Knee deep | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Knee deep

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mechanical Dad, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Wonderful thread and very nice work you're doing :)
    The front signals are indeed a PITA, the plastic is of such a bad quality! It falls apart just looking at it.

2. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks! I couldn't believe how brittle they are getting. New ones will be here next week! On this car, or most of my projects, I tend to go with function over originality. This car will never be a show winner and it doesn't bother me either. I would rather have a great functional car and be able to drive the paint off it than a garage queen in all original shape. I hope my little project here is helping you guys get in the garage and do some work. I've been having my 4yr old son downstairs with me at times watching and learning as well. I was 4 when I first discovered Ferrari and the fire has never stopped. My little guy is blessed to have loving, hard working parents that made it possible to have a real one in the garage that will be his someday. My wife was not much of car person, and this car opened her eyes a bit and that's what it's all about isn't it?

MvT, Roward7, Temple and 2 others like this.
  3. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    It was converted to R134a I believe years ago. It has a newer dryer on it (which has an R12/134a label on it) and one of the previous owners told me he was 90% sure it was r134. As far as you said cleaning the system with nitrogen, never heard of that, but I was hoping there was a way to flush the air and such out. Luckily I have a nitrogen tank for tires and shock rebuilding! I am buying the neccessary tools to properly charge and service the system as I get requests from my customers to service the AC systems on their construction equipment.

4. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Picked up some LEDs to try. Happy with the results so far. Got a new flasher relay as well. Drivers side is LED and passenger side is conventional for comparison. Tough to get the lighting and angles the same but you get the idea. It's not a world of difference, but I am pleased with the increase in output and in turn the less draw on the entire system. So far I'm just going to do the 4 rear lights, front turn signals and running lights. Interesting note: the turn signal bulb in the dash WAS brighter on the LED side than on the conventional side when flashing. Every little bit helps! Bulbs are Pilots LED amber 1156 and red 1157 from Napa. Flasher is also napa EP34L. Had to swap the wires around in the harness but that was easy. Sealing washer for the Kjet came today so next is fuel system flush before I install it all again. More to come.... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

theunissenguido and JLF like this.
  5. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
  6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Where are the front blinkers from?

7. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    theunissenguido likes this.
  8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Are those originals or reproductions?

9. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
  10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Interesting, good I didn't invest in repro parts a couple of years ago :)
    I cannot find them on eBay. Who makes them?

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Josh!

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  12. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    New terminals, old housing vs old terminals, old housing. The old set up as far a brightness was almost a joke how far better my improved set up with better grounds and LED's are now. Should have it running this afternoon! Finished swapping spark plugs last night, put in new engine oil (Valvoline VR1) and gearbox oil (RP Max Gear). Indtalled the way too clean WUR and Fuel distributor. I'm pretty excited to start it after being dormant since October! The reason I went with RP this time was when I first got the car, i thought it shifted quite well, however I changed all the fluids while I serviced it and put in Redline 75w90NS as most reccomend. I did find a few other small things wrong during the service as far the shift fork being loose and slightly out of adjustment. Afterwards it shifted great under higher throttle runs, but was a bit notchy in town. The most recent owner told me he had run RP in it and never had an issue. So I figured lets give it a try. I will post the results. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JLF, theunissenguido and ronfrohock like this.
  13. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    As promised: IT RUNS! only ran it for about 5 minutes as its past 11 here and the rest of my family is sleeping. Luckily this bay is closed off so it's a bit quieter. I can already hear the difference in how it sounds. Can't wait to drive it !!! More to come tomorrow, gotta be up at 5. Life is good !

JLF and afterburner like this.
  14. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    JLF, 2cam, Jeka and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    After a few drives, it keeps getting better and better. Ive only been able to do 226km or 140 miles, but now I am wondering what I should tackle next? (Besides the A/C !) Maybe the slow wipers?

16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Love the wood wheel, have one on mine, nice! Makes it an instant classic. Haters? See my ex and join the line.
    Alden

17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock