Wanted - Ferrari 348TS | FerrariChat

Wanted Ferrari 348TS

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Animalerosso, May 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Animalerosso

Animalerosso Rookie

Jul 20, 2016
    Hello,

Am considering to purchase a 348TS. It seems that they were not as popular or well received . If you own one or have input on the pros and cons , please share .

2. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Pros: Semi-classic model at this point. To many that grew up in the 80s, iconic exotic styling. Bottomed out in the depreciation curve a handful of years back and rising, represents a phenomenal value for the money. Arguably one of the best steering experience to come out of Maranello. Bulletproof engine and chassis. It hits a sweet spot in the following ways: still largely "analog" with manual steering, little in the way of driver aids, and when matched to an exhaust/decat is a gritty howling wail of an exhaust note. The power is usable in that it can be grabbed by the scruff and wrung out well at reasonable speed (300hp/3klbs is an excellent ratio). Very easy to work on and service yourself. It is a simple, straightforward driving machine. If competently set up, the chassis is lot of fun, lively, and very responsive, and can make a fantastic gem of an exotic sports car that gifts you with a much more special feeling driving experience than its market contemporaries.

Cons: The engine-out service can be a cost to consider on an ongoing basis, if you're not a DIY-er. Some trim/components are not particularly well designed, so may present some upkeep or chance for tinkering. Sticky parts. Sensitive to setup and adjustment, many cars out there are not optimized which can notably impact driving experience, but is easily sorted. The driving style 348s prefer, IMO, is driving with a bit of a pace and machismo once at temp; if you prefer a relaxed cruising style or easy inputs it may leave you feeling at odds with the car's character. It is not a modern get-in-and-drive type of experience.

Have you driven one (a well sorted one)? What were your thoughts? Contrary to until somewhat recently popular opinion, they were quite well received when new, and a kind/nostalgic light is beginning to shine back on them now. Try an f355 as well, as they are quite similar and quite different in many respects. You will see which recipe speaks to you more. The 348 can be a bit polarizing in some ways, in that the character of the model may detract for some, but be defining elements to others...

eswilly and FerrariTexas like this.
  3. Bthesixthree

Bthesixthree Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 18, 2013
    CA
    Full Name:
    B
    Neighbor here in San Diego has a beautiful 1990 with 20k miles on it. "Rosso Corsa" with Tan interior. He purchased it in 2002, and drove it on the weekends until around 2008 when his kids started high school years and parked it in the garage. Last Fall (2018) he had it towed to Ferrari of San Diego and okay'd a $27k+ Major Service on it which included new Continental tires along with a new Clutch w/ Throw-out Bearing. Body is perfect save for the lower front air-dam which is scraped up due to his steep driveway. If you fix that for $1k you'd have basically a mint 348.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jjmalez likes this.
  4. Animalerosso

Animalerosso Rookie

Jul 20, 2016
    Hello

Hello,

Thanks for the information . I have driven a 355 but not a 348. I absolutely loved the 355 but price is the only thing holding me back, that’s why I’m searching for the 348.

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I drove a 355 before driving a few 348s and found the 348 really scratched my itch better. Granted, the car I ended up with (TS) has a lot of challenge bits and things that make it a little more raw, but each of the 348s I drove (including a spider) had a much more visceral appeal. The steering in a 348 is, IMO, unmatched and although the maintenance is a bit involved, getting a well sorted car makes it much less painful. So does having a good independent mechanic. I can't believe some of the insane major costs I see floating around here.

Animalerosso likes this.
  6. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    I sold my 348ts last July and miss it a lot. It is as pure of a sports car as you can get. Never driven anything that actually required work to drive but it is very rewarding.

Good luck on your search. My advice is to buy the best example you can find with extensive service record history.

Bthesixthree and Animalerosso like this.
  7. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
  8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    WOW Gorgeous!

Dream car territory right there. color-check seats-check TB- check SS- check

vinny84 likes this.
  9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Love it!

10. fcar

fcar Rookie

May 4, 2004
    #12 fcar, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2019
  11. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul

Not sure what you've decided on, but I'll share my story: I picked up a 1993 348 Serie Speciale in April. #55/100. It was meticulously maintained for years by very methodical and dedicated owners. I have a fantastic independent mechanic who's put some elbow grease into making sure things are up to spec. On my watch, 3000 miles in the past 4 months. A few road trips of about 250 miles during the brutal heatwaves in July and almost every week 1-2 days as a daily commuter to work, my tennis club, etc. So far, so good. Btw, the response above, which included the "pros" and "cons", was SPOT ON. The 348 in its many iterations is basically a GO-KART. Sharp lines, gorgeous side strakes, proportionate, pure 80s. Sounds incredible. Steering I agree, is marvelous. But it does take work to drive well. Shifting requires a deliberate, swift action. Once warmed up, it's the best. IMHO, I think the 348 is the BEST KEPT SECRET in the Ferrari world. Legendary ownership experience can be had for a fraction of the price. We've reached a point in motoring history where electric vehicles are all the rage. Modern sports cars are being eclipsed on the drag strip by Tesla Model 3s and SUVs. The age of the vintage race car is somewhat upon us. I'll conclude by repeating what many experienced and thoughtful Ferrari Chat members have noted: the 348 was maligned for no good reason at inception. More than anything, the timing of it's release was less than optimal. The competition at that time, e.g. NSX, offered better performance at half the price. But it's not 1993. It's 2019. And, brother, let me tell you....my ownership experience has been awesome. I hope you pull the trigger.
    Cheers,
    Rahul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. dvelez2

dvelez2 Karting

Jan 20, 2016
    Full Name:
    Daniel A. Velez
    PM me if you’d consider a 1991 TS with 19xxx miles. Rosso Corsa with Black interior. Recent engine out service.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app