Solenoids /aftermarket alternatives | FerrariChat

Solenoids /aftermarket alternatives

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Chris Mondi, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    I’m looking for an aftermarket alternative for the trunk/engine cover/front lid solenoid part# 60536500. I’ve seen this discussed in the past and answers such as “look in a hot rod magazine” have come up. Can anyone help me with a specific replacement part# I can use and if any modifications are required? I’m not too mechanically/electrically incline so I don’t know what to look for exactly....

I’m getting tired of pulling the trunk cable lol,

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Chris,
    I was thinking about this last night.
    I wonder if an electrical motor repair shop could help?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    It’s in all our best interests to figure it out. The Ferrari ones are a joke. Crazy pricing, little availability and 30+ year old technology. There HAS to be an easy cheap fix to this??

Yes, repairing them could definitely be an option...

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Well, like I said on FB, I have a number of units in excellent condition. But: they can be repaired easily as long as they haven't corroded internally. Apart from that, you must also check that 12V is passed to the solenoid. The fusebox may be the issue.

5. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    Yes, it’s definitely the solenoid. It was tested with 12V. I have a recent fusebox and gold connector kit upgrade from David Helms so that’s not the issue. It’s good to know they can be repaired

6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Try Hot Rod mags. Rodders have bee using them for 50 years on their handless doors and trunks. Not rocket science, and they come in dozens of sizes and configurations at reasonable prices. Hope this helps. Jq.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the solenoid coil has failed, any good electrical repair shop can rewind the coil. Look out for a place that rewinds electric motors

8. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
  9. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    So I contacted a starter/alternator repair shop. He said that he used to repair them for many years but doesn’t anymore because of the cheap cost to replace them, however in my case he’s willing to have a look and also see what other 12V solenoids may work for my application. We are getting somewhere!

I checked that link. It looks like all the 12V solenoids are in the $20-$25 range which makes it absolutely ridiculous to pay the Ferrari prices...

stekkefun4 likes this.
  10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Yea, but if you buy one that isn’t from Ferrari, it won’t come in one of those cool yellow box’s. :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    I have to admit, I got pretty excited with that little yellow box when my new center caps showed up in the mail lol. I hope your toggles come in a yellow envelope

12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  13. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I got on ebay and bought a set of lock poppers. Now I press a button on my key ring and pop goes the trunk!

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    All they do is measure the wire diameter and the number of turns or its finished diameter and reload the core with similar

15. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    So how much are the solenoids with the horsey on the yellow box?

16. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    You can pick up a used one from Red Bay cars for 225€ or trade your kidney for a new one...

17. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you still need a rear boot/trunk solenoid, I have 1x spare brand new one as I had 2x specially made when I fully restored my 1985 QV Mondial (mine was missing) . I sent one of my original solenoids to a UK manufacturer and they made 2x of them, matching the dimensions and coil power etc...