308 Passenger Side Fuel Tank Removal | FerrariChat

308 Passenger Side Fuel Tank Removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by mattboyd, May 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    I have no questions here, just was looking for the right group to sarcastically lament to, and I figured f-chat was the right place. :)

So my euro 308 qv started stinking up the garage and the house with fuel smell. Clearly it was leaking, so I decided it was likely that it was the lower crossover pipe hoses. I've replaced those before but it was probably 15 years ago, so I ordered new and new hoseclamps and proceeded to continue driving the car until it was as low on fuel as I was comfortable with before finally draining it earlier this week.

The leak stopped once I got the tank pretty low, and I looked under the car and it appeared also that the leak might be coming from higher up than just that crossover pipe hose, so that's when I decided to pull that passenger side tank to have it repaired. About 15-20 years ago I had the same issue on the other tank, and the shop that repaired that tank will be doing the repair on this one.

Anyhow, for the lament....

All I need to do is weld the tank. Right, but before that I guess I need to take the tank out. Ok, I'll take the tank out. But wait, it's full of fuel. Ok, drain it. But it's half full, where are you gonna put 10 gallons of gasoline? Ok, drive it till it's empty. Ok, now drain it. Wait, that catcher is full! Ok, put as much fuel in the red fuel can in the garage as you can into the lawnmower, now put what's in the catcher into the red fuel can. Rats, it's full and I have more fuel to drain. Ok, pour the 93 octane fuel in the 06 Honda Odyssey. Ok....drain the rest. Ok, done. Ok, pull the tank. Wait, it's connected by the crossover pipe, the fuel vent pipe, and the return from the K-Jet fuel distributor. Ok, disconnect those. Hmm, that vent pipe has never been off in 34 years so it's gummed in place. And that fuel hose from the K-Jet doesn't want to come off (although it is fairly new, it's still hard to pull off). And that one hose I thought was the leak? Well it's as pliable as new so it wasn't hard. Ok, pull the tank. Wait, remove the strap. But I can't get a wrench or anything in there because apparently someone sometime must've bottomed out or hit something just where that strap nut is. Ok, take a pry bar and pry down on that metal so you can get to the nut. Ok, turn that nut a tiny bit at a time. Finally, the strap is loose and I can pull the tank. Wait, it won't come. What's in the way? The rotor? Rats. Ok, that's held on by two locating pins. Wait, also the caliper also has to come off. Fine, I'll do it another night. Ok, I'm back, two bolts for the caliper, right? Yup. Wait, I can't get to them because the hard brake line is *right* in front of them. *sigh* Pull the hard brake line off, meaning later I have to bleed or flush the brakes. Fine. Two bolts of the caliper off, got it. Now those locating pins. Wait, where is my 13mm deep socket? Not here? Use a closed end wrench then, fine. Wait....it's gonna round it off! Ok, put the non-deep socket on there and fit the rachet on the socket partway....hey, that broke them free! Yay! I have everything off now, just need to get the rotor off. No budge. Ok, get the rubber mallet. Wait, where is the rubber mallet? Not here. Ok, use my big long screwdriver and keep using it as a prybar over and over and over until the rotor comes off.

And then the tank came out easily.

The end.

For now.

BigTex, smg2 and dflett like this.
  2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Hmm... seems like you are missing the 15 minute search for either the big long screwdriver or that one bolt that dropped just at your feet. Otherwise an accurate statement of fixing anything on any car that only has two bolts holding it in, anytime that you have told someone that you'll have that off in just a few minutes. Oh, and you left off the part where you will now need to repaint the tank, clean the strap, polish the hose clamp (wait, is that just me?), and clean the rust and paint off every fastener. Yeah. Why anything on a car takes two weekends *IF* you already have parts in hand, just FYI, the parts you have in hand a.) Don't fit that year, b) are longer or shorter than what you need, or c) were shown incorrectly in the exploded drawing on the online catalog.

There is no need to have more than one car to restore. Ever. But I do have a few more than that.

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    We’ve all been there. It’s horrible when you are in the middle of it but strangely satisfying once you’re done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    That reads like a page torn from my car repair diary :)

dflett likes this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Why are you running 93 octane in a 308 QV? It only requires 87.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Try removing a steering rack, then come back and lament. A fuel tank is ... walk in the park.

Pero likes this.
  7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I'll see your steering rack and raise you the front air vent hose hidden behind the brake booster.

Just about anything buried in the front of these damn cars is a massive pita. Want some real fun? Re run the coolant and brake vacuum line from front to back...

Pero likes this.
  8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I found that fairly easy on my car. What scares me is the next job. Removal of the wiper mechanism.

Best from Germany
    Martin

308 milano likes this.
  9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I have wiper remove/clean/regrease/replace, brake booster & heater line install and both AC line install coming up. Fortunately have an empty engine bay but have no puller lines to help get the hoses through. I am not looking forward to it.

10. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    Here's a new cruel twist.

I just got a call from the shop....I dropped the tank off last night and he's pressure tested it.

No leaks.

Leak must've just been that lower pipe hose.

*sigh*

11. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #11 Saabguy, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Maybe it's just a small leak, you could smell the gas when it's only a little leak... or any of the other hoses since the leak was only above a certain level of fuel.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #12 johnk..., May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Check out the small hose for the fuel return from the injection (red). The nipple on the tank comes straight out and the hose has to make a sharp turn right at the connection. The hose wears through due to being bent over the edge of the nipple. This creates a small leak which typically runs down the side of the tank and drips onto the floor if it gets too bad. If the piece if rubber that protects the upper, inside of the tank is still there the fuel may run down behind it so the leak would appear to be lower on the tank. See if there are any fuel stains on the side of the tank.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    Thanks, I will check that.....it is a fairly new hose, the braided fabric type, I replaced it maybe 10-15 years ago. That may not seem new, but compared to what I assume most folks have as original over 30 years old, it looks fresh and new. I'll take a good look at it and its clamp. I actually had those clamps replated (yellow zinc dichromate) when I replaced that hose way back then....along with all the hard fuel lines/etc.....and new black polyamid lines, etc.....

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    ethanol …..

15. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Triple hoses to vacuum pot then charcoal canister are also a very typical leak point.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well done...

My first problem was a blown front header...so your read went just like mine!!

With a new header...good to check out your tanks now and then tho..peace of mind.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, but he said it was a euro car.

18. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    Correct, I don't have that stuff on the pure Euro car that I'm fortunate to have (only side marker lights were added, otherwise, the real pure deal....:)