New Guy Looking for Help | FerrariChat

New Guy Looking for Help

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Superdog0013, May 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Superdog0013

Superdog0013 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Like many, I have always dreamed about Ferrari. I have slowly worked my way up from a 300zx and I am currently driving a three pedal 911 Targa 4 GTS, which I will keep.

I currently have an opportunity to jump into dream car territory. I am currently looking at a 2013 - 5,020 mile black on black 458 spider. It has nearly two years left on CPO. I would also be the 5th owner.

It does not have the front axle lift. I think this might be a deal breaker. It also does not have a rearview camera or nav. I think I am okay with that.

I have read here that a lot of people drive their cars up to big miles. I have seen some claim over 100,000 miles. Everything I see for sale is under 14k miles. But, much bigger discounts for the higher mileage cars.

Dealership wants 219k for the car. My research tells me that this is neither good, nor bad, but a fair deal. Which is fine by me.

Certainly it would be better to pick something up sub 200k dollars. But I also don't want to skimp on this purchase as I hope to have this car for a long time.

Any thoughts or advice on what I have posted above would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Superdog

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

sampelligrino likes this.
  3. Superdog0013

Superdog0013 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Thanks. Similar conversations on the 911 991.2 forums about the FAL.

I am not sure I can live without. They are offering to take it to my house to confirm my driveway won't be an issue. If its not, I would be fine with it.

Otherwise, numbers and whatnot look okay? Mileage not an issue?

4. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    The Gallardo I had for 5 years didn't have the lift option and I never needed it. My 458 has the lift and I've never used it except for the car going on and off the transporter. I guess it depends on where you drive the car.

LVP488 likes this.
  5. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I would NEVER get a gt3 without the front lift, the chin spoiler makes the overhang way too low. Scrapes even with a lift. The 458 however, (assuming you are stock height or have no intention of lowering), can live without a lift. It clears higher than my r8 and gt3 by a lot. I never run into scraping situation with that car over many years of driving in LA (if you drive and scrap at places where even your prius, camry or bmw will scrap, then you kinda deserve it lol)

So I actually think no lift isnt a deal breaker, but i think backup cam is actually nice. Not as important in a spider with the roof down tho.

docf, johnr265, SoCal to az and 2 others like this.
  6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i had a f430 without a lift and it would scrape my driveway if it didn't go in at a perfect 45 degree angle. i have a 458 and it doesn't scrape no matter how i go in. never had an issue with it.

the price seems high. i paid $183k for a 2012 with 5500 miles but it was a coupe. I'm not sure a year new and spider would $35k more but what do i know

7. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It's not just your driveway to be concerned about. There's the unexpected rut, speed bump, other driveway entrances, road construction dips, etc. The asking price seems fair for a low mileage spider, but there may be some wiggle room.

sampelligrino and PA Wolfpacker like this.
  8. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    No front lifters, just another item that will break over time. Also I think you cannot adjust the suspension if need be, I have been told? Don’t know if thats true? Something to do with the space the lifter takes up...

9. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Look forward to seeing pictures if you get it. I am in the same boat. Moved up through the sports car food chain. Now on a 991 GTS looking toward an F car!

J

sampelligrino likes this.
  10. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You will be fine without the lift, I had one with it and one without it and never scraped the later one ever even going up and down steep, the ground clearance in the front is huge

11. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I have a 2015 with the lift option and only used it when the dealer picks up the car with the enclosed trailer for the once a year service, never used it in the city.....oh and used it to show the kids how cool it is. The price is about right....you are buying from a Ferrari dealer and there is a little premium over the private guy, and you also get piece of mind for the slightly higher number.

12. Superdog0013

Superdog0013 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    thanks guys. really appreciate all the insight. i am now much less concerned about the lift.

i do have my SA driving it to my house today though, just to check. i do realize that I will sometimes have an issue, and that is just fine. issues happen. however, if it scrapes my driveway every time it is in or out, that will get frustrating. that said, i am feeling pretty good about todays test based on what you guys are all saying.

regarding price, i do think it is a fair number. i have checked what feels like very 458 for sale in the US. by no means is this price out of an reasonable range. and I am okay paying a slight premium for the peace of mind going to an authorized dealership. on top of that, i grew up 15 miles from this place. i had passed it as a kid hundreds of times. to now actually buy a car from this dealership.... well, its a big deal to me. a very big deal.

i think i am comfortable with the amount of miles and owners too. i am learning that most of us car nuts continue to jump in and out of cars. even with F cars. and here i thought it was an anomaly.

i also found a local storage space for winter. all in all, this is going swimmingly.

thanks again everyone. grateful for the time you took to post your thoughts. I will post pics in this thread later on today.

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I haven't ever had or needed a lift on my 911, Cali T or 488. The car I had the most problems with was a 2010 bmw535i believe it or not.

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Lift not necessary but I have used mine in several situations. The backup camera is important to make sure there is nothing you can't see before you back up.

15. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

So is the front lift system failure prone? I hadn't heard that before. I did hear that the car could not be lowered with the OEM lift system, but that's of no significance to me.

16. Superdog0013

Superdog0013 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Ash Patel likes this.
  17. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I have a 2013 spider without the lift. I have also lowered it on the factory springs by a good inch.
    For years my dealer, FOA, has installed Kevlar skid plates on the fronts of Ferraris before lifters were ever an option.
    This way if you do scarpe it is not the paint.
    Yes I scrape every time I drive on my crazy driveway. No, I couldn't care less due to the skid plates.
    No you are not likely to scrape unless you are really uncareful at standard ride height.
    Yes, you can lower a lifter equipped car using the stock suspension. No, you can't lower it as much as a car without the lifter.
    Best

Viperjoe likes this.
  18. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just basically as someone mentioned earlier, if you scrape a prius then you should be careful with the 458, otherwise it's all good.

Btw the car looks awesome. Black is one of my fav colours on that car and together with the yellow callipers which also looks best together with the shields this spec is stunning, now go and buy it asap ;)