Quick Jack Lift | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Quick Jack Lift

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, May 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I bought mine directly from manufacturer and it came with positioning handles and power unit carrier.

I think you should contact Costco and the manufacturer as my understanding is its supposed to come with it per the owners manual.

Dan

2. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ah, thanks. So you actually need two of these to lift the car, which is a little pricey once you also factor in the cost of the lift. Looks like this is a good solution for removing the wheels but it also looks like the jacks would obstruct the underside of the vehicle and get in the way of other maintenance work. Maybe you just use them when doing wheel/brake work.

One thing I've seen that I'm considering is integrating a scissors jack into the floor so that the jack is flush with the floor surface when not in use. I like the QuickJack, but I have a track-prepped Miata that won't clear it without using ramps. The ramps work, but you need to store them in the garage (they take up a lot of space) and set them up each time you want to lift the car, which is somewhat of a hassle.

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Ya, a single bridgejack was almost as much as the quick jack. So, I went with the quick jack which is use on top of my 4 post lift, for doing wheels-off work, like brakes. Gives me a more comfortable working height than the QJ alone, but I also have more versatility for working on, say my Atv. And the Qj ramps tuck into the middle of my 4post lift for storage. Also likely better resale of a qj some day, than a bridgejack.

4. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    How do you store the QJ jacks on your lift? I wasn't sure how to store them at first, but ultimately decided to store them upright leaning against the garage wall with straps looped around the tops to prevent them from tipping over (they also rest on a rubber mat so they won't slip out).

5. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The frames I purchased from the factory came with two positioning handles.

6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’ll see if I can get pics, but for now...
    I cut a couple pieces of 2x8 wood to go across the empty area between the 4 post. They can be slid around freely, or just lifted out. One is toward the front, the other toward the back. I store the qj ramps flat with one end on each 2x8 piece.

7. 65ffrcobra

65ffrcobra Rookie

Jun 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gary Evans
    I am spoiled I know but having a 2 post and a 4 post lift I don’t understand why anyone would want this as opposed to a 4 post or 2 post. Unless you move residences all the time. My 2 post is my go to for sure but the 4 post is nice for stacking, portable with castors. 2k will get you a new 4 post I paid like $1200 for mine used in new condition

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sounds like a good solution. I'd love to see pics if it's not too inconvenient. Thanks.

9. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Because those of us that have purchased this unit, don’t have the ceiling height for anything else (MOTO)

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  10. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    So as I've read the 8 pages I might have missed whether this works with a 458.

Thoughts ?

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Let’s try
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

note: this is just for storage of the ramps. when used, they are placed on the black 4post lift ramps and aligned with the correct jack points on the car.

the foam pads have nothing to do with it, I just keep them under my tires during the winter to hopefully minimize flat spots

MaranelloDave likes this.
  12. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's great, thanks for posting. That is a good use of the space between the ramp tracks.

A couple of further questions: How did you mount the wood boards to the jack? Also, where did you get that utility tray at the left end in the picture, the one holding the rubber blocks?

13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    the inside of my lift ramps have a 2-3" lip all the way along, so the boards just sit on that. maybe your lift is different?
    this is mine: http://directlift.ca/pro-park-8.htm
    you can see the "lip" in the pic for the pro-jack 3500.

the utlity tray (jack tray) came with the lift. its steel and is meant to hold some other kind of jack....so i don't really use mine.

14. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ah, yes, I do have that flange on both sides.

Mine didn't come with the jack tray and I had to purchase the plastic drip trays separately. Wish I had the jack tray (for free) as it looks pretty handy for storage.

Anyway, thanks for sharing all this info!

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  15. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    Watch Dans video he uses a Quick-jack lift on his 458 and shows the steps to lift the car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’m pretty sure Quick jack says you must keep the individual jacks parallel to each other. The way Dan does it, is not parallel. I also believe Quickjack stated you can also position the jacks across the bottom of the car, as long as they remain parallel. That may be the better way to do it if they reach all the way across.

17. hassan jarrar

hassan jarrar Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    TheMBOD
    I have never had the guts to lift my F12 using a floor or hydraulic jack. So thinking about getting a Quick jack but still nervous about damaging the chassis. Any chance of that heppenning? Thanks,

18. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    As long as you place the lifting blocks in the jack points on the chassis, you should have no problems.

19. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think it's good to remember that this is not really a single piece, mechanically unified listing system but really two independent lifts unified by a single hydraulic pump.
    So if one of them has air or hydraulic cylinders that operate a little differently the car will get lifted or lowered somewhat differently. Mine showed up with one bad cylinder that had been man handled and I had to replace both schrader valves on the air cylinders so QC is not the greatest. But it works fine now. The mechanical lock mechanism really needs to be watched closely to be sure it's actually engaged before letting the pressure off (which you should always do!) I wish they shipped these with the hose assemblies pre-assembled and everything fully bled. They could easily do that at the factory and it would make assembling this much easier. We had a devil of a time getting all the air out of ours and lifting these ramps vertically to get the air to come out is no fun. It's actually dangerous.

So always be careful using these pair of lifts and you'll be OK. But all then all lifts require caution.

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Crawling under the car with just the Quick Jack holding it up is insane.

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    With the arms locked why?

22. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not having the jacks parallel can place asymmetric loads on each jack, e.g. a side load which will also create unsymmetric vertical loads on the jack. Not good.

I have used the transverse placement before to lift a 911. Works fine.

23. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    The only problem is that you can't remove the wheels for tire changes, brake work.. etc

whatheheck likes this.
  24. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login The QuickJack system has worked well for me and has worked on the 430 as well as the Ford F-150 Crew Cab with no special requirements.

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I wonder if it weighs a lot less? The quickjack is made in China and it's $1K or less. This lift needs a big price cut.