mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 96 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The C8 will look a lot better than this McLame duck.

jkddad, CK7684 and TheMayor like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree with you because the Mac does look very "generic sports car" and the C8 looks like a crisper version of it.

I still do not understand the purpose of the Mac GT. They knew the Vette was coming and its certainly a "GT".

crinoid likes this.
  3. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I like that car as well but the mules have a significantly higher fender line.

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    There has been much disappointment at the slow progress of the roll out for the new C8 Corvette. One of the delays as noted earlier has been with the electrical system for this new product. It seems the new C8 electrical requirements exceed the "current" standards found elsewhere in the GM products. So a new wiring harness and the rest of the work necessary for the demands of the new C8 created a substantial delay in the introduction. Progress has obviously been made on that front. With a firm intro date to the press the second official step in eventually starting production to build C8 Corvettes for sale to the public.

jm2 likes this.
  5. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    of2worlds and Boomhauer like this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  7. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    She should rent that out as a billboard.

jkddad and TheMayor like this.
  8. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Gotta say she looks way better than the C8.

9. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Plus I laugh at the game changer quotes being thrown around. What game is the C8 actually going to change? The one its playing in by itself. Other manufacturers are not going to feel the need to react to the C8. Unless someone chunks a ME models and brings out an FE to fill the void. That would be awesome actually so long as it had a manual option. Porsche bring back the 928!!! V8, front engine with a manual!

10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #2387 jimmyb, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Porsche tried the front engine sports car thing enough times and none stuck (although most sucked). I doubt they want to dip their toe in that water again.
    As far as someone trying to actually compete with the Corvette, well, automotive history is littered with their bones (944/968/300ZX/RX-7/Stealth/3000GT/Supra/and others I forget).
    And you are right, the C8 is a game changer...for Corvette, since no one seems to able to mount any kind of meaningful and sustainable competition after 65 years.

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    To each his own, I suppose.

12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Your joking right? The vette has been awesome, elite, game changer, cutting edge, end all be all for 65 yrs. Yeah right. Its actually been subpar for almost half those years. If not then why would Zora of all people be asking for a ME in the late 50's? I have owned 6 of them and love them all but I am a different breed that does not see the benefit of an ME now. Back then there were not that many. Today, too many. The market is flooded. So to make the C8 a barn burner then we will make it cheap. Anything under $100k base will have plastic and smell like glue. You can have it.

13. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    And yes the corvette's ass has gotten worse a lot quicker than hers. So she wins.

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Thanks, I'll take it. The new Corvette will be what the marque has always been, IMO. For those expecting it to be a Ferrari/Lamborghini/McLaren simply because of engine location, well, that's not what a Corvette is (and never will be). And what a silly statement...."subpar"??? NO ONE is suggesting that the 66 years of Corvette have been filled with home runs. But it has survived for 66 years and whether you like it or not, NO ONE else can make that claim. And the "emission" years gave us a plethora of DOG sports cars, to single out Corvette as the only disappointing sports car of this dark era when a current Camry will absolutely eat a 328 ALIVE is naïve at best. Let's not forget the condition of Ferrari when Luca took over in the early 1990's.

Tadge Juechter (Corvette chief engineer) has pushed to go mid-engine for well over a decade. Why? By his admission, the front engine platform was at the end of the road in terms of traction. Is Tadge trying to make a Ferrari? If you think that, then I don't know what to tell you. He's trying to make the best Corvette he can make while keeping the brand standards. ANYONE can make a GREAT $250K sports car.

sigar likes this.
  16. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    And your explanation just proved my point about Corvette in general. The fact that it was built in such years that it actually embarrassing is not an accomplishment to me. Continuous production of it means nothing to me. So what if most cars were horrible in the 70's. The vette was not at the top of the performance market among US cars during this time. We can go on and on about the past. This is about the C8. It plays in a sandbox by itself and thus will not be a "Game Changer". There are too many ME brands out there. The only thing that makes it stand out is price when new. Wait till the performance models come and the price is up there. Ford made the first GT's that were a throwback and awesome cars. They also had a base price of $150k back then and sold them all. Then they made the current GT and sell them at $450k. Those cars are game changers of there time and will always be highly regarded and sought after. We'll see where the C8 lands.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What's a ME or FE?

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Mid engine. Front engine.

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Building on the clarification for Texas Forever:

The implied assumption is that the engine is typically behind front axle and the driver in ME (driver in front of engine) and engine is ahead of the driver in FE. I suppose the rare exception might be something like this where both engine and driver are moved rearward resulting in a bit of a hybrid FE-ME vehicle (driver over rear axle).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

You have a point on that. The ME is now MeToo where it used to stick out in the Front Engine Muscle car category and now is like so many other European mid engine sports cars

Texas Forever and rdefabri like this.
  21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agree from a global perspective, but a “me too” will help Corvette in Europe.

In US, there aren’t many ME cars in the price range the C8 will be. I think it will be different enough to have interest.

It looks pretty cool.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I really don't see a lot of these being sold in Europe. Maybe Asia. I can see them in China for example. GM is well liked in China.

When I would see American cars in Europe its always "oddballs". Jeeps are popular because they are so American. Same for Mustangs and a few Corvettes. Mustangs LOOK American. Anytime American cars look like European cars they would rather own the European car.

I just can't see someone saying they would rather have this than a Porsche in Europe, at least in high numbers.