911 (Type 993): Turbo, Carrera RS 3.8, GT2, and more | Page 2 | FerrariChat

911 (Type 993): Turbo, Carrera RS 3.8, GT2, and more

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Mar 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #27 joe sackey, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Boomhauer and cnpapa24 like this.
  3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

NürScud likes this.
  4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The GT1 (and its CLK GTR counterpart) were certainly compromised as road cars, but conversely they truly make for the ultimate track day tools. "Racing cars with numberplates," for once not an exaggeration

6. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

993 RS put through its paces by Andrew Frankel

7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

A 993 prototype photographed at Porsche Monterey in October, 1993.

Note the Nevada manufacturer plates - Porsche Cars North America had opened in Reno, NV in 1984, which lasted until the HQ was moved to Atlanta in 1998, where it currently resides. Prior to PCNA, USA Porsche dealers took their orders directly from Stuttgart.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

joe sackey likes this.
  8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

This is an aside from the topic of this thread, but for those who want the full PCNA story referenced above, see below authored by Teresa Aquila, who worked there as a mechanic:

As I reflect back on my mechanical career, the job that really had great substance was my years working for Porsche Cars North America here in Reno, Nevada, the year, 1984. Although the few years I spent working for this Iconic and prestigious automobile manufacture, was a lifelong privilege. The one thing I learned from the German Porsche Mechanics and is still with me today, is you never say Porsch, it is “PORSCHE”!

Porsche introduced their first vehicle to North America in 1950 when Porsche leases space in the Reutter body factory in Zuffenhausen, Germany a Stuttgart suburb. Reutter builds bodies for the 356 and production reaches 369 for the year. Sportscar enthusiasts take notice of the lightweight, quick-handling 356. In New York, importer Max Hoffman places the first North American order for Porsches. The very next year, 1951 Ferdinand Porsche dies and the horsepower for the 356 jump 60. This began a love for the Porsche within America so much so that in 1984 Porsche opened Porsche Cars North America in two locations with Headquarters in Reno, Nevada. Prior to this change, the American Porsche Dealers would receive their orders directly from Stuttgart, Germany but inventory was limited and by opening their own PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) Centers, inventory within America increased. This allowed for the influx of the mid priced Porsches 924 and the 944.

The Porsche market increased and production of all models which included, 911, 924, 944 and the 928 was accelerating. This facility was state of the art when built and housed the PDI Center, complete and well equipped mechanical shop, Dynamometer, alignment rack, body shop and paint booth in one portion of the facility. Porsche also built a fully stocked warehouse of Porsche and Volkswagen parts for West Coast Distribution adjacent to the PDI portion. My first days of employment as a Mechanic for PCNA was memorable and one of my duties was to literally grab a tooth brush and clean the cracks between the entire brick floor that was installed in the Mechanical and Body shop area. As a mechanic, normally you were required to supply your own tools necessary to do the work, but not for Porsche. They supplied it all. I only needed to arrive on my first day with a lunch box. As for the special tools needed to work on this type of automobile was also supplied and there was a room fully stocked with all necessary special tools that would be needed to perform many of the repairs. Porsche wasted no expense.

Since these vehicles were produced in Stuttgart, they would then be shipped to America via Ship, destination the Bay Area, only to then be shipped to Reno, Nevada by transport carrier for this PDI center to perform the Pre Delivery Inspection. You probably think that since these vehicles were shipped right from the factory with some 5 miles on them, they arrived flawless. Not so. Let me explain. It wasn’t due to factory issues, but transportation ones. These vehicles would be loaded onto a ship and sail across the ocean only to arrive in America a few months later. Off loaded and then loaded onto a transport carrier and headed up to Reno. I was always amazed as to what we encountered once the Porsches arrived in Reno. Parts would be missing, mold and mildew in the interior and body damage occurred while in transport either by ship or carrier. Porsche was aware prior to building these 2 facilities here in America of what might transpire and prepared for it by staffing their locations to handle these repairs.

The very early days of employment with PCNA, several of the engineers and mechanics from Porsche in Germany, arrived here in Reno, Nevada to train all of us to their standards. This in itself was a wonderful experience. The pride these men had in their product was contagious. I listened as they explained the process and the end result to include how repairs would be performed and to insure that when you were completed with the repair, your foot print of work looked as if it came right off the production line.

The PDI process begins with the vehicle arriving by carrier, then placed in the staging area. All vehicles that arrived were covered with layers of Cosmoline to protect the paint from the salty seas and help eliminate rust from developing. The vehicle entered the wash area where the Cosmoline would be removed and then travel to the next station where inspectors would check for paint or body flaws, interior and exterior cleaned and wiped down to include the glass. The flaw would be noted, then advance to the battery station, where a new battery was installed. It then moved forward to the undercarriage station over a pit and a inspector checked the undercarriage for any damage or missing items, leak, etc. Once that was complete, the vehicle was then tested on the Dynamometer, which I was one of two techs trained to operate, to examine the shifting, turbo boost, horsepower and make sure other components are functional. If there were flaws or mechanical needs, the vehicle would be stagged in order for a technician to perform the necessary repairs, or for the body shop to perform any cosmetic repairs.

Unfortunately Porsche Cars North America Headquarters left Reno, Nevada on March 10, 1998 and headed to Atlanta where it currently resides. Porsches pride to produce a superior product was felt at all levels and the talent of many provided me knowledge I could not have received in any other job. I place it as Priceless. I now have a rare opportunity after all these years to write for a company who specializes in Porsche 911 racing engines and various parts, the company, EBS Racing. I once again find myself honored to use my talents that I have acquired over the years and I thank those men who stepped up and allowed me the opportunity to consume their knowledge. I still keep in touch with many who I was pleased to have known and worked with at PCNA to this day.

I must express my gratitude to a man who offered me the opportunity to work for PCNA and saw great potential in my ability. He was always positive and supportive allowing me to grow into an industry mostly dominated by males. Thank You!

Dave Martin began his career with Porsche Cars North America in 1984 in Reno, Nevada, as Pre-delivery Manager and has since occupied several key management roles in vehicle sales as well as parts and service. Dave rose to serve as Regional Manager covering the mid-west and then southern California until his promotion to Manager of Vehicle Distribution and Logistics. In 1999, Dave assumed the position of General Manager of Service until a major restructuring in 2003, when he was offered the opportunity to supervise all AfterSales operations in North America as Vice President, AfterSales.

9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#34 Sterling Sackey, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    The 993 Turbo.

This generation of the 911 Turbo was the realization of 959-level performance from a standard Porsche 911 Turbo, almost a decade after that car had been the king of the Porsche lineup.

The highlights were a new four-wheel drive system, which, while adding weight, applied the engine's prodigious power to the ground with the utmost assurance in all conditions. That engine was also something very new, the main highlight being twin-turbochargers for the first time in a 911 Turbo. This reduced turbo lag and, of course, increased horsepower immensely. Interestingly, this was also the first 911 Turbo to switch to electronic fuel injection from the old Bosch K-Jetronic mechanical system that the 911 Carrera had dispatched with over ten years earlier. Finally, Porsche stretched the body width even further than the standard 993, which had already grown to near the 964 Turbo's width.

The release of this car at the same time as the GT2 meant it deviated towards an even more "luxurious" GT feel than former 911 Turbos, but there is no doubt it was a true performance monster in its day (and still today), and a worthy end to the air-cooled 911 Turbo saga.

Having driven multiple of these cars, they always leave me with the impression they would be a perfect companion for a cross-country blast!

NürScud and Boomhauer like this.
  10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not to send this thread careening wildly off-topic, but since it is a turbo thread, this may be a good time to go down memory lane and remind you that you actually learned to drive a manual gearbox car as a teenager in no less than the USA Prototype 930 3.0 Turbo Carrera 0014, in the parking lot of the local Federal building.

Fortunately no arrests were made

NürScud, Boomhauer and cnpapa24 like this.
  11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

That's right, it's a rare car although a manual transmission driver from my generation is even rarer!

joe sackey likes this.
  12. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

A period video in German showing 993 cars being produced on the same line as Boxsters in Stuttgart.

13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Doug DeMuro's walk-around of the 993 Carrera RS. His videos are a fairly broad, but very in-depth as far as the actual features & interesting details on the car:

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
  15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Looks like the 1998 Ruf Turbo R Limited which sold at RM Sotheby's Monterey 2018 for $912,500 inclusive of fees!

Authentic, chassis-numbered Ruf cars built from a body in white by Ruf in Pfaffenhausen are highly valuable these days. The VIN number of a car originally built by Ruf will start with "W09" as opposed to a Porsche VIN which typically begins with "WP0."

Here is the 993-generation CTR2, the replacement to the CTR (aka Yellowbird), essentially the ultimate Ruf interpretation of the 993 and a step above the Turbo R:

16. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Without being 100% sure i believe that the specific 993 belongs to Eugenio Amos aka #MakeLanciaGreatAgain

Sterling Sackey and Boomhauer like this.
  17. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    I think it belongs to Eugenio, he has some great cars in green.

NürScud and Sterling Sackey like this.
  18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Boomhauer and Sterling Sackey like this.
  19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

22. Sterling Sackey