On the road again - Robb's Ferrari Adventures | Page 74 | FerrariChat

On the road again - Robb's Ferrari Adventures

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Jan 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    You're very welcome, Robb.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen and Robb like this.
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.

What is it!!!!

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Almost ready for the reveal... it’ll be worth the wait.

Robb

steved033 likes this.
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I will tell the group that the new car is an F355. To me it's absolutely epic, one of the best, and will be in our family long past my time enjoying it. The stars finally aligned for me...

I am looking forward to some minor mechanical updates and then a massive photo shoot and road trip.

Robb

ShineKen, INTMD8 and carnutdallas like this.
  5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    As part of the items to restore on the new mystery car, I’d like to buy a nice set of oem floormats. Preferably like new in Black. Please contact me if you have an extra set. I had an extra set two years ago with my yellow car but sold them not knowing a future need.... doh.

Should be a fun set of posts on what I will be working on in a light restoration of the new car.

I am looking forward to the challenge.

Robb

ShineKen likes this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  9. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Dang you Robb. I need one of those. I need the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robb likes this.
  10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    be sure to click repeat

sjd

11. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Alex, I’ll take “Berlinetta” as the daily double...

Robb

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ...such a tease.

sjd

13. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Signed up for the FCA annual conference in Scottsdale in November later this year.

Will bring two cars to the Concours which I have never experienced... so we’ll see how it goes.

Looking forward to the pleasure drives in our back yard. If any 355 and 348 owners will be attending with your cars let me know. Maybe we can set up a stop at my garage for a get together during one of the pleasure drives.

Robb

14. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can't wait to see the new car, Robb! I guess I'm not the only one who sold his 355 and ended up with another. I'm looking forward to getting started on the major on your old car :)

Robb likes this.
  15. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My guess? '95 GTB.

But I'm biased. ;)

Robb and carnutdallas like this.
  16. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It is a berlinetta....

It is a ‘95...

I am trying to get the mechanics to get her done...

Robb

PaulK and carnutdallas like this.
  17. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Berlinetta for the win. And in your case it should be a shade of Blue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robb likes this.
  18. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Is it red? Is it Rosso Barchetta with Tobacco interior?! Does it have ultra low miles?!

Robb likes this.
  19. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb

I was actively seeking blue or off-red (non Rosso corsa)...

I am looking forward to the photo shoot and reveal more than anyone! Waiting on the mechanic.

Robb

carnutdallas likes this.
  20. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Winter is coming.....................

Robb likes this.
  21. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I had the GREATEST day with Rick. ^^^ I'll tell you about that and then rewind with you all to get to the story on the car itself.

Picked up my new F355 from the shop. Besides my brother who dropped me off, and the mechanics, Rick was the first to see the car in person. Headed over to his place in Scottsdale, and he was nice enough to educate me in the proper ways of paint correction and detailing. I am really appreciative of his time and its good to have a friend around the corner. He's also excited about getting another F355 after selling his previous F355 GTS a couple years back when he was in SoCal. You may remember my photos of Rick and Taz in the canyons on one great road trip out west from AZ.

So I think it was fun to tip the scales for him with another cool 355 to start thinking more about picking up another one for his garage.

To most of you, using a clay bar and specialized products on taking care of your car is very elementary stuff, but I never really made time other than basic cleaning skills in this regard. I normally took my cars to the professionals for more serious detailing.

I was pretty amazed at what just 4 hours could do on the car. I was absolutely impressed with Rick's skills and help. My hat is off to him and to all of you that are good at getting the most out of a car's paint and other details. The hidden gem in this was that it transported me back to 1975 working the turtle wax into the paint on the family station wagon with my dad back in Texas. I know my dad was smiling down on me today. Thanks again Rick.

On with the show...

Robb

22. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Perfect key ring for it too, that’s what I have. Congrats Robb. Love the colour

Robb likes this.
  23. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So... I'll especially enjoy telling this story because it goes way back.

It could go back to the early to mid eighties, but for now I'll just focus in on the more immediate timeframe. So we'll go back to 2006 or so. I had promised myself that I would own a Ferrari before I hit 40 as a lifetime goal for hard work. Lot of life changes along the way. I had wanted a 308 in 2001 but my wife at the time gave it a thumb's down based an allocated budget so I had to settle... (which is never a good thing) and I ended up with an '83 Porsche 911 SC in Slate blue. I enjoyed the car but it wasn't what I really wanted.

After that, I had been on Ferrarichat for a while soaking up all the info I could in multiple forums, and trying to find out what F-car model would be the best fit. I decided to go with a 328. After pouring over potential colors that were manufactured and available, I really had my heart set on a blue Ferrari... It's my favorite color. And I started my search and was as patient a possible but did not come across any 328's in blue for sale during that period - at any price. They just weren't out there at dealers or with private parties.

So not wanting to wait forever, I found a very nice 328 GTS in Argento (silver) over tan. Took my 8 year old on a road trip to pick it up and bring it back to Colorado over 1200 miles. That was a great time.

After 5-6 years of ownership, I had moved to AZ and my wife asked if I would consider getting a newer model Ferrari with more room, more comfort, better A/C, etc. I agreed after much back and forth and began the next search.

Looked at F355, 360, and 550. Decided to go with an F355 all things considered. Again decided on Blue but could not find one for sale anywhere for another 6 months going through the search process. Almost bought a red GTS from Louisiana but had to pass based on some work commitments. Found a nice '95 Berlinetta in yellow in Colorado and another road trip back to AZ began.

As life tricks us from time to time, a blue F355 came on the market about a month after that. and another one in a different blue shade a month after that... But having already committed to the yellow car and not being made of money - focussed on the car I brought to the dance and enjoyed that ownership experience immensely.

One thing I noticed with the yellow car in AZ was that the details and edges of the lighter color were kind of blown out a bit in the heavy sunlight. I love yellow on the F355 but I think it is best suited for areas that have a good mix of overcast or cloudy skies so that the car can light up in the lower light.

During the last 4 to 5 years, I remember still sending pm's to many owners on Ferrarichat to keep me in the loop if they decided to sell one of the rare blue cars because that had always been my dream Ferrari. I had hoped the stars would align at some point and I would be able to add a blue F-car to the garage.

I kept up with one owner in particular and kept reminding him to keep me in mind if he decided to upgrade to a newer model or take another direction in life. I had watched this car pop up with different owners on Ferrarichat since 2008. I tried another pm in February or March this year since I was in that search mode again - hopefully for one last go. I woke up one morning to check my inbox a few weeks ago and found a nice note to contact the owner to see if we could work out a sale.

I was pretty excited. The owner Matt Shobe, outside of Seattle, indicated he wouldn't really have thought of selling the car except for my staying in contact and seeing that I was likely to carry the torch for the car for a very long time - since this one was pretty special and kind of a unicorn that I was looking for. Matt is a very successful entrepreneur and smart guy and is moving into very unique automotive territory - kind of like Singer did with Porsche. I won't speak for him but know he is always at the forefront of the "NEXT" big thing.

I had a great no nonsense back and forth with Matt and we quickly came to a deal for the car. Absolutely a win win for both of us.

I am very thankful to Matt for his stewardship of the car and his trust that we would take care of the details for a sale fairly quickly.

I'll keep adding to the story more over the weekend. I ran out of daylight today heading home from Rick's place so I only had time to shoot a few images of the car - in the evening twilight. I'll enjoy posting those as quickly as I can and will shoot more of this car in many different lighting conditions.

The color on the car is very unique. Blu Scuro Micalizzato or Dark Blue Pearlescent.
    This is the only Left Hand Drive F355 in this color. There is one other this color in the UK in Right Hand Drive. The interiors on the cars are different.

One thing I really like about the color is the way the color changes in different light in vibrance, saturation, and hue. This all because of the pearl. It is a close relative to LeMans Blu which is not a pearl but a metallic with different flake. Blu Scuro Micalizzato falls between Pozzi Blu and Tour de France Blu in many shaded situations, but can get even brighter toward a NART Blu or Chiaro when the sun hits it from different angles and intensity. This is the most cool for me because of our bright sun in Arizona. I can enjoy it from brightest blue to darkest all in the same day, every day for the most part. I'll do my part in the photos to keep the color as neutral as possible as to what you really see with the naked eye without any adjustments. That way you all can have a benchmark on how other colors compare.

I look forward to updating the group regularly with photos, my restoration over time, and our adventures. I am not going to worry about mileage. I am going to drive this car to the fullest, enjoy repeatedly keeping it in outstanding condition and refreshing it regularly along the way and then pass it down to my kids. I am so very impressed with the other owners here and what they continue to do in taking care of their cars. Life is very short. I do not intend to waste any opportunities for enjoying it with our cars.

More to come...

Robb

24. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Great story! Love the car and colour. Enjoy it to the maximum, refresh and look after it, that’s what I do. Love your approach and glad you have found your forever car.

Robb likes this.
  25. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb