State Farm - Drive Safe and Save program? | FerrariChat

State Farm - Drive Safe and Save program?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by VAF84, May 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

How do you all feel about State Farm Insurance Drive Safe & Save program?

My agent talked me into it, mostly as a way to prove the minimal miles I would put on the car. Mentioned it would just track the distance driven and maybe time the distance to get an idea of your driving (or something along those lines).

The other day I’m looking around the app on my phone and see that it had been tracking my acceleration, speeds, phone usage, braking, and cornering. It also shows me on a map where these events happens and traces the route I took. Needless to say I’ve been getting a one out of five star on every drive. I’m fairly certain I’m going to cancel the program. Worried this thing could be used against me at some point in the future. It feels very intrusive. I don’t even want it on my other cars where I drive more conservatively.

Anyone else in the program or have thoughts/experiences to share?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I would never, ever, not in a jillion years agree to do something like this.

AD211, Solid State, Wade and 3 others like this.
  3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    ^^^^^

This

Robb

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    VAF84 likes this.
  5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I did the "snapshot" with Progressive on 2 cars that were barely driven. Same thing as this. Tracks heavy braking and excessive acceleration (does admit to using GPS). After 6 months of using it, they told me I was getting a substantial discount on both cars. Wasn't going to affect my other cars.

Then I got my renewal.

My insurance went up across the board, negating any discount I would have gotten (no tickets, changes, etc.). I sold one car right after so it was a waste. Insurance on my pickemup stayed roughly the same, even though I was supposed to get like $100 off 6 months.

My dad also tried it on his Jag (which was a terrible idea to being with, 500+ HP XKR). Shop couldn't get rid of service light after oil change and wanted $$$$$$$$$ to fix it. He brought it to me and found that it had blown the fuse to his ECU. I replaced it and cleared his lights.

I wouldn't trust them, they could cause damage AND raise your insurance depending on the state (they disclose this), and for the pieces of Chinese **** they are, you are risking your ECU. I cringe when people talk about their $10 Amazon code readers on their Ferraris.

6. Joseph Felton

Joseph Felton Rookie

Jan 11, 2019
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    My wife and I had the Snapshot on our vehicle for about 2.5 weeks. Only one time did it ever beep, indicating a hard brake. One day our brand new vehicle, 2018, was dead. We got it up and running and unplugged the device. We instantly got an email saying it has been disconnected and the service was stopped. We checked the information it had stored from our previous drives and found it had given us the worst rating it had. My wife drives with our daughters in the vehicle and rarely speeds. These things are a joke and can screw with your vehicle. Don't do it!!

7. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    only approved for snowflakes

8. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    They did away with it in CA according to my agent, couple months ago.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If you have a "hard brake" incident to avoid that child running into the street after the ball... Well, that goes against you.

The other day, Allstate sent me a quote for my DD which was about 20% less than my current rate with USAA. But the catch was to use their Drivewise app. Yeah, right. o_O

Allstate Drivewise Review: The Pros and Cons

10. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I wonder if that's why some people refuse to accelerate on an onramp so they cause a huge slowdown, and then others refuse to accelerate quickly out of the slowdown so it lingers for hours.

JTSE30 and VAF84 like this.
  11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Ditto, I'm cancelling this. Luckily it didn't require installing anything directly onto the car. It's just a little square you keep in the car, then you run their app on your phone when you drive it. Thanks for the input everyone.

12. blown94conv

blown94conv Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    Berlin, CT
    Full Name:
    David
    It’s never to your benefit.

ZINGARA 250GTL likes this.
  13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Do ya think??

ZINGARA 250GTL likes this.
  14. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    Drive in a spirited manner and you’re viewed as a danger.

Meanwhile the guy driving 5mph below the limit in the left lane while shaving gets a discount.

As does the woman in the Camry in front of me who is creating a moving chicane that causes a line of cars 20 deep to form.

No thanks.

Robb and VAF84 like this.
  15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Anything that allows any agency to track your movements, watch or listen to you, is a very very very dangerous contraption. They could be used to insinuate blame in an incident, all sorts. Stay away, I’d rather pay more for insurance and be totally anonymous than have some Indian call centre shut down my car because I decided to open her up on a nice stretch of road

VAF84, APA#1 and Robb like this.
  16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I thought of getting one of those from Progressive (I don’t deal with them today), plugging it into the Lotus, thrashing around Sebring for a weekend and then asking for a quote.

Then I thought nah. Why bother.

17. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The device will drain your battery faster as well. Modules shut down after a certain time off to conserve energy. Unless something is plugged into the dlc port. Then they can stay awake constantly in some vehicles.

18. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    What a dreadful idea. What were you thinking?!? When a company (or government) wants you to submit to surveillance, it's NEVER to your benefit, no matter how it's couched.

Robb and Dolcevita like this.
  19. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    But what about the children? (works every time)

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm not going to sign up for it yet. I'm going to wait until they equip me with a body camera and mic so they can see how I use the bathroom and interact with my wife in the bedroom.

21. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Of course it will be used against you in the future. THAT is their whole purpose. You just gave away your 4th Amendment right to privacy. Having OnStar is just as bad.

22. bertha01

bertha01 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    bertha ales
    Following!this seems like a very interesting thread[​IMG]