My father passed away recently. Photos of his classic Ferraris. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My father passed away recently. Photos of his classic Ferraris.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 4thGen, May 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Did he not own any when you were a young adult and later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wow..he owned the best of the best. I'm sure he is back at the wheels again!

Thanks for sharing!

FourFiveGreat and 4thGen like this.
  3. 4thGen

4thGen Rookie

May 16, 2019
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    L. Kitt Tucker IV
    He retired to the mountains with a 328 GTS. Apparently he forgot to put it in the garage when it started to snow and when he started the car, the engine blew, or a cylinder seized or something along those lines. IIRC, water had somehow got into the engine, frozen solid, and when he tried to start the car, the engine was severely damaged. And because he was now in a brand new area with no Ferrari dealers or reliable mechanics within hundreds of miles, he had a very hard time fixing it. In hindsight, he should have towed the car to a Ferrari dealer but didn't. He found someone local that claimed could fix it and they ruined the engine. If he was back home, he had a dealer up the street that could fix his cars, change the oil, etc. But since he retired to the mountains with no local dealer, everything was an ordeal and simply not worth it.

I will say, shortly before he retired, he was invited to purchase the F40, he accepted, then changed his mind because he had the 328, and it was more practical in the mountains, and sold his allocation. He regretted it forever. Both missing the F40 and the moving to the mountains. Later in life, he did eventually move back to Florida but never purchased another Ferrari. That being said, I know for certain his love for horses never diminished since the passwords for his computers were always various vintage Ferraris with model numbers.

When I get my Ferrari, I want to pick it up in Maranello where I will also spread my father's ashes. I know that's what he would have wanted. Yes, I know Ferrari doesn't do Euro-Delivery and it will be a logistics nightmare to have it insured while I drive it around Italy and have it shipped back to the states but I'll find a way to make it happen. I just want to say good-bye to my dad in a fashion he deserves. In a brand new Ferrari driven by his son. That will be an amazing day.

4. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you so much for sharing the photos and stories. Makes me wish I was born earlier when people could drive and enjoy these cars instead of keeping them in museums. Your dad sounds like he was a heck of a guy and lived a great life and raised a great son. At the end of the day all we really have are memories and you are lucky to have so many good ones. Welcome to the site and thanks for taking the time to scan and share all of the photos!

f355spider, Formula Uno and 4thGen like this.
  5. baschul

baschul Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian S
    Sorry for your loss. Welcome to Fchat. Best thread ever. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are able to able to work through taking delivery of your Ferrari in Maranello and giving your dad the proper sendoff.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i almost say screw a new ferrari and buy one of ur dad's cars!!!!

7. 4thGen

4thGen Rookie

May 16, 2019
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    L. Kitt Tucker IV
    While I like the idea of buying the California for sentimental reasons, I could never pull the trigger. I obviously love my Dad and will cherish his memory but this is my time. That being said, we do share some similarities. Like my father before me, I'm not a collector, I'm a driver. And any car I purchase will be daily-driven, rain, shine, road trips, Whole Foods, whatever, wherever. The only problem I currently have is that my wife and I are planning to have our first child and they don't make infant seats for Ferraris. I jokingly tell my wife we'll just throw the baby in the frunk with some bubble wrap and hope for the best. :D

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Fantastic plan. I hope the factory cooperates with you.

LARRYH and 4thGen like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Love it.

4thGen likes this.
  10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    One of the best threads on this Forum.
    I'm happy that you are a part of our family now.

BigTex, WJHMH, Formula Uno and 3 others like this.
  11. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    This was one of the most meaningful and heartfelt threads in a Long long long time, thank you for posting and my condolences, it looks like your father as well as your family lived a wonderful life, RIP.

12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    What an amazing story and pictures; thank you so much for sharing. Goes without saying that I am sorry for your loss. You do have some amazing memories and pictures to treasure and it is so nice to see the human side of us all from time to time!

As to baby seats; I will never forget as a 16 year old in Geneva on a ski strip, (1984) I saw a 288 GTO with a baby seat bolted to the bulkhead. I certainly wasn't into kids then, but I thought that was the coolest thing ever! I do remember the guy looks so cool, and the wife...HOT! Come to think of it, that must have been March ish time. Imagine a 288 GTO out in the snow today!!!

Unfortunately those days are gone; as I use to sit on the parcel shelf of my parents TR4A with the dog when we went out :) I can still remember the thrill of going over hump back bridges!

4thGen likes this.
  13. bertha01

bertha01 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    bertha ales
    nice sharing[​IMG]

4thGen likes this.
  14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Amazing thread, thanks for sharing with us!

FourFiveGreat and 4thGen like this.
  15. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Fantastic photos. Welcome, and thank you for posting. Looks like your Dad had some fun!

4thGen and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Definitely THE best thread ever on Fchat. Ferrari's and dad's :)

My dad has been an incredible supporter and great inspiration to me. My number one goal in life always has been/will be to have him be proud of me!

Thanks for sharing

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    This wonderful thread should be moved to the vintage section. EVERY CLASSIC FERRARI FAN MUST SEE IT!!!

Nembo1777, 4thGen and colombo2cam like this.
  18. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    One of the coolest threads I've ever seen on Fchat. Your father was clearly a hell of a guy, with impeccable taste.

Very sorry for your loss, thank you so much for sharing all of this. These photos have me drooling.

19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My sincere condolences on the loss of your father. Thanks for posting these wonderful pictures. Your dad owned most of my all time favorite Ferraris.

Whereabouts did you live in Florida? If it's not too intrusive perhaps you'd consider posting something about your father's professional life.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Wow, thank you for sharing...so many great cars he owned!

My sincere condolences.

21. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Your father would be proud as you celebrate his life. My dad passed a few years ago at 93 but I remember giving him his first ride in my Ferrari. He immediately instructed me to drive over to one his buddies house to show it off. He was beaming with life that day! My condolences. Thanks for sharing a great story about a great man.

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Sorry for your loss, condolences. While my father was no Ferrari owner, his love of cars was passed on to me. My brothers and I have vivid memories of the entire family of 6 in his ‘67 Austin-Healey (my dad driving, mom in passenger seat with my sister on her lap, my brother and I in the jump seats, and my oldest brother in middle with ass on the rear deck). Couldn’t do that today!

When I purchased my E-Type, the smell of the interior and leather immediately reminded me of the old Austin-Healey. My brothers said same, and we were all getting teary-eyed over the memory.

When my dad purchased a 1961 Corvette (I was 10 at the time), I still remember the name of the guy he bought it from, where he bought it, what he paid, and the ride home in it. I was like a dog with my head out the window, what a wonderful memory.

I hope you can acquire one of his cars, if possible and something you want. I still own my dad’s 1967 Honda motorcycle, which he purchased from the original owner in late 1967. It’s not a collector piece, but the memories of being on it as a child are priceless. It takes up a small corner in my cluttered garage, but it may as well be a shrine because of the lifetime contained within.

Great stories and a wonderful way to honor someone you clearly loved so much!!!

4thGen and Texas Forever like this.
  23. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice collection

4thGen likes this.
  24. 4thGen

4thGen Rookie

May 16, 2019
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    L. Kitt Tucker IV
    #99 4thGen, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Ponte Vedra, FL. I was just 13 when he retired to Elk River, NC so I honestly don't know enough to share stories about his professional life. I just know he was in finance and real estate throughout the Jacksonville area, had inherited companies started by my grandfather and great uncle, and bought his first Ferrari at 33.

LARRYH and Jack-the-lad like this.
  25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks.

Ponte Vedra is a beautiful place, home to Hurley Haywood. I live in the Florida panhandle now after >50 years in south Florida, but I think the northeast coast is ideal.

4thGen likes this.