Sad: but a reminder to all of us... | FerrariChat

Sad: but a reminder to all of us...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JimPVB, May 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
  2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    If it wasn't a Ferrari or Tesla on autopilot it wouldn't have made the news. If it wasn't a Ferrari then they wouldn't care if speed was a factor. Could have been a wet road or someone cut them off. Not wearing seatbelts is stupid and double stupid in a convertible.

350MH83 likes this.
  3. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    When someone dies in a crash in my town, it makes the news, regardless of the car involved. I certainly can't speak to the actual cause, wasn't there, and I will not repeat here what is being said about the accident by people that know those involved, those statements have not been verified. The road in that area is two lane, not heavily traveled at that time of the day, and the turn there requires your attention, especially at night. My post is less about speed and accidents, and more about putting these cars in the hands of young unskilled drivers, and while it's true that speed could have been a factor even in a Toyota, I think we can all agree that the enticement factor is just a little higher in an exotic.

Jim

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Three key words “neither wearing seatbelt”. They were ejected from the car. They were probably under the influence as well.

5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    It wouldn't go any better on a racetrack if you don't wear a seatbelt. Isn't that the real reminder? Put your seatbelt on.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/seat-belts

Slightly of topics, news4jax has some qualities writerz.

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    look at the picture of that car and tell me speed was not a factor

Thecadster likes this.
  7. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida

Sure, there is more than one reminder in that article.

Jim

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    With all these beeps going off it amazes me anyone still refuses to wear a seatbelt these days.

Years ago, just before I was allowed to start driving, I was at Silverstone for the F1 and they had a car crash simulator. Sat in a rollercoaster type cart and it would make a short ride downwards and make a solid stop. Speed was only 15mph I think. It made a great impact for me and always wore a belt since. Mind you I'm well over 6ft tall and played full contact rugby 2x a week at the time.

stavura, of2worlds and crinoid like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing, and it's always a good reminder for all us to respect these cars and the potential of harm that is possible.

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Look at the car, I don't think a seatbelt would've made a damn bit of difference other than allowing them to burn to death.

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Nonsense. The windshield is cracked but whole and you can still see an unscathed cavalino stitched into the head rest. I think they would have survived quite well.

stavura, Lukeylikey and 350MH83 like this.
  12. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I guess the car flipped. If you flip in a convertible without seatbelt you have no chance to survive.
    I wear seatbelt as soon as I sit in a car.

stavura, crinoid and dmark1 like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Is it possible your friend may be facing legal issues?

14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It flipped. Most likely they’d have ended up quadriplegic/ give me death first.

crinoid likes this.
  15. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Although I was a practicing attorney in this area, I can't answer that based on the limited information I have at this point, and it would be unfair to speculate and possibly affect public opinion without those facts. It is also possible the owner visits Fchat, and it would be rude on my part to add to the obvious stress he must be feeling based on the circumstances.

Jim

3#golfsaurus, dustman and of2worlds like this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Of course, totally understand.
    I just wonder in general about giving rides and loaning cars like this.
    I have chosen, on advice, to be very careful about passengers on “joy rides” in exotic cars.
    Terrible story, but it is a reminder.
    Thanks.

JimPVB likes this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I can see the rear rollover bars are ejected but the windscreen and surround are intact and unmoved. It seems hard to believe it fully rolled without seriously altering the windscreen aperture. Seatbelts not being worn are a key issue here I believe. If you get thrown from a car at any speed the results are not nice.

crinoid likes this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Just don't get it ? No seatbelts. Why , why , why ?

19. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Very sad. Article said they were 41 and 42. Not necessarily young, that's middle age.

20. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Good point, young to me!

Jim

21. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    Very Sad,
    Although it might be a nice idea, loaning a high performance car to a unfamiliar driver is a big risk....I prefer to take a friend for a ride and reduce the chance for an upset like this.

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Clunk Click Every Trip. My brother was a back seat pax in a friends car when we were like 16 ,didn't wear seat belt ,ends up through the windscreen ,still has scars to prove it.

He was lucky..