
  15. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I only know London as a tourist, but would like to move to the UK myself. I bookmarked this page below some time ago. It has a breakdown of neighborhoods by post codes. Perhaps some actual UK locals can comment on its accuracy.

http://randomlylondon.com/moving/

N postcodes include a wide variety of nice areas and only a few not-so-nice ones. Most areas have a somewhat suburban feel. Great for families, not so great for nightlife.

• Money no object: Highgate.
    • Money to spare: Crouch End.
    • On a budget: Finsbury Park.
    • Be careful about: South Tottenham, Seven Sisters, and Edmonton.
    E postcodes generally contain areas that were not very desirable until recently. This is a good thing as it means prices tend be lower than elsewhere. However, it also means there are few truly nice areas; most are still in transition. Great for affordability, not so great for peace and quiet.

• Money no object: St Katharine Docks.
    • Money to spare: Wapping.
    • On a budget: somewhere in Hackney (but not for long), Walthamstow, Dalston (if you're a hipster), or Whitechapel.
    • Be careful about: Hackney (some areas), Beckton, and both East & West Ham.
    SE postcodes contain some the best and worst parts of London, so it's very important to investigate what each area is like. Includes areas that are affordable and great for families and nightlife, as well as areas that aren't great for any of those things.

• Money no object: Blackheath.
    • Money to spare: Greenwich.
    • On a budget: Abbey Wood, Kennington, Herne Hill, or New Cross and Peckham (for hipsters).
    • Be careful about: Lewisham, Elephant and Castle, and Thamesmead.
    SW postcodes defy generalisation; they extend to areas on the North side of the Thames, which are some of the most desirable places to live anywhere in the world. Yet, SW postcodes also include some of the most notorious and dangerous areas in England.

• Money no object: you've got a plethora of choices, including Belgravia, Chelsea, and South Kensington (among others).
    • Money to spare: Earl's Court or Fulham.
    • On a budget: Tooting, Streatham, parts of Clapham, Wandsworth, and Battersea.
    • Be careful about: Stockwell and South Wimbledon. Brixton is an interesting case because it used to have one the worst reputations in London but it's now gentrifying faster than almost anywhere else. If you are young and are looking to rent or buy in an area with good nightlife, check out Brixton before it becomes too expensive.
    W postcodes include areas that go from the merely pricey to the completely unaffordable. These range from leafy suburbs to the mansions of Mayfair. Generally, the postcode is a good area for kids and families but only if you can afford it. Also note that the further west you go, the more likely that noise from Heathrow will be an issue.

• Money no object: Mayfair.
    • Money to spare: Bayswater or Fitzrovia.
    • On a budget: Hammersmith or Acton.
    • Be careful of: North Kensington (especially the area around Latimer Road Station) and White City.
    NW postcodes also contain some of the most desired property in London and some of the most deprived estates in the whole of the UK. That said, it really has everything, from quiet suburban streets to the nightlife of Camden. Thus, it can be right or wrong for almost any way you want to live.

• Money no object: Hampstead or Primrose Hill.
    • Money to spare: Belsize Park (closer to Chalk Farm), Tufnell Park, or Queen's Park.
    • On a budget: Kilburn, Willesden, or Kentish Town.
    • Be careful of: South Hampstead, Camden Town, and Sommers Town.
    WC/EC: Honestly, if you can afford to live in a postcode that starts with WC or EC, go for it! These are the most centrally located postcodes in London (EC is the City and WC is the area immediately to the West of the city). While few Londoners ever get a chance to live so centrally, the opportunity is not one to be missed if you can manage it. In general, WC postcodes are slightly more expensive than EC ones.

Outer London Postcodes to Consider:

EN: is the Enfield postcode area and includes areas further north from London. Similar to, but cheaper than, N postcodes.

HA: is the Harrow postcode area and includes the famous Wembley stadium. It is the area immediately to the west of the NW postcode.

KT: is the Kingston upon Thames postcode area; it's west of the SW postcode area and contains a mix of desirable and not so desirable areas. Certainly cheaper than Central London.

TW: is the Twickenham postcode area. It is north of the KT postcode and west of the SW postcode. While you may not realise it, the TW postcode may be the first London postcode you visit when you arrive in London, since this is where Heathrow is located. So expect affordable property tinged with the noise of the airport.

UB: is the Uxbridge/Southall postcode area. While the area is fairly boring, many bits of it are well served by the tube, especially the ones along the Uxbridge branch of the Piccadilly and Metropolitan lines.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think its a decent introduction.

On a budget/be careful areas :

Give them a wide berth,if you can.

Seems to be people getting stabbed left right n centre recently,scary.All over uk.

OP wife will be working in White City (be careful area) and living quite a way out ,Ruislip area which is a reasonable place.

17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Yeah, the fake gangs that think they are the bloods and the crips are busy stabbing each other and anyone that happens to be in between..... I say give them more knives and let them wipe each other out, they aren’t exactly the most useful part of the community

Ferrari 308 GTB and Bas like this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I
    If him and his gang of lunatics get in, I’m sure he will invite Maduro over as his chancellor!

20. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks for this!

Update:

We found an apartment we like in “W2”, north of Hyde Park, about halfway up towards paddington station.

Thoughts on that area?

(It’s near the central line for her commute to Hammersmith Hospital. Although one of their affiliated hospitals - St Mary’s - is a 5 minute walk from the apartment. So we are hoping she can get shifts there in the future)

21. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    For me that is a good area and very close to the main attractions of Central London. Only thing I would say is if you are planning on buying a car (and this is after all a car site), parking permits might be expensive there although you are just outside the congestion charge zone.

Adding to Sixcarbs post above I really like (and used to live in) Chiswick in West London. it is close to Hammersmith Hospital. There are plenty of nice restaurants and cafes on the High Road, good links into Central London and also very easy to escape out of London in the car at the weekend.It would be under money to spare on the scale above.

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    W2 is London living ,totally different of course to Ruislip.

Close to everything ,if you can afford it good choice.

23. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #74 arizonaitalian, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. Not planning to own a car whilst in central london. Will rent a car for (hopefully frequent) driving tours of the rest of the UK.

Will keep Chiswick in mind as things evolve...

24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks for the reply. I had to laugh at myself today when I reread the first post...we went a totally different direction than originally hoped for...

Once she decided upon London for her work, and given that she may only be at that hospital for one year before having to move for GP training, it became obvious to avoid moving our belongings to the UK until we were more permanently settled in one place. Thus our thinking evolved to leave our stuff in storage in the USA and find a furnished apartment to “experience London” for a year while we could...

We are excited about this apartment we found. It’s got lots of windows (3rd floor, corner unit), it’s bigger than every other 2 bedroom unit we saw (albeit still small at 900 sq ft), it’s nicely renovated and furnished, and was £400 below our maximum budget.

It’s been decades since I lived in a small apartment...will add to the adventure I suppose!