Ferrari ROMA | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sr.Pininfarina

Sr.Pininfarina Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    2021 in Europe, average ratio of total of models emisions C02 can´t be superior to 95gr/km.:(

Ferrari needs a lot of hybrid or electric cars if you want to keep only a few combustions

2. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    I Agree with you T. I just bought a Portofino and in my opinion having the drop top is one of the main reasons I bought it .

Golden Steed likes this.
  3. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    The other issue is if they make cheaper versions of the Portofino you will see even more of them on the street which sucks for us that just spent $260k on ours . I hope they don’t make this move.

4. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    I've heard talk of "the new Dino" for over a decade. I think the big boys in Maranello discuss this and then say, why bother? We sell all we can build at high prices.

arizonaitalian and tomc like this.
  5. Sr.Pininfarina

Mar 3, 2006
  6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    We're already using little brother for the V6 hybrid that will replace the F8, and big brother is the V8 hybrid coming soon. Could get confusing. :)

I'm interested in this Portofino coupe. I like GT's generally, but don't like convertibles.

Daytonafan and REALZEUS like this.
  7. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    Why would it be a disadvantage ? The Cali was the most sold Ferrari model in their history . Its a coupe with the advantage of open air on those beautiful sunny days !
    I just bought a Portofino .

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Congrats and glad you like it, but don't get defensive. I like targa tops and sunroofs, but really dislike fully open convertibles. Then there is the mechanical complexity of the roof mechanism, and the fact that it takes up so much trunk space. A hardtop Portofino with a sunroof would be right up my alley. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

LucasFerrari likes this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Increased weight and decreased structural rigidity, resulting in worse dynamics.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    #35 LucasFerrari, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    That’s a fair point convertibles are a little heavier.. Personally I think Ferrari did a great job redesigning this convertible GT. I love my Portofino because it’s versatile. As a coupe with the top up in auto mode it’s quiet and comfortable, as a GT car should be. With auto off, shifting your own gears with the top down it’s a whole different experience.

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. Sr.Pininfarina

Mar 3, 2006
    In my opinion, this foto is an 812, not a "portofo coupe"...

12. Monkeyboyuk

Monkeyboyuk Rookie

Jan 1, 2017
    Ferrari are already building the V6 engine which will sit in the portofino and F8 successor, it’s in the Alpha Romeo Stelvio ! It’s a fine engine and sounds amazing, I was drag racing one a couple of weeks ago along with my 488 at VMax 200 in the UK.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The new Ferrari V6 will be different.

Albert-LP and Doug23 like this.
  14. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    Looks like the new V6 will not see the light before 2020, so the "Portofino coupè" should feature the old good V8 (with some electric motor), at least at launch.
    Our respectable sources could add some clues?

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    very much

16. Sr.Pininfarina

Mar 3, 2006
    No news?

This car will be presented in 40-50 days ¿no?...

July 2019 from @ferr9000

Doug23 likes this.
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Ferrari is a public company that sells cars, they are going to have met certain criteria if they want to keep selling cars. I may not like it anymore than most of you but the days of hybrid and electric (they are gong have to have them like everyone else) are coming sooner rather than later. 12, 8, cyl cars well I doubt in 5-7 years there will be one in the line up. Even old gearheads like me are buying a Taycan, just like manuals you just cannot stop progress, even if progress takes away the things you like most. I almost never drop the top on my T, (and I cant stand sunrooms on any vehicle), I have a gearshift convertible, much more fun.

18. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Somebody have news about this car ?

The presentation is next few weeks and no news or something

The secret in Ferrari is very strong, I’m very impressed every time to approach the date of unveiling and no news or picture

Golden Steed likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The V8 Porto is already the entry level model.

Not entirely sure who they are catering to with a Porto V6. Might as well get a Maserati V8 for the same price.

The "Dino" is the LB. Like the Dino, it's a mid engined entry level sports car.
    It will be priced lower than the current mid engined v8 cars, and the SF90 is the upscale model.

Not sure why someone would not just buy a Lusso T if they wanted a v8 4 seater coupè.
    Bigger, better and with 4 actual seats.

A Porto V6 coupè should not be in the lineup. Not enough exclusivity and Ferrari DNA to warrant that.

One gets terrifying flashbacks of the Mondial (not trying to offend anyone). But at least that thing retained a V8.

20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Where are you getting that the LB will be lower priced and/or positioned below where the 458/488/F8 model line sits today? We have been told in pretty clear terms that the BB is a step "up" model line. That does not imply the LB is a "step down". Most that have followed Ferrari's pronouncements expect the next "entry level mid-engine sports car" (the successor to the F8) to occupy the same market/price segment. Nothing from Ferrari to date has indicated lower prices for any car, in fact only the opposite. The switch from v8 to v6+electric power will not result in a total power decline, nor a lower-priced, lower-positioned car. The change in cylinder numbers is a fact of the future for all manufacturers to grapple with (not an outright attempt to go "down market"). Said simply, the "LB" is the successor to the F8.

Also - there is no "dino". That misused word has been mentioned for more than a decade as a potential down-market, lower priced car. Ferrari did not go that route, and the so-called LB is not that car. Just because a car has a v6 doesn't make it a "dino". That name (in ferrari speak) implied a cheaper car. LB will not be that car, it will not be at the Porsche-fighter-price point that most folks envisioned when they wanted a "dino" to appear.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Local dealer said it would be priced so that the current V8 basically dissapears. SF90 above and LB below. I also have a relative that has been told the very same thing. And he was told in Maranello I believe.
    Yes, the LB is the F8/Pista successor, but the whole lineup is changing and so is the way some models are priced it would seem.

We'll see. Time will tell.

As for the Dino.
    It has been tossed around as both an entry level brand as you say, but also as an entry level model. I'm very well aware of the Dino history. Today, Ferrari is quite proud of the Dino, as it's the birth place of the mid engined range we have come to love.
    I would not thing it would be far fetched for Ferrari to use this name as a tribute.

As for a front engined V6 Ferrari. No thanks. I hope they make it so overly expensive that nobody wants it.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks for the reply and the addl info. I’d be shocked if the F8 successor has a reduced price from F8. But as you say, we will know in three years...

Re using the Dino name, I think that would be great for the v6 powered F8 successor.

It’s this rumored Porto coupe, if it has a v6, that will more interesting to me in terms of pricing. Although I thought I read recently that it will be a v8 (or maybe both engines? Or maybe v6 later takes over from v8 as I expect it to in the regular Porto.)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #48 Il Co-Pilota, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    I would think that the Porto coupè will debut as a V8. It should debut as part of the quintet for this year.
    I will be truly surprised and shocked if they debut it as a measly V6. I'm sorry, I just cannot see a single positive in that. A Ferrari is not supposed to be "cheap" and with a small engine. The Porto is just keeping up with the rest of the fleet as it is - both in terms of performance and Ferrari personality. It is still the "baby Ferrari" like the Cayman is to the 911 and the Vantage is to the Vanquish.
    Making it a "cheap" V6 simply reinforces the stereotype that the Cali lineup was supposed to be a Maserati and not a real Ferrari. A V6 will hurt the Porto and it will hurt the brand.
    Yes I hate the idea with quite a passion I'm afraid. I'd much rather Ferrari did a V8 or V12 SUV than a front engined V6. It will simply never be a real Ferrari in my eyes and only an embarrassment for the prestigious marque.

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    We know for a fact that a V6 Ferrari is going to happen, whether that is going to be a Porto coupe or something else, we don't know yet. Current F1 cars use a V6 and there had been a Ferrari V6 in the past (Dino). At any rate, the V6 won't be cheap or slow, it will still be a Ferrari.

NZCREW likes this.
  25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is coming the Porto coupe, and yes there are a lot of people that just don't like convertibles (I don't like sunrooms on any car so I can understand). so they could make the coupe a little sleeker, and little lighter and with more power. More of a drivers car and then charge more for it. I guess the question is how many people don't want the Port because it is a convertible, I think the are going to have to do someone more than just a hardtop to distinguish the two cars from each other. I would not call the Cayman a baby 911, it is a very different car, with very different characteristics, nor do I call the Calf or the Porto a baby Ferrari. These cars are supposed to fit a certain type of buyer, the question is what buyer is this coupe going to fit.

NZCREW likes this.