Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 36 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    You misunderstand the relationship between Panasonic and Tesla. This is why Tesla is making acquisitions like Maxwell Tech, not Panasonic. While the dimensions of the cells the Panasonic makes for Tesla (aka the 18650s) may be the same as for other automakers, the chemistry is not.

Tesla's motor and inverter efficiency is significantly better than the competition at this point. While its quite possible that MB/Audi/VW/Jaguar will catch up in that regard, its just as likely that Tesla will catch up in terms of build quality. In addition, while I would love for Tesla's build quality to improve, many brands have been fairly successful for decades with much worse build quality.

m5shiv likes this.
  2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Having been building EV tech for the last 5 years, I beg to differ.

3. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Stock price and financial performance (while admittedly being part of this thread due to the OP) is technically a separate discussion. The historical financial performance of the Scuderia prior to RACE was abysmal for example but they were bailed out multiple times and persevered to create perhaps the greatest brand of all time.

4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Same here, please explain because it;s really basic...

5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I would like to discuss this with you (and anyone else) at the 2019 Quail Motorsports Gathering where more will be revealed.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    VW/Porsche owns 10% of Rimac as a developmental relationship. I think you'll find they do...

Yes...the cars. They're simply not great quality. For the price you pay I find it substandard. I admit they do have great batteries. But putting it in a bad package and frankly terrible customer service, it's not exactly great is it?

Yep. This thread started as a share price thing, and if we focus on just that, Tesla is not having a great time and about to have a worse one. Q2 will be shockingly bad. Musk re-iterated on his production goal and we all know he's never going to hit it. All the big boys have been steadily dumping...now if Elon is so smart, and the cars are so great, and no one apparently can do what Tesla does....why are they all dumping?
    I have driven a Model S. Apart from the torque I found it an underwelming experience. Interior was crap. It's minimalistic (my taste normally), but it's of bad quality and the screen, I won't call it innovative. I'd call it a distraction. Adjusting things, you're not reaching for familiar buttons at a quick glance. It's all just finger sliding over menus and submenus. Not good IMO. The fact that Mercedes etc are all moving to big screens, but still use buttons for the important features. Why? Because just that...we don't need distractions. The same reason why BMW's iDrive didn't have everything from that round button thing, but still the most important parts instantly accessible with buttons.

I see the point of EV's as a daily driver thing. So long you got a charger at home and as a commute, it saves going to the petrol station, something I'm sure we all hate as it either makes you have to leave early for work or you don't want to do it on your way home...Me especially, because of my height I tend to drive without shoes, so putting shoes back on again for standing outside is a nuisance.

But they're not nearly as clean as we're constantly told. That's my big issue with them. There's so many people endorsing EV's from a green POV and they haven't a clue what they're on about. It's the same type of people that wanted to force us all to have diesels 20 years or so ago until they found out they weren't as great as told....and now they're banned from even entering several cities! It's dangerous to just jump from one thing to the next without considering all factors.

Ah yes...Maxwell. A company they bought in a stock swap because they haven't got the money (boy with Maxwell regret that soon). The big boys will indeed all catch up soon, but no, Tesla will not improve their build quality. They have, at best, 10 months cash left. The model S is ancient. The model X is old, too. Can't retool for the Model 3, either. What are they going to do? They've not got the money to design a Model S replacement. Or the rest.

F2003-GA likes this.
  7. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #882 m5shiv, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    9 Concept Ones versus 530,000 Teslas ? What am I missing ? I'm a great fan of Mr Rimac and all EV and supercar pioneers. I've met with Elon, Glickenhaus, Rimac, Koenigsegg, etc. and admire and respect them. But so far, it's only Elon that has serious metal on the ground in volume.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's about the battery tech, no? Porsche (and presumably VW group) has access to that. Rimac isn't and never will be a mass producer.

9. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Yes it is, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, no ? I'm very excited about the Taycan but haven't been able to drive one yet let alone discover a US delivery date. I commented some time ago on a different thread about the Rimac when the LaF video came out and blew me away and if I recall, and the archives don't lie, you were very negative.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

For me it saves mes 40 minutes each way to be in a EV.
    Build quality as improved tremendously in the latest iteration though.
    Again I have no share in Tesla’s and at heart am a Mercedes guy when it comes to technology. Obviously California is not the center of the the universe or the world but here they make a lot of sense. In Europe, or outside the Us? Not so much.
    By only pet peeve with Tesla has been customer service: terrible, u can’t speak to a real human; teir order systems is crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Please try a Model 3 Performance Dual Motor. Still has some of the core issues you complain about (not contesting those, actually mostly agree) and I really miss an instrument cluster, especially at night (I love driving at night) but the driving experience is profound IMHO.

Bas likes this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm curious, how does an EV save 40 mins each way? Must be a special lane of some sort?

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes sir. Traffic in California is terrible. 30 miles no EV 1:30, with 45 minutes. Life changing.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What does Glickenhaus have to do with this? He hasn't done much as far as production either. Matte has made a deal with Porsche. He is far out pacing Glickenhaus...

15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    He's a supercar pioneer, that's all.

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    gotta love it... use american tax payer dollars (which OF COURSE... the rich don't pay their fair share :) )

Give it to people who buy 100k dollar cars to subsidize their purchase

Give them massively reduced registration rates and in some states no sales tax on that 100k car...

Never have them pay for the roads that they are driving on through a gasoline tax...

And give them their own lane...

Sounds like a great plan...

hypocrites

BMW.SauberF1Team and Bas like this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    what has he pioneered?

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    ohh thanks for being the arbiter of what this is supposed to be. don't crack under the heat.

Everyone is being very civil

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Actually my Fiat 500e is what I used to commute and it cost me 10k cash so you are incorrect all accounts above. U should review the EV lane requirements. U can have a lot of cheap cars in there or u have some that are fast track and u just pay for it.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thats great and all but what do you make of this:

Sarah Maryssael, Tesla’s global supply manager for battery metals, told a closed-door Washington conference of miners, regulators and lawmakers that the automaker sees a shortage of key EV minerals coming in the near future

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes and you bought your fiat 500e used. Just because you did this doesn't mean that this didn't happen with model s and x owners.

I am not incorrect on all the accounts above they are factually based and you can't disprove that that didn't happen because it did. Not in every case... but in the case of every tesla it is accurate.

So I don't need to review anything

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Then u should have stipulated it .HOV/EV lanes are not for expensive cars only.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    never said that it was for expensive use only. You added that. not me single occupancy lane can be used if you buy a tesla

24. Natkingcolebasket69

U mention 100k cars ... anyways ....

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ah got you. Yes totally makes sense then as a daily.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.