Is the Monza selling? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Is the Monza selling?

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by BarryK, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    #101 Camlet1, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Thanks. Reluctantly I did not. I would have had to sell my F50. To be clear, I was not offered an allocation first time round, which was absolutely fine, there are much heavier hitters. My dealer subsequently suggested it. I thought it unfair to push harder, although I was surprised I wasn’t asked to see the actual car, just informed by the dealer how much I would have to pay as a deposit and by when. Which put me off.

2. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I'm sorry to hear that. Would be nice if they could beef up the last 599 manual tranny.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Maybe... but not being able to drive it on US roads is really going to hurt it in the long run.

Its like buying a great meal at a fantastic restaurant --- and then only looking at it.

sixcarbs likes this.
  4. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I also declined the allocation I was offered. Tough decision though. I decided to invest a similar amount in a 250 gt lusso instead...
    Not sure if I’ll regret this choice one day, anyway I cannot go wrong with a lusso...

Bundy, willcrook, LARRYH and 3 others like this.
  5. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Agreed. It is a tough decision because the Monza is automotive art at the highest level. The SP2 in particular; IMO just beautiful.

However, yes, it's impossible to go wrong with a Lusso; the pictures of McQueen with his is off-the-charts cool. Enjoy.

stavura, Bundy, LARRYH and 3 others like this.
  6. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    If the Stirling Moss Mercedes SLR received a “Show and Display Waiver” from the NHTSA why wouldn’t the Monza? I suggest you look up the list of all eligible cars currently approved for Show and Display on the NHTSA web site and it will convince you that the Monza will be able to be driven (a maximum of) 2500 miles a year in the US. The only real criteria for concern is that it passes the EPA standard. Being that the drive train is from an EPA certified 812 Superfast it should pass. As long as Ferrari will certify that they have not built more than 500 of either the SP1 or SP2, and that production has been completed the Monza should be exempt and be able be driven on the street.

I would be kicking myself if I had been offered a Monza and passed, not for missing the financial appreciation but for missing the fun driving experience and it’s uniqueness.

elmadi, stavura, Boomhauer and 4 others like this.
  7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Very interesting points about Icona pricing. I agree that pricing it at the hypercar level is a lot of $$$ for the company today, and there is no question of them leaving money on the table, so shareholders are happy.

But I am also old enough to remember back in 1989 when the flagship testarossa was selling at 5 x list price, at over €500k. In the next years the bubble burst, and you could by a testarossa for €100k. Imagine if Ferrari had priced the next testrossa version at €500k at the height of the bubble rather than €150k as they did. It would have destroyed a big chunk of their franchise. That's where short term shareholder gains don't always translate to long term gains for the company.

What we are seeing with the Icona pricing is a less extreme version of that.

willcrook and 09Scuderia like this.
  8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think this is the key strategic question for Ferrari over the long term.

They have significantly increased output and product lines and upped the price as well. It's easy to pay deposits and rotate cars when you lose minimal amounts and the limited series typically make up for your losses and you are net zero to slightly positive but have experienced some of the greatest cars produced. I am not convinced that customers will continue to line up when the net return will be -10% to -30%.

I personally side with the strategy of a CEO who was a Ferrari lifer, was invested in the brand (not share price) and made it into the prestigious brand that it is today vs. that of someone who was meant to lead Ferrari (according to his own timetable) for 5-6 years and had every incentive to maximise the short/medium term share price (which based on history of luxury brands has always come at the cost of the long term brand value) of the company.

9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    You are obviously referring to Luca, as opposed to Sergio -- and my personal opinion is that your comments are spot on.

The recent shift to shorter-term horizons is typical of post-IPO corporation, and will NOT bode well longer term. Same ol' story.... (except this time it is our beloved Ferrari, so we ALL say ouch)

rob lay and 09Scuderia like this.
  10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Why less extreme? They are selling at 4 to 5 times cost. Maybe more.

11. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Less extreme because Ferrari produced nearly 10,000 Testarossas unlike the 499 limited production Monsanto.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Spell check did it again

Monza

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    it's insane to think of the Monza selling for 5x RRP - that'd be $10,000,000 !

14. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Not happening.

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    roma said 5x cost not 5x msrp

roma1280 likes this.
  16. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I was referring to: "but I am also old enough to remember back in 1989 when the flagship testarossa was selling at 5 x list price, at over €500k"

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What is the final msrp in the USA?

18. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    $1.8m plus options plus tax, so about &2m all-in

of2worlds likes this.
  19. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    While I understand the nostalgia around Luca’s strategy (I loved his passion too), there is no way a car manufacturer can grow and have enough money to invest in R&D and regulatory compliance by producing limited edition cars that people can buy without ever putting money at risk, as they double in value the day they are produced. Production & profit will be too small in absolute terms.
    One can either go down the VW/Audi path and offer you the same platform as a Q7, a Cayenne, a Bentayga or an Urus changing clothes and trim to suit your taste (while you drive essentially the same car), produce a low-price model in 250,000 copies a year and halo cars every now and then, or make truly unique driving machines and sell them at a substantial margin to production cost. All three strategies are sound from a business perspective and have worked for different manufacturers. Which one do you prefer for our favourite brand?

At the end of the day we all have to question if we like the Prancing Horse because of the cars or because the cost of ownership in the last 5 years has been negligible

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and ajr550 like this.
  20. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

Disagree. Ferrari was investing enough to launch a series of spectacular cars starting from the mid-90s to the LaFerrari in 2013. Furthermore, if you look at the pre-IPO filings data from 2015, the company was profitable and was earning a return on equity that compared favourably with its automative peers. In other words they were doing just fine.

The post-IP change of strategy was targeting financial ratios similar that of a luxury handbag manufacturer. So now we have the focus on all the cosmetic options, loro piana bits for the Icona buyer etc. This may make money for the shareholders in the short term, but possibly at the expense of longer term as discussed above.

To suggest Ferrari had to change to this new model because the old one wasn't profitable just doesn't hold up to scrutiny

willcrook likes this.
  21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

That is indeed a lot for an 812 redesigned as much as i love the damn thing.

22. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I've had communication with TWO friends this week here in the US who passed on Monza allocations.

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    One of the appeals to all these super-exotic super-high-performance machines is the "promise" of performance. When people admire one of my Ferrari's they very often ask, "how fast does it go?" (As in, almost every time.)
    I might respond, depending upon the model in question, "205" or "211." Which usually draws looks of wonder and whistling sounds, laughter, and sometimes even a good 'ol fashioned, "whoooodooggiieee...that is fast!" (Though once when admiring my Speciale at a car show and answered that question to a 6 year old boy he responded with, "A Bugatti is faster.") :)
    The point being even if we don't drive our cars that fast, we know the car will go that fast; the idea of shelling out $500K for an 812SF limited to a top speed of 100mph would certainly reduce its appeal.
    Now....take the Monza.....you can't even driven that "car" on either the road or the track.
    So it really isn't a "car" at all, it is a very pretty vase.
    That must be a large reason why people are passing on it.

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    except how is that different than the buyer who eventually sells his Pista or 812 with delivery miles? The Monza owner simply has a better excuse for why he didn't drive the car on the street.