430 - F430 Windshield Replacement | FerrariChat

430 F430 Windshield Replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, May 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Windshield on my 2006 F430 is cracked :(

Asking if anyone has any recommendations for a reputable Auto Glass shop in Seattle area that works on Ferrari's?

I know I can just take it to the dealer but I believe in supporting local family owned business if they are very reputable, knows what they are doing and come highly recommended.

Just exploring other options before I contact the dealer.

Note: I already posted on the Northwest Forum section. Thought's I'd post here too in case someone that lives in Washington State doesnt visit the Northwest section.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

f355spider likes this.
  2. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Yikes, sorry to hear that Dan! How did it crack?

whatheheck likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The risk that we all take every time we take our car out of the garage...............

I was driving in the freeway and the next thing I see is a golf ball size rock that flew out of a truck and quickly hit the edge of my windshield.
    I heard a splat and I knew it was bad so I exit the freeway and pulled over to take a look.

Sure enough the edge of my windshield has a crack. I know its only going to get bigger from here on so I need to get it replaced soon.
    :(

Dan

4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sorry to hear it Dan. I had the windshield on my 360 replace when it cracked. First rate job.

On my 430, the windshield had been replaced by a previous owner and the job wasn’t nearly as good...
    the gasket wasn’t seated properly in some places and the windshield will rattle over certain bumps.

Do your homework on selecting an installer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

whatheheck likes this.
  5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Dan...bummer to hear, but I like that you always remain calm about things! anyway, while annoying, at the end of the day, its a routine job, so I am sure that you just need to find someone you trust. that said, while I also like to avoid the dealerships when i can for the reasons you mentioned, perhaps to ensure perfect fit and your safety, this is an instance where the dealership is best? Even on my AMG, shoul I ever experience a crack, no way am I calling "safelight" or any of these private companies..dealer all the way for me.

lastly, wouldn't something like this be covered under your insurance? if so, after your deductible, I am sure that the carrier would let you select dealer as the replacement venue?

whatheheck likes this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think the biggest concern with the Safelite etc would be the care of the paint and surrounds in and out if car

That would be my biggest concern

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for your input and sharing your experience Bob.

I will make sure the installer does a great a job before I sign paperwork.

Dan

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Scott,

I learned early in life and I made a choice that Im not going to let little things bother me. I love my cars and actually everything I own and take very good care of them but at the end of the day its still all material things and we can replace them. Like my brother Tommy always said - Never sweat the small stuff, no one is going to die. And I believe on that and follow those guidelines.

Getting upset is not going to make things better, it will only make matters worse and ruin our day. So its spilled milk, we just go get it fixed.

Yes, I think I will just take my car to the dealer and yes its fully covered by my insurance and my deductible is only $250.00. And I dont anticipate any resistance from my insurance Liberty Mutual for going to the dealer and use OE glass.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
    Time to go spend time with family, then go for another drive this afternoon as its sunny here in Seattle today.

Dan

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yes, no plans on going with Safelite.

There are a few excellent family owned glass shops here in Seattle area that works on BMW's, MB and Porsche's that are highly recommended but they are afraid/hesitant on working on Ferrari's.......and Im sure due to liability issues.

My research shows most standard auto glass are in the $250 range.
    BMW, MB and Porsche windshields I read are in the $1K range.
    I read here somewhere that Ferrari OE glass for 360 and F430 are around $2,800.00

10. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    For my 360, OEM glass was $5000. 2 hrs labor to install at Bobileff Motor Cars. Insurance covered less deductible.

gsworld2014 and whatheheck like this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing great info.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Hey Dan,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune that truly sucks..!
    It’s always in the back of mind what is going to fly out of the back of these trucks..
    Like many have mentioned no sense getting upset it won’t help,
    The biggest decision is getting it replaced by a quality installer..I would call your local retailers and ask who they would recommend at least they already have seen their workmanship.
    Good Luck buddy.!!
    K//

whatheheck likes this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thank you!

Dan

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I would ask the Ferrari dealer who they use. But if insurance covers it then it doesn't really matter. I have heard of windscreen shops declining replacements on Ferrari's because of the liability.

whatheheck likes this.
  15. DaChosen1FoSho

DaChosen1FoSho Karting

Dec 23, 2017
    Are you replacing with OEM glass?

Mines just 12 years old and shows some scars but no real cracks. Without insurance I was quoted around $3k. Which I was like uh, no thanks.

16. Spyder631

Spyder631 Karting

There are no other options except for OEM glass. $5k installed by dealer. Geico has free glass replacement with no deductible it didn’t coast me anything. Happened about 5 years ago but expect same is true today.

whatheheck likes this.
  17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #17 whatheheck, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Yes, I plan on going OE Glass.

• OE = Original Equipment with Ferrari Part Number.
    • OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, their own part number.= without the Ferrari logo.
    • Aftermarket = Different manufacturer.

And yes, my car too is 12 years old and its badly pitted so it is time for replacement.
    Dan

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    OK, here's an update as Im certain there's plenty out there interested in this info too as at some point in time you may have to replace your windshield as well.

Looks like 360 and F430 Spider uses the same glass.
    Ferrari calls their Windshield = Windscreen.

Ferrari part number: 65782800.
    • Eurospares UK = $1,940.00 plus shipping costs.
    • Scuderia Car Parts USA = $2,185.00. Shipping $300.00
    • Algar Ferrari = $4,319.00 plus shipping costs.
    • Need new gasket P/N: 65792500 = $200.00
    Finally got the chance to call my local Ferrari dealer.
    Ferrari of Seattle now states they do windshield replacement in house. Thus they cant recommend anyone else.
    They said they now have 3 windshield technicians in-house trained on Ferrari glass replacements.

Here is their quote: Ready?
    • Windscreen/Windshield: $4,561.00
    • Gasket: $7.15
    • Install Kit: $81.33.
    • Labor: $3,564.00.
    • Misc parts: $35.64.
    • Tax: $841.41
      • Total: $9,090.53.

Another member here recommended EuroGlass of Redmond. According to him they do Ferrari Windshield replacement.
    Online reviews are all 5 star so I will call them tomorrow and get a quote.

Again, I have insurance and my insurance will pay for the replacement costs but I also want to be educated on how much these things costs to replace and if the prices quoted to me by the dealer and an independent reputable installer are fair and reasonable.

As you can see on the dealer quote above, I'm having a difficult time understanding how a windshield replacement labor will cost $3,564.00...........
    Not bashing anyone, just sharing information.

Dan

I'm 360 Canuck, f355spider and Flea7 like this.
  19. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    When I bought my F430 I asked about windshield replacement and was roughly quoted $7500 from a Dealer and possibly quite the wait to get one as it would likely be shipped from Italy.
    So I had Clear-Plex installed for $600. The Clear-Plex does work as advertised I took about a 1” rock with a hard wack in the center of my windshield from a Truck Deck and the 4mil Clear-Plex saved my windshield. There is just a tiny mark in the Clear-Plex where it ripped up from the impact. The windshield is fine underneath. Then either replace the Clear-Plex or cut out the tiny ripped area as the rest still works.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DefunctNeurons and whatheheck like this.
  20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing great info David.

Never heard of Clear-Plex before. I will look into it.

Dan

21. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    I had it installed at the same time as the Llumar PPF. So I would think most PPF installers would carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  22. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    It really costs $356.40 ... and then they add the 10x Ferrari tax

whatheheck likes this.
  23. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Wowzers Dan...what the heck?? that is one crazy rip off!!

whatheheck likes this.
  24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Ahhh, yes, I forgot about the Ferrari Tax!

Thanks!

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

25. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Dan:

Within the first 18 months ownership of Mercedes' intro SUV, I was doing about 45 mph when something hit the windshield directly in front of me. It sounded like an explosion, and I found myself covered in glass fragments. Fortunately, I did not panic when the projectile hit which undoubtedly saved me from either veering into oncoming traffic or careening onto the shoulder. The "rock" made a football-sized depression in the windshield. In replaying the moments before the impact, I do not recall seeing any vehicle in the opposite lane from where the projectile may have launched.

I brought the vehicle to the local MB dealer for repair. I learned that a) my insurance would not cover the repair, Ugh, and subsequently b) that the broken windshield was sent back to MB in Germany for failure analysis. Indeed, the laminated structure of the glass had saved my life.

As for my failure to panic, I believed the impact was so sudden that I had no chance to panic. As the experience was a unique one for me, I have wondered over the years what it must be like for someone who sees death approaching them with seconds left to live. Unsettling thoughts to say the least.

I trust you will find someone in the Seattle area that can renew your vehicle to a proper state. Thankfully, you were not injured, and we all can take solace in that.

whatheheck likes this.