cleaning my sticky interior | FerrariChat

cleaning my sticky interior

Discussion in '348/355' started by User-C3, May 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Took most of the components out to get them cleaned up. HVAC buttons wouldn't really come back out after pushing them in, vents were the worst, real nasty sticky situation, and everything else was just dirty. I ended up using some standard cleaners on the center stack pieces to not strip away the soft touch coating. It was still in good shape but the vents had to get stripped. Read a bunch of threads about re-coating with various paints and from what I gather end up having issues again later down the road. I took all the parts of the vents apart and cleaned and stripped each little piece individually. I lost the open closed circle indicators but whatever.

Firs pic shows how bad all the vents were
    Second pic is everything done
    Third pic shows the the bare plastic cleaned vents next to the original soft touch coating of the center stack. They are staying bare plastic and I will never have a problem again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ernie, Qavion and steved033 like this.
  2. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    What did you use to clean them?

3. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    To strip anything on the plastic I used rubbing alcohol, this will take everything off, soft touch coating decals everything. On all the other parts I used meyer's multi surface cleaner, and some other basic household cleaner that was just a real gentle cleaner that wont strip anything away. A whole mess of q-tips, an old toothbrush, rags, and some other little pick tools to try and get into the corners and cracks of the buttons and rollers etc. The last thing I used was lots and lots of patients and elbow grease.
    The wife wasn't stocked I did it on the dining room table but at least I was hanging out with the family while I did. Its all about multi tasking.

JPMD, GTO Joe and chopsui like this.
  4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You mentioned they’re remaining bare plastic - you aren’t going to refinish them?

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #5 m.stojanovic, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    I did the same thing, just removed the sticky coating and the parts look excellent. As the plastic looked just slightly greyish after cleaning with the oven foam cleaner, I rubbed black shoe polish into the plastic and it turned nice black with a bit of shine and it lasts. Of course, I used Bally shoe polish.

As for the symbols, I transferred them from the Alfa Romeo Milano side vents which have the symbols on raised plastic pads. I cut them out carefully and stuck them onto the Ferrari vents. I bought four (used but in excellent condition) Alfa side vents because their slates are identical to the Ferrari's and I keep the slates as spare. Two of the Alfa vents came with white symbols and two with blue symbols so I put the white ones on the side vents and the blue ones on the centre vent. In this way, looking at the dashboard, you can immediately tell which one is your side vent and which one is your centre vent.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  6. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    #6 User-C3, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019

I am not coating them in anything else no. The bare plastic vents sitting directly next to the other soft touch parts look almost identical. You would be hard pressed to tell a difference, take into account they are not directly next to any soft touch parts and the only giveaway is the symbols missing. Thats why I put the third pic in there to show the bare plastic next to the original soft touch coated parts. So in my opinion now they are refinished.

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I did something similar when I first bought my 348 over 10 years ago. Just bought a bottle of Goof Off 2 (the water based one in an orange spray bottle). Went to town with about 200 Q-tips, and never recoated anything. I thought it was a huge improvement and I never missed the soft touch coating. I also dissolved the open / closed markers, but if a person can't figure it out without the markings, they will just have to suffer.

Nice job!

:D
    BT

8. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Exactly. Thanks

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Any of you guys need the decal symbols, email me--We have plenty

10. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Whats the price?

11. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    Interested in price also

12. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Do you have them for the 355?

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I find the bare plastic to be a faded black.

Pangea likes this.
  14. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    275GTB likes this.
  15. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Decals?
    Seriously?
    Sounds like amateur hour to me.
    The only correct way is to laser etch them
    The only company to do this is StickyRX
    Simply the best

Lionworks Auto likes this.
  16. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    What do you think about my symbols transplanted from Alfa Romeo vents? At least, they are from another Italian car the vents of which seem to be from the same manufacturer as the Ferrari ones.

17. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Not sure why its necessary to blast someone who is showing an excellent alternative. Not everyone is interested in shelling out money for every bit of work done. Great satisfaction from finding a solution and doing the work yourself.

tres55, Arvid, 275GTB and 3 others like this.
  18. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    :rolleyes:

19. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    With all due respect Dominic, this is the type of post on this topic that has created the partisan, polarizing discourse on Ferrari Chat.

The OP on this thread started the discussion discussing his way of solving this problem. Not every owner has the budget or sees the value in spending hundreds and maybe thousands in correcting their sticky problem.

For many decals and other methods of creating and reproducing the graphics have provided adequate and satisfactory solutions for them. Some may even opt for no graphics.

The options for cleaning stickies are well known to the folks on this board and to label a relative new used as an amateur and deride his choice is not right.

20. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks Bob.:) Its about doing the job myself and getting some enjoyment rather than not wanting to spend the money. The laser etching and hard touch system is no doubt a very nice alternative but apart from that I have been able to do a very nice job on the refinishing all of the plastics and metal parts. Ive made no secret of the fact that after discussions with a well known paint supplier Ive redone them in a modern soft touch formula and they look and feel superb. Others I know have done the same . Years on and there has been no change in feel or looks. At the end of the day its my choice and is technically originally correct. Criticism comes with the territory Im sure. I can take it .;) Few shots of the results. Process done correctly in a heated spray booth and the temp and time as per manufacturers instructions. I maybe should have lacquered the decals in. Perhaps another time. No big deal.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ernie, Enzojr, drbob101 and 1 other person like this.
  21. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Looks like a very professional job. I also liked your vent symbols - couldn't see any difference compared to the original ones. Cheers.

jimmym likes this.
  22. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks Miro. I did some careful measuring and trial cutting before I came up with a dimension of 4.5mm. This sits best on the eye for me. 5mm looks too big and 4mm to small..The original indicators were quite soft and sticky with unclear edges but looked and measured around that 4.5mm dimension. Compared well with an image of a new vent that saw. I know its a minor detail but half a mm makes a difference. The devil is in the detail as they say. You do need access to a good vinyl cutter to make them. These were about the limit for my friends machine but it worked out ok.
    Looked to me the originals may have been painted on and lacquered in as they just wiped off in a sticky mess. Not sure if lasers were involved. Im no expert though..;)

23. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I took accurate measurements of the original dots on my vents (bought brand new about 3 years ago but they went sticky quickly as they were in stock for some time) before de-sticking them. They were as follows:

Solid 4.0 mm Dia
    Hollow 4.5 / 2.8 mm Dia

So, you did the hollow dots spot on. Even though you did the solid dots 0.5 mm larger (who the h**l can notice such a small difference anyway), they look perfect on your pictures.

24. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Sure. All good info. Cheers.

25. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Very nice work and great info for the DIY'er crowd.

Laser etching is definitely a nice value added feature that sets the service apart...but there's nothing wrong with this method. :)

jimmym likes this.