Plastic gear found near a seat that doen't tilt backwards. | FerrariChat

Plastic gear found near a seat that doen't tilt backwards.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 456enthusiast, May 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 456enthusiast

456enthusiast Karting

Jul 23, 2011
    UK / Italy
    Hi y'all,

This follows my thread about a 456 driver's seat that doesn't tilt backwards anymore (here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/seats-back-rest-came-forward-car-undrivable.599560/#post-146608710).

I found a little plastic gear (i attach some pics) near this very seat and was wondering whether anyone knows if it could be related to the problem I'm experiencing. Maybe it belongs to a potentiometer?

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3819277

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I doubt that it comes out of the seat by itself. But it must come from somewhere... If the motor runs inside the seat and the seat back is stuck, then it is probably the gear. If the motor run only one way, it can be the power that makes trouble. On my 2002 Jag XK8 the seatback only went backwards and the car was terrible to drive. Nothing happened when i wanted to tilt the seat back forward. Instead of buying a new ECU for the seat, I just removed the leather a bit and found the connector for the seat back tilt motor. And put power to it by two long wires from the battery. At least I have a perfect seat position while I wait for a set of new/used seat ECUs. Once you set the seat position you can live with it.

456enthusiast likes this.
  3. 456enthusiast

456enthusiast Karting

Jul 23, 2011
    UK / Italy
    Hi and thanks for your reply. By " the connector" you mean the seat potentiometer? Cheers

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    No I mean the piece of plastic on the wires coming out of the motor where the motor’s wires connects to the car’s wires. I just put 12V on the two wires and the motor start to move. If you reverse the wires it will go the other way, so very easy. Not possible to do more than 50% wrong!! :)

5. 456enthusiast

456enthusiast Karting

Jul 23, 2011
    UK / Italy
    Hehe, that's right. Thanks again though ;)

F456M likes this.
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Electric seats are very similar in all makes of cars! On the Jag, the cable for the head rests to the motor that move them up and down are 14 mm. too long from the factory according to a service bulletin, so the end of the inner cable goes out of the motor making the headrest stay in one position even if the motor runs both ways... So when i cut the outer cable and shortened it 14 mm. it and put it back together with a shrink wrap, it workes brilliant!

All cars have their flaws... (Except American cars which are perfect :- )

So I got my Jag from Miami to Norway now thinking it would be the perfect compromise, but I found out that it still was a British car :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

456enthusiast and Il Tifoso like this.
  7. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    At the risk of sounding hilarious, locate the same gear in the other seat (passenger), and you'll know exactly where to place it back in the driver's seat. Yes, you'll have to remove both seats but it's more tedious than difficult.

F456M likes this.