MORE DIY SHARES: $100 Stick-on (no drilling) rear wing | FerrariChat

MORE DIY SHARES: $100 Stick-on (no drilling) rear wing

Discussion in '360/430' started by _JERRY_, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Product from China:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Its lightweight - Stuck on via 3M d-side tape.
    Aesthetics purpose ONLY.

Foam sponges added to the tips of the rear wing, to prevent vibration damage on car body.
    Enjoy!. Cheers!

NB: Pls note, the wing is a universal wing. Some imaginative customisation might have to be done, to ensure a good fit. The base mounts dont conform perfectly to the contour of the car body, because they are flat. But all in all, have been driving thru sun and rain, and it has held on.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  2. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    no offense but why would anyone ever put a little honda wing or any wing on a modena

Ryan... likes this.
  3. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Because it looks similar to some of the hamann ones . Of course the dimensions are not as accurate . But for one hamann wing , I could buy 20 of these. That and , these don’t require drilling. If u ever want to sell ur car , u can just remove it, and the buyer can pay premium for a stock. Hope that elevates some of your confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I wouldn’t want to be behind you on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Thanks for the post, I can understand why you would want a reversible modification, but I would be very wary about using large stick-on things like that. That tape may be good now, but through heat/cold cycles, rain/car washes, it may not have the same properties, leading to it falling off and damaging something or someone else. Just my opinion, it doesn't need it, the car is beautiful as is.

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The forces on the wing stays on a spoiler are so great once you get over 100mph that it will not be sufficient to use 3M stickers. It will fly off..

I've even seen spoilers rip off from sheet metal points because they where not fixed at load bearing double skinned areas. No way a sticker can work. Dangerous and potentially a lethal weapon to anyone behind... Dont do it. Get it fitted properly if your going to do it.

Bas, I'm 360 Canuck, frank320 and 2 others like this.
  7. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Nobody would on a modena... but they would on a F430.

8. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Gone thru Rain shine for a week no issues even with the engine heat. The key to this spoiler is, it’s aesthetics only, it’s completely hollow and very very light .

I’m not arguing with any points made here, just sharing my experience for $100 which is less than 2 days petrol using it as a DD.
    I’m not trying to be a road hazard

9. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    It’s a cheap reversible if you like spoilers . And in my opinion doesn’t look bad or I’d have taken it off already. Your taste may differ

10. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    To be frank , I thought it’d fly off too. The heat resistant 3M dtape is really impressive. Coupled by how light this thing actually is. It doesn’t have to hold against much weight. The main thing would be the counter air flow at high speed , but so far it seems like it’s holding well. Just my share. I mean sure bolt on with drill in will be more secure , it’d be silly to argue against that. But, you also gotta look at how much ur saving , plus no drill damage, as Long as it holds.

11. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    I’ll update u guys if and when it does “fly off”. Till then , no news is good news.

12. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    The only thing i see is the tips of the spoiler being close to the body . I know you added the foam but that still scares me a little .

13. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    it is good for cars and coffee. put it on after you arrive, take it off when you leave.....

frank320 likes this.
  14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Pic shows a 430, so no harm to us Modena owners;)

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Absolutely horrible

(and no I'm not a purist)

frank320 likes this.
  16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Here's my 360 with a rear wing attached, some don't like the wing but i can honestly say at least the grip into high speed corners is really improved.

I can hold on even more into a corner than a 458 and carry a lot more speed through corners too on the track. Might not please purists but it does work and now I really need a front splitter too to balance it even more. It is drilled and bolted though and really it's quite a simple change to revert if I ever wanted to but I know it won't fall off...

No way would I take the risk like this of it falling off and injuring someone. If someone died how would you feel? Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bas and frank320 like this.
  17. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    #17 _JERRY_, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Maybe I should specify it’s a city drive for me 24/7. If ur going at 100mph or above in the city, I think that’s more of a hazard than the rear wing falling off

For the past week, I’ve examined its adhesion after every drive.( thru rain and shine ). The adhesion strength has been impressive to say the least. As reckless as this install may seem to some of u here, I’ve been doing my due diligence. Like I said, I’m not wanting it to fly off either. Heh

Lastly , this install is purely aesthetics as I’ve said earlier. I don’t expect it to do anything positive for the physics of the drive. Cheers.

Honestly speaking , are the naysayers looking down on this cuz it’s cheap? Or , if this install works to any degree, you would feel upset having spent thousands on a bolt on? Can’t blame my thought trend ya?

Fact : as of this post 2 weeks in, it’s still nicely tugged onto my rear. You can take that for what it’s worth.

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Stick on wing...so bad in so many ways...

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  19. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    I understand the concerns. I like wings , but don’t want to do any drilling. Just sharing this as an alternative.

Is this more secure than a bolt on? No

Will this suffice? We shall see.

20. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Looks like doo doo

Rhoads56 likes this.
  21. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looks like it cost at least $100

arizonaitalian and Oengus like this.
  22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

So, ya take your $100K+ used car, and ya stick a $100 wing on it, TO SAVE SOME MONEY and get a fakey-do look?

There are times that logic seems to escape us, this is one of those times.

D

Gizzi and frank320 like this.
  23. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    It’s only as strong as the weakest link, which may actually be the primer/paint to the metal.

How can you remove it in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Some people choose function over form in an effort to enhance performance...you have chosen the opposite.

frank320 likes this.
  25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This is definitely another aspect... this $100 mod may cost several thousands of dollars in the form of a paint job.