" Ferrari Premium" programme | Page 5 | FerrariChat

" Ferrari Premium" programme

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SAFE4NOW, Mar 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    tomc likes this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    13k in parts for a CS for the premium program. Cant see doing it on my 612 oto or 355 as the values of the cars dont support the crazy price, for the cs i might do it.

AClark likes this.
  4. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA

Over what timeframe? In one stop or over several years?

Thank you for sharing!

A

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If u wanted to do everything at once thats the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so looking through the quote for the CS, it appears 90% of the parts are hoses/pipes/gaskets/valves
    - a bunch of stuff from hydraulic steering pump and tank
    - a bunch of stuff from hydraulic steering box and serpentine
    - fuel pumps and pipes
    - fuel tanks and union
    - antievaporation device
    - brake booster system
    - cooling system
    - brake system
    - nourice
    - injection device
    - brake hydraulic control

i cant see anyone doing this on a 456 or 430, why wldnt you just wait until one goes bad and needs replacing - not like its a timing chain that makes the motor go poof.

BarryK likes this.
  7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Totally agree. I can't work out who is more stupid here: Ferrari for treating the owners like they were born yesterday or the clients who get suckered into this nonsense.

And just wait to see what else breaks when you pull out all hoses that are rock solidly stuck on. You break way more expensive parts like pumps etc.

The whole thing is a beyond stupid money grab.

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    there must be some mechanical rationale to this i'm missing...

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Wait, so this IS about money?

Lol.

10. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    Forgive my ignorance, but I would really like to know your qualifications for this reasoning. Seriously.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Common sense - can you offer a rebuttal?

12. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    I was asking someone else. You’re not the one who claimed that the service is a hose-pulling fest, breaking things left and right, all for no reason. If BarryK is a master technician I will seriously take his view on the whole thing in consideration; if he’s an armchair expert, I would say his view is unsubstantiated.

13. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Like @ttforcefed says, common sense. I am also a master armchair technician with 35+ years of Ferrari ownership experience. Apart from that, totally unqualified to offer a view. Happy now?

14. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    No, why would I be happy? This isn't personal, from my end at least. I'm a new owner and have no technical background, and also no reason to appreciate your condescending stance, or apologise for existing as I am nor owing a car. So from my point of view, your message was either a rant, devoid of any trace of common sense, or a very well informed opinion of a technician. I now know which, so thank you, and let's move on.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    barry's point is there will be knock on damage which is inevitable so the prices liste cld be on the low side, essentially to replace hoses. i dont know anyone doing the program fwiw.

16. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Not knocking the “ common sense “ angle nor the “ money grab “ positions , but why is it that those positions seem to be so blinded to the alternative opinions as well?

Ferrari wants to make money - agreed, as ANY business that any of the members of Ferrari Chat is associated with as well.... so , everyone is on an even playing field now.

Things break... also a reasonable statement. Things break on their own. Things break when disturbed. Things break while being driven on a Sunday drive around the Hamptons or in the middle of no where Montana.

So, a company like Ferrari who focuses on keeping their brand at the top of the world , wouldn't they want to keep their product in the best possible condition possible? So that when BarryK took one of his many Ferrari on a drive one of 2 things happens

1. He comes back to FC on Monday morning , posting photos of his drive, sharing his story of an amazing trip out and about, the people he met while stopping for fuel, the kids giving thumbs up while passing, etc... the positive ownership experience.

2. ttforcefed posts on Monday morning how he had reached the midway point of his drive when ABC part failed ... taking out XYZ parts.. he was out of cel service , had to walk for over an hour to the closest phone, wasted a day. , being laughed at on the side of the road ... laminating about the negative ownership experience.

Which of the two examples above would Ferrari and fellow Ferrari owners hope for?

Preventative repairs are beneficial , other than the expense of being proactive , what is the other option ... deferring repairs to the next owner , playing hot potato with that brittle fuel line or coolant line?

Meh, to each is own...

Ferrari is not forcing or requiring any owner to do anything.

Ferrari is offering a program that over time as an owner proactively replaces aged bits and pieces ( at a discounted price ) then Ferrari recognizes that effort by providing a free document ( that is also a gateway to other programs )

Ferrari is coming up with ways to help keep their cars on the road in the best condition so that the brand can continue to thrive in a positive light.

Why is that bad ?

A

430tdf, daytona355 and Radu like this.
  17. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Pretty interesting thread. Couple of thoughts (and only my thoughts):

1. In racing, parts time out and get changed out at regular intervals prior to failure. Catastrophic failures on the track lead to losses. Not sure how much this applies to road cars; especially ones that don’t get driven hard or often.

2. Does anyone know where to access what each model needs to have done? This sounds to me a lot like an extended ad hoc maintenance program for the cars. Curious what it would be for my car (575M)?

3. Dealer and independent service centers are only as good as the person working on your car. I’ve seen and heard of big problems from both ends. A while ago I had a very well known and respected shop evaluate my car and they misdiagnosed a fluid leak as a broken shock. The replacement cost for ONE SHOCK was $4,000! A board member here basically diagnosed the car online and unseen as power steering hose leak. Saved me thousands. Point is, for me it’s the relationship I have (trust level) with the person working on my car.

4. Money. I think that independent service centers offer a great value. I can’t put my finger on it, but whenever I go into the dealer, I feel like I’m about to get ripped off. I’m not sure if it’s because I see the long faces of sales people stating they’re making practically nothing on the car I’m buying year in and year out. Or, maybe it’s just because I’ve had so many experiences when I thought I would get something rather minor done and only later to be presented with a bill much much larger than what was stated. Either way, there is a trust issue and lack of transparency and honesty in my Perception. Clearly, this is not true for everyone, however, more often than not, this is been my experience. I feel much more comfortable getting to know the person who is going to do the work on my car because I get to know a little bit about their character and what they were about and that has served me well over the years and over many different Marquees.

5. Hoops, hoops and more hoops. I get the sense that this new program just created another hoop to hurtle over. Is it, if I don’t participate completely, my car is somehow not good enough, or even defective, or even less valuable?

None of which arguments I believe very much. I think in order for me too Want to participate in a program like this, it Has to be competitively priced as well as reasonable with respect to “preventative maintenance items” that need to be changed out.

I am very comfortable with the value of my car and the pride of ownership. All it takes, is one nice drive or even a quick look in the garage to remember just what an awesome piece of machinery I own is!

AClark likes this.
  18. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Interesting , so you do not know anyone who has had to replace even one of the listed gaskets, hoses, or belts, etc?

We have dozens of client cars that are have come in for their normal / annual visits , that have had at least one of the listed parts replaced. So effectively dozens of clients are " doing the program "

Have any finished the program, absolutely not, nor do I expect them to for the next several years or more.

This is what I have a hard time understanding the counter points:

Ferrari is offering discounted pricing for the parts on their Premium program list.
    Most Dealerships ( I assume ) would discount the labor associated with the replacement of these parts ( I know we absolutely do )
    There is no additional fee or charges that I am aware of, Ferrari simply provides you the certificate after the listed parts are replaced over time.

It only seems to me that Ferrari is wanting to assist owners in performing preventive repairs that otherwise may be neglected until they do fail.
    No one wants to see an article or photo on Jalopnik of a Ferrari broken down on the side of the road or being towed in, that's not good for the brand...

As for the armchair assumption that because a hose it being removed , that a ham fisted technician will purposely ( or not ) damage other components..... If it was THAT brittle already that it would break by simply touching it, would YOU want it replaced regardless?

Steve

Radu and daytona355 like this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    That’s the point- replace as needed. No point doing it as a package- I don’t mnkw anyone who has done it as a package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    I don't know about your area, but in the Netherlands it seems like they're not even ready for it; I asked for a price list and parts to be exchanged and still waiting for a final answer.
    To be honest the programme was announced just a couple of months ago, so I'm not sure what weight your statement has anyway.

21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Is there somewhere that says you have to do it as a package, all at once, I do not see that nor have I ever been asked to do it that way.

Also, and I mean this , thank you for your feedback and perspectives, Ferrari often asks me to provide client feedback in an un-filtered manner, and you are providing good insight!

Steve

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh I’m all about unfiltered - it was originally pitched as a program no?

23. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Program yes, package no.

S

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I mean really? We are gonna cute about the difference of 2 synonyms?

BarryK likes this.
  25. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    While I am not going to look up the difference between package and program in a dictionary, this is the letter that ferrari sent out. Pretty clear, you have to do a package of replacements parts:

Er, no, it was launched almost a year ago, and dealers stated offering it in April. My dealer tells me the take up has been....zero. Quite rightly so in my opinion from my armchair. And a little tip as you are new here: if I were you, I would think a little harder before questioning the weight of what @ttforcefed's says. He happens to be one of the most experienced people here.

Attached Files:

Jaguar36 likes this.