MORE DIY SHARES: $100 Stick-on (no drilling) rear wing | Page 3 | FerrariChat

MORE DIY SHARES: $100 Stick-on (no drilling) rear wing

Discussion in '360/430' started by _JERRY_, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    You guys just bored and wanna find someone to potentially pick on? Lol pm me! I can handle internet warriors even if it’s 10 v 1 and not break a sweat

This has altered its course from the original intention of the thread share, and it’s becoming pretty obvious we want to get personal.

Bring it on? Let’s dance
    Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    I expected more from this community , perhaps I’m mistaken. It’s no different from any children’s playground albeit more expensive toys.

3. frank320

frank320 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Watchung NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Great. You have been warned multiple times on the danger of your fake diy vanity spoiler and its danger to others on public roads. Your Singapore license plate - SCR168U - is also prominently and proudly displayed by you on this thread on your own accord.

Should your spoiler fail and get into an accident in the future, you can no longer claim ignorance. You have just painted yourself into a corner. Hope your diy vanity spoiler never fails you, because if it does, this thread will come back to bite you...

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brookliner7 likes this.
  4. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
  5. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Let me educate you a little before you go ahead of yourself . Even if it flies off, it will be treated as an accident , unless you can prove it is my intention to have it fly off.

6. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
  7. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    The only thing saying it’s gonna fly off , as of now , is your “ magic 8 ball “

8. frank320

frank320 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Watchung NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Wrong. Without this thread, you could have claimed stupidity and ignorance. Then claim it was an accident.

With this thread and the number of warnings you have been given here by EVERYONE stating the danger it poses to others, yet you continue to ignore the obvious danger it poses to others - it becomes gross negligence and is criminal. Stupidity is no longer an excuse.

9. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Except none of you have any proof of your claims and they are at best guesses.
    Just because u think something or have an opinion doesn’t make it fact.

10. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    When u have tried the exact thing , and it turned out the way u said, perhaps that would constitute a fair warning.

11. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    I can see how you would like your ill thoughts to materialise , but they are futile at best. Cheers buddy.

12. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    If you don’t like this idea, just move on
    Nothing you say will change anything on my end.
    And I will still update , if and when it fails or ceases to be viable.
    Cheers!

13. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    If you’re bored and want to do some personal attacking of any sort, we can talk like kids via pm.

14. frank320

frank320 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Watchung NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #64 frank320, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Your spoiler’s 3M tape is basically attached to ONLY the top layer of your car’s paint clear coat. Unless you sanded the rear deck paint off and had the 3M tape attached directly to the metal, which you obviously didn’t do, the only thing holding your vanity spoiler to the car is the thin layer of exterior paint clear coat.

Either the 3M tape will separate, or the clear coat paint will tear under pressure and separate. Just a matter of time. Just google paint clear coat separation and educate yourself. Who in their right mind would ever attach a 4ft spoiler to any car on the paint clear coat layer?

Sorry, but you are an idiot... to put mildly.

15. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Just thinking when I was 18, I tied an 11 foot vintage Hobi surfboard to the roof of my ‘63 belair . I’ll never forget looking out and seeing it fly when the rope broke while I was traveling 55 mph south on the meadowbrook pky. We cracked up back then, Lucky We didn’t kill someone.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    #66 _JERRY_, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    It could or it might. When you say it “will” that becomes absolute. I’m ready to admit I could be wrong about this trial install, problem is you already decided you’re right , with so many hidden variables given just the plain assumption of your last statement , and the fact that you have 0% live hands on , on this actual thing you’re laying critique on.
    It’s intriguing though , seeing how you have to push this thru alongside your personal attack just because if you turned back now, you’d look silly.

That and , while you’re getting annoyed there, the actual thing is still holding. I don’t know , current fact might be greater than “what you think is going to happen”.
    I’m not asking anyone here to follow suit. Just sharing what might be viable for someone who might like a wing and not want to drill any holes.
    I don’t foresee this wing flying off if you’re keeping to your country’s traffic laws. And if you need a certain speed to show this wing fly off, you’ve already breached a law to demonstrate that.
    “Don’t point at an idiot with 4 fingers pointing back at yourself” tsk tsk

17. frank320

frank320 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Watchung NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thing is, it is perfectly ok if you are willing to put yourself, and only yourself at risk. By all means, go for the Darwin Award for the year by selecting yourself out of the gene pool. But the issue here is that you are subjecting totally innocent motorists to your stupidity when it fails by driving your car on public roads...

18. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Maybe you should have more faith in the guys at 3M. Don’t trust me , trust their product.
    On a side note, I’m Glad this has generated some interest. Bad interest is better than none, and I’m sure I can count on frank to keep this thread alive , many months later.

I hope you’ll be alright if after a year , it still held.
    Just saying...
    Maybe my due diligence and install technique will suffice in keeping this safe. Maybe? But let’s ask frank, he already has the answers apparently.

19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This thread is going down in F-Chat history.

20. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    f355spider likes this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Wow.

I'm sorry...but what do you think the forces are at say 60mph?

Ever stuck your hand out of the window at that speed?

22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I trust their product AS WELL AS their preparation instructions. I hope you cleaned and sanded the area real well before install;)

23. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Maybe after this , no one would wanna share any DIY fixes or alternatives heh. I don’t know, I probably still would.

24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'm not out to get you Jerry and I have a rear wing on my vehicle. I wouldn't ever consider using a self adhesive tape to fix something designed specifically to generate downforce. You do realise a rear wing can generate hundreds of kilos of pressure at high speed?

Sadly I haven't got the time to go into citing evidence of aerodynamic forces on a rear wing and how they go up with drag as speed increases. Just please accept it as fact or do your own research. Its not a will it won't it, its absolute certainty it will come off if you go beyond a certain speed which the vehicle is capable of driving at. You can actually calculate it pretty accurately by getting specs from 3M of their break away point of the tape against certain friction surfaces like paint work of a vehicle. That's under perfect conditions but of course there are lots of factors like paint delamination, fatigue over time due to water ingress, etc which can make it even worse. At even a road legal speeds if that wing flew off it could cut someone in half.

Ferrari don't use 3M stickers on their vehicles because if the speed they are intended to drive at. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a high performance vehicle.

I pray to God you reconsider just bolting it on if you wish to keep it.

brookliner7 and frank320 like this.
  25. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    I understand your concerns, as well as the physics you’re depicting. I’m stress testing it daily under high temp, as well as intentionally spraying water during washes just to see if it will loosen.
    Like I said from the start of this thread , I’m not wanting it to fly off.
    Is this more secure than a bolt on? For sure not.
    I’ll feedback here if anything changes. But for now , it looks to suffice.
    We can go thru the infinite maybes and what if’s , that won’t change what will and won’t happen.
    Cheers!