Original style radio for 1983 QV? | FerrariChat

Original style radio for 1983 QV?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brad308QV, Sep 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brad308QV

Brad308QV Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    Salisbury, MD
    Full Name:
    Brad Phillips
    #1 Brad308QV, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My car has a later Alpine CD player in it, and I found this Alpine 7263 tape deck at a non-Ferrari swap meet. They made these from 1984 to 1989, would the dealer have installed one like this in a 308?

I appreciate the info- love the site, have been learning a lot from it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Down here in the southeast, dealers LOVED the Blaupunkt CR3001. I never saw a 308 without one in 1983 (and I have a thread here full of pics to prove it :).

Anyway there was no particular brand or model that is "correct" during those years (at least with the 308QV). That Alpine is absolutely period perfect if you like it - but I think it's a little new if you want to split hairs. I bought that model for my Scirocco in 1985.

Get a remote CD changer from Ebay, mount it over the spare tire and put the changer control over in that coin shelf by your left knee. Digital music with a old school tape deck.

That is what I did.

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Whaa? Why just advance to mid-80s technology? Instead hook a Bluetooth / FM Modulator to your antenna input and stream music from your phone (and get Google Maps instructions through your speakers).

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Who listens to the radio. Seriously.

TJsBeer likes this.
  5. Brad308QV

Brad308QV Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    Salisbury, MD
    Full Name:
    Brad Phillips
    #5 Brad308QV, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I like everything to look period if possible, so replacing the CD player was a must for me regardless of if I use it or not. However, I like driving my cars, so every now and then some tunes are good to have. Here is a map of some of the places I've driven my 308 since January of this year...and loving every minute of it.

rpsantacroce likes this.
  6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#6 dwhite, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Yeah, I get the correct part and the driving part. I just don't listen to music in my Ferraris. I've put 25k on my 83 308QV, but it does have a tubi exhaust. Anyway, enjoy the new radio whichever model you decide on. I think I have the blaupunkt.

7. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Bingo.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I did this in about 01. No Bluetooth then or I had never heard of it if it did exist. I don't mind burning CDs and loading a stack.

When something finally breaks I'll update downstream from my 1981 head unit then.

9. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I took out a newish Alpine CD deck and replaced it with one very similar. It looks like it belongs in the car. Mine is an "83 also. And I still have period correct music on cassettes that I keep in the car. Old school.

10. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Exactly what I was thinking. Only turned mine on once to see if worked.

11. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #11 2281GT, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Yes for sure. The 7263 is contemporary and technically fitting a 308.

Only the Pioneer KEH-5000 or KEH-4300 is fitting better ;)

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It's good company on road trips.

13. Ccashen1

Ccashen1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2013
    My 83 has the dealer installed Blaupunkt.

14. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Confirmed with first owner that my '85 QV had a Blaupunkt when purchased from Setauket NY dealer Grand Prix SSR Co in June 1985. I would like to find one of these radios. Are there owners out there that can confirm what Blaupunkt model my car likely had? Was it the same CR3001 that Dr Tommy Cosgrove mentions or something different/newer? Thanks.

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    as said many times, 3x8 came without any radio installed: just antenna, speakers, cables and the radio cover. Here in Italy, in 1983, dealres usually installed Pioneer or Grundig, no Alpine (it was the "Lamborghini" radio...).

ciao

16. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My '83 (North Jersey) had an Alpine head & alpine amplifier. I have it stored and am using a Clarion unit now. It rarely gets used.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I very seriously doubt you had the CR3001 by 1985. That model began in about 1981. By 85 I am sure the dealers were using a more updated unit.

18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My 82 had an Alpine cassette unit dealer installed. My 85Qv has an Alpine C/D installed. Not sure it's dealer because speakers are not original but the unit is period correct.

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    My 328 also came from the factory without a stereo.

When I bought it, it had an after-market Alpine, which I'm guessing came from the second owner.
    But, on one pothole, the Alpine threw the CD out at me. ;)

There were other electrical gremlins, as well, so I had a dealer go over the car, bumper to bumper, and tear out everything not on the factory wiring diagram.
    I wound up with a box of "spare" non-original parts, and the ability to keep the battery up for more than two days when parked. ;)

I then replaced the now bare wires with an original style plastic block 6.3mm blade connector -- except 8 pin instead of 6 pin, as the original connector did not have ignition switched power or dash lighting.
    6.3MM Multi-Connector Kit

As there was no "original" stereo, I then installed a radio with an MP3 player.
    Days of music on an SD flash card, no moving parts, and I could get rid of the CD wallet from behind the passenger seat.
    (And I can even put a spare SD flash card in the tiny "glove" box in the console. ;))

But I have a Linux home computer I can use to rip my favorite tracks off the store CDs, encode them in MP3, and write them to flash.

FWIW, my '79 Alfa came from the US distributor with a Blaupunkt CR-2001 (tape) deck.
    Although I had my dealer replace the wimpy factory speakers with 4.5" Jensen coax speakers (a rather tight fit, in the kick panels).

20. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    An update on my quest... I got to know Gary Goodman of Goodman Radio in Bryn Mawr. His company did the radio installs for Algar's Ferraris, and said the Houston or Tucson would have been the likely Blaupunkt choices for 308 customers. I found a nice Tucson on eBay, and last week had Gary do the install. He used a period-correct amp and connectors to do the install the way it was done in 1985. Radio works and very happy with the result! Now I have to rebuild my original Bosch Autojet antenna as it's stuck again...

Rosey and QV308 like this.
  21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #21 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    FAF installed a Blaupunkt Aspen SQR24 in my car a few weeks after it was sold new by them in April 1984 (I have the original receipt in the car's history folder). You don't have to use the SQR24 unless you have 4 speakers. There is an Aspen two channel that may be less expensive but looks exactly the same. I have rear dome speakers in the rear hatch so I needed the SQR24. Not sure why FAF used the 4 channel model unless that's all they had on the shelf that day. Who knows.

Here is the exact radio they used. I just got myself one on eBay and put it in a couple months ago. After almost 20 years I finally had to give up on the CR001's They have a weird little stereo/mono switch and if you run a FM modulated CD player like I do they have a helluva time staying in a stereo mode and just start defaulting to a bunch of static and popping noises. I swapped head units 3 times and even got a new Alpine FM modulator which solved NOTHING. Finally I just dug thru my records, confirmed which model Blaupunkt FAF used, went to eBay, got one and everything is normal again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLAUPUNKT-ASPEN-SQR24-VINTAGE-CAR-RADIO-AUDIO-TAPE-CASSETTE-PLAYER-AM-FM-TESTED/283208337108?epid=2295830547&hash=item41f08846d4:g:DSsAAOSwzIZbwSLO:sc:USPSPriority!35243!US!-1

22. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    QV308 likes this.
  23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Of note... by around 1984-85, the double-shaft variety was being quickly eclipsed by DIN-style decks.

24. trs666

trs666 Karting

Apr 17, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tommi S.
    Managed just to find a nice period correct Blaupunkt for 59003. As i understand SQR45 was Blaupunkts high end unit in those days. Now searching for a 4 channel amplifier that fits behind the passenger footrest plate.

thorn likes this.
  25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Mounting an amp to a round piece of wood that fits down in the spare tire wheel is also an option. I've seen a few of those. Obviously that place is a plus for accessing battery current.