Images of Under the 246 Dash | FerrariChat

Images of Under the 246 Dash

Discussion in '206/246' started by FDino246GTS, May 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FDino246GTS

FDino246GTS Rookie

Nov 26, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    James S.
    Hi all,

The bodywork on my car is well underway and the team is now starting to play with the fiberglass.
    I was hoping a fellow enthusiast might have some more images of what's under the dash board when it is removed - similar or preferably in more detail to the one I pinched here from dinorestoration.com (OMGJON)).

There's a piece of fiberglass it seems that the wiring loom sits on, that is then covered by the dash and that vent hoses attach to...

In TAVs, parts websites etc I have yet to see an image or a reproduction of this part...

any hint, tips, links as always is very much appreciated.

best of the best
    James

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #3 synchro, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    You didn't mention your Dino's series or VIN but mine is an E series 05702, dash removed and electrical connections tagged

The top piece is a step-down that rivets down at the base of the windshield location to span over to the instrument cross bar
    Let me know if there are other angles you need, the close ups show your grommet positions and the speedo cable hole does have a grommet, although missing in the pics. The 3 small holes (1 Left, 2 Right) on the vertical face by the triple vent are for ventilation cable pulls.
    The white cable ties with hole securing pop clips can be found in the HVAC industry

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

FDino246GTS likes this.
  4. FDino246GTS

FDino246GTS Rookie

Nov 26, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    James S.
    Thanks so much @GIOTTO and @synchro - this helps heaps. Definitely think this piece of my car has been lost over the years!
    72 GTS right hand drive E-series = chasis #05464.
    Looks like another easter egg hunt begins!

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have one of those I have been tripping over for decades but it is for a left hand drive car. I would think the piece is the same for right or left but you might have to drill a few new cable holes for the right hand drive cars. I am afraid it is going to cost you $5 plus shipping if you want it. Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The RHD version is quite a bit different to the one shown in racerboy's post above. Here is the panel in my car #07610. I had a look through the restoration photo's of my other cars and they are all the same as #07610. Racerboy's panel would certainly provide a good starting point from which to modify.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

FDino246GTS likes this.
  7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Here is the dash panel on my car #03050. You can make out the rubber diaphragms that are fitted into the central dash mounted HVAC air intake openings. You can also see that the dash moulding has a curved recesses on the right hand side where the US version has a flat vertical panel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

synchro and FDino246GTS like this.
  8. FDino246GTS

FDino246GTS Rookie

Nov 26, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    James S.
    @racerboy9 holy @$% that would be amazing!!! I'll shoot you a PM in the next day or two... I am just checking with the trimmer that it's not there.

9. FDino246GTS

FDino246GTS Rookie

Nov 26, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    James S.
    @isuk thanks heaps.. those images are a great help!

10. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  11. FDino246GTS

FDino246GTS Rookie

Nov 26, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    James S.
    #11 FDino246GTS, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    yeah that's it....... looooong story!
    Started resto (should have kept it as a roller).. parked it for over a decade for a number of reasons... re-engaged the project the last few years and in most instances had to do most things already done a second time.
    more up to date bodywork here
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/80335092@N03/albums/72157689234455941
    some other engine images below

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

synchro likes this.
  12. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Eurospares has a RHD GT they are parting out. Might be worth asking about the part you need.

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Cool post Iain,
    Intricate differences between the cars
    At first I thought the LHS scallop was leftover from another version.

No matter what you end up with, this is just an interior part and you could fabricate a simple piece on your own as nobody will probably ever see it. The dash with mousefur is the finished piece on top of this and it connects to, and is supported by:
    - L and R side by two 6mm truss head bolts/side
    - front edge resting on ledge at base of windshield
    - Dash vent at top of center dash, w 2/3 Dino vents, double stick foamy

That's it. This substructure does not really provide that much support for the dash and the shape is not that critical where you couldn't fab a fiberglass piece for it. To view this another way, take your dash and trial fit it, you'll see where the high and low spots are. That center vent height will be critical to the way it lays. The piece does attempt to block an area of undesired hot air flow so you'll want it complete L-R