348 TS Carbon Rear Decklid | FerrariChat

348 TS Carbon Rear Decklid

Discussion in '348/355' started by POLO35, May 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Okay I know I'm going to get jumped on for this one but I just am looking for opinions and possibly if anyone has done it. I'm a purist and think these cars should remain 100% stock, but the painted black portion of my rear decklid is a bit tired and old looking compared to the rest of the car which is Palm Beach perfect! In lieu of having it re-sprayed, I thought about having it carbon wrapped. It's dirt cheap can be done in an hour it is completely reversible. But I'm scratching my head how this might look and was hoping maybe someone either has done it or has some sort of aftermarket carbon panel installed.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Now that you mention it I wonder why it's not car colored? I don't think they should remain stock I think owners should make them thier own.

But cf does look out of place to me even door sills. But it may look good regardless. Why not wrap it in black?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    You're right it probably should just be painted the same color as the car. Just another one of the many 348 Oddities but it's one of the things I love about the car. I'm going to try to cut and buff it one more time and if not try the carbon wrap or black. I'll post pictures if I wind up doing it.

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I seemed to have the impression that it wasn't a glossy thing...more of a satin.

...and later cars WERE painted...about the same time they painted all the lower black trim.

sjd

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Note to self paint that car color when i paint the black lowers car bolor...

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I read somewhere the matt black panel was an anti glare idea. So it should not reflect light hence the matt finish.. ...Makes sense.

7. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Yes the car is a 92 and it is the original paint and scheme. And yes the problem is not shine issue, it has some fade spots that are unsightly. Definitely going to move forward with either carbon wrap or flat low gloss black wrap. I'll post pictures when done

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Question, how's your underhood foam? Mine was perfect OEM until the car tried to endure the Florida heat, beginning about 2 years ago.

Reason I ask, if your foam needs renewal then it's best to remove the engine cover. You can have it repainted while it's off.

Btw, if you go with CF, I have a feeling you won't like it (based on your first post).

Pangea likes this.
  9. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Foam is perfect redone by the previous owner. I actually bought a roll of CF and I'm going to try it myself but I think you're right I'm not going to like it so I'm going to go ahead and start looking for just a roll of black!