Monaco - Pre race thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Monaco - Pre race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, May 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

2. DF1

For so many tracks, like Barcelona our last race - a good start is so important! :)

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143500/why-f1-starts-are-so-hard-to-get-right

As Mercedes Formula 1 team-mates Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas's title battle develops, there has been a special focus on how they get off the line differently.

More than once this season they have swapped places as grands prix begin, with each of them winning and losing on the run to the first corner.

Bottas came out on top in Australia, overturning Hamilton's pole advantage, but he lost out to Hamilton after starting first in both China and Spain.

Even after an initial debrief with his engineers in Spain, Bottas said the reason for his poor start was a mystery.

"China, it was a bit more my own fault," he said a few hours after the Barcelona race. "And I felt I definitely could have done something better there.

"Here, if I could do it again I wouldn't do anything different, and we're still investigating.

"We can definitely see the vibration on the clutch and the abnormal behaviour, which cost me that few crucial metres on the way to Turn 1.

"I kind of felt it just by g-force, it was going up and down, and the whole car was vibrating, and we can already see from the data that because of that my hand and the car was vibrating as well.

"It was with very high friction, biting and releasing, so I lost quite a few metres with that in the initial part. The rest of the start was pretty good.

"Now, thinking back, one practice start gave some hints of that kind of behaviour, but there was also some wheelspin at the same time.

"So I thought it was just down to wheelspin and tyres vibrating. It was nothing on the level I experienced today. I've never had this kind of feeling before in this car at the race start."

The team continued to look into the issue, and concluded that it was most likely the case that the track lacked grip around pole position, pointing to problems suffered by the polesitters in support races. Investigations are still ongoing.

It goes without saying that getting an F1 car off the line is not as easy as it looks, and a couple of years ago the FIA actively tried to make it harder by imposing restrictions on radio communications with the pitwall in the build-up to the start to stop drivers having too much help with their clutch settings.

But just how hard is it, and what sort of procedures does a driver have to go through? After the race in Spain, Hamilton gave an intriguing insight.

"It's been the same for a long, long time," he said. "The start is quite technical, you've got to hit a certain rev setting, you've got to heat the tyres up a certain amount, when you release the clutch you've got to hit a target, a certain percentage - the lever is 0 to 100% - and there's a target somewhere in there, which is really, really hard to feel.

"You've got to get somewhere near your target. If you're too shallow, you under-engage, too deep, you over-engage.

"You do all the practices at the end of the pitlane, it's different grip when you get onto the track, sometimes it's more grip, sometimes it's less grip.

"And after that it's the technique, once you have hit your target or whether you are deep or not, around a second after that as you start to accelerate it's then how you release the clutch and accelerate and apply throttle, and that whole combination, the drive out phase, the second phase, is very important.

"Also the shift points have to be perfect. And it's all about distance, you measure it by who covers the most distance from the start, lights out to the first corner. It's very technical."

The start start will be even more crucial at the upcoming race in Monaco. Who will get it right?

of2worlds likes this.
  3. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Not very funny wishing harm to two 20 year old drivers, I’m not laughing.

4. DF1

Have another drink. Place me on ignore and move on. No loss.

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    6 real passes @ Monaco vs 50 fake DRS passes. I'll take the 6 real race passes thanks. :oops:

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    So you want another Merc win??? :mad:

I hope the slowest car wins :p Forza Williams :D

Remy Zero and Bas like this.
  7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That’s not what he meant and you surely know it. No one has died hitting the wall of champions for a start anyway, but DF was having some sarcastic fun at the expense of a couple of dipstick drivers.. big deal. Come on buddy, save the vitriol for those that deserve it - the knuckedraggers at Mercedes!

Bas likes this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mario Isola - Pirelli Head of F1 and Car Racing: "Unsurprisingly, we’re bringing our softest tyres to Monaco, with the C5 being broadly equivalent to last year’s hypersoft but designed to have less graining in cooler temperatures and to give a greater possibility for the drivers to push hard from the start to the finish of each stint. This means that not as much tyre management is needed as for the 2018 hypersoft, but its excellent performance is still maintained–so we could be in for a fast race, especially compared to last year"

Pirelli’s first private test of prototype 2020 wet-weather tyres will take place after the Monaco Grand Prix, with Ferrari and Red Bull trying out potential intermediate and full wet tyres for next year at Paul Ricard in France from May 28-29.

Ferrari will run just for the first day, while Red Bull will drive for both days.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The sector times that leave Mercedes' rivals fearful for Monaco

In recent years, Red Bull and Ferrari travelled to the Monaco GP bullish that the track’s characteristics could give it a decent shot of stopping the dominant Mercedes team.

With the German car manufacturer's old engine advantage negated by the tight and twisty layout, and its longer wheelbase car not ideal for the street circuit, its rivals have been able to knock it off the top spot.

Sebastian Vettel triumphed in 2017, while Daniel Ricciardo won the race for Red Bull last year. The Australian should also have won in 2016 were it not for a pitstop blunder when his tyres were not ready.

But this year both Ferrari and Red Bull are under no illusions that Mercedes is heading there as the clear favourite – based not only on the German car manufacturer's dominant start to 2019 but also by analysis of where the W10 was quickest in Spain.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner said: "Their fifth 1-2 finish is exceedingly dominant and certainly in Monaco if you look at their performance in the low-speed section of [Bacelona] you'd expect them to be very strong in Monaco.

"I think they'll certainly be very much the favourites there but obviously we'll be trying our best to challenge them as best we can."

Horner's reference to the low-speed performance came after a Spanish GP weekend where Mercedes excelled in the tight final sector of the circuit.

The pace of cars from the tight left-hander at Turn 10 to the start-finish line is often viewed as a good indicator of how strong cars will be at Monaco – which features similar speed corners.

Taking the best time from each car, this year's best Sector 3 times from Q3 are below, with a comparison of how much change there has been since last year when Red Bull was the quickest team through there.

......... Team...........................S3 time..................... Change 2018/2019
    1. Mercedes ..........................25.878s........................... -0.441s
    2. Red Bull .............................26.322s.......................... +0.163s
    3. Ferrari................................ 26.513s............................+0.314s
    4. Haas.................................. 26.612s............................ -0.159s
    5. Toro Rosso........................ 26.702s............................ -0.141s
    6. Renault.............................. 26.749s........................... +0.068s
    7. McLaren............................ 26.811s............................ +0.122s
    8. Alfa Romeo....................... 26.973s............................. -0.184s
    9. Racing Point...................... 27.015s............................. -0.013s
    10. Williams.......................... 27.559s.............................. +0.015s

As well as Mercedes enjoying a 0.444 second advantage over Red Bull, and a 0.635 seconds edge over Ferrari this year, the S3 figures show the incredible step forward that Mercedes has made in 2019.

Asked whether the turnaround between Mercedes and Red Bull in the final sector was down to his team taking a step back with its car or Mercedes moving forward, Horner said: "I think it's a combination.

"Mercedes have done a very good job in extracting performance from the car in that part of the circuit, and I think that we are not at our optimum yet in terms of where we'd like to be with these new regulations and construction of tyres."

For Ferrari, whose driver Vettel singled out sector three as an 'Achilles Heel', there remains a slim hope that the sector three form may not be a full indicator of how things will be in Monaco.

Team principal Mattia Binotto said: "I think that Monaco is quite a different circuit to Barcelona in the overall way that you setup the car, and with the mechanical [aspects] that you can work on.

"The tyre compounds will be different to Barcelona so I think at the end it is a different circuit. There is no doubt that downforce is useful in Monaco as it is in Barcelona, but I think our drivers can still do well in Monaco."

Few believe, however, that anyone other than Mercedes will be at the front this weekend.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sector-times-mercedes-rivals-fearful-monaco/4392210/

10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Folks, don't forget FP1 and FP2 is scheduled for Thursday because Friday is a holiday in Monaco.

absostone and 375+ like this.
  11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I wonder what they'll do as a tribute to Niki.

12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    2 things

1) Sam Posey narrate a TV spot tribute before the race. Have him start drafting it now (If he can).

2) Ferrari flies in either now or tomorrow a 312T or 312T2 with his name on it-->have it do an installation lap before the race.

That's my 2 cents.

13. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    An installation lap would be cool.....who would/should drive, I wonder?

(As an aside, does Jackie Stewart EVER drive anything on track?)

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

Thomas S. likes this.
  15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Kimi.

Thomas S. likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Someone who can drive a manual transmission for starters.

DF1 and G. Pepper like this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Ickx comes to mind. Has to be someone from that era.

375+ and G. Pepper like this.
  18. petrol_junkie

petrol_junkie Karting

Jan 16, 2017
    Dublin
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #47 375+, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    A bit tardy, Charles still needs to work on his starts.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Imagine if it were Ricci. He'd back into the street sign. ;)

stavura, daytona355 and petrol_junkie like this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009