For Sale - 1998 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta F1 | FerrariChat

For Sale 1998 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta F1

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by v1rotate, Apr 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. v1rotate

v1rotate Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Doyle
    Selling 98 F355F1 Berlinetta.
    Currently 13,106 miles, Asking $86,000
    2nd owner and was purchased from an owner in Texas after 2000 miles. It has been a California car since.
    F1 paddle shifter (hydraulically actuated manual transmission).
    All scheduled maintenance including timing belts. Always garaged, Excellent condition.
    No accidents, Non-smoker, Title in hand,
    Very clean interior. I just repaired the center console "stickies" with StickyNoMore.
    Gear indicator fails to illuminate the lower right vertical element.
    Have records. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DEPZ and Mmckee like this.
  2. v1rotate

v1rotate Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Doyle
    Does anyone have a recommendation on pricing? $75k?

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Your almost exact F1 car incl mileage is for sale at the Ferrari Southbay dealership in CA and it is priced at 79k for a reference.

The main differences is that car is also silver and is an F1 GTS and has a black interior, painted top, and oem shields. Generally today there are fewer gts for sale and they seem to be selling for more than berlinettas.

The main issue on your car is the two-tone blue interior which will take a special buyer. Most simply do not want a bright blue interior and opt for a black, tan, or very dark blue leather. So the interior on your car will by itself be the thing that causes you to wait on a sale. Not necessarily your price.

Because you asked, I would see your car selling at around $65k to $68k with the interior offset because of the lower mileage. This is of course dependent on any service needs (see below) and thoroughness on records which can be very important to a buyer.

Others opinions may vary but I have owned 3 F355 at one time and have just added another car so I am aware on what is and is not selling right now and the last several years.

You will probably want to add the date and mileage of the last engine out belt service (as this affects price), if the oem headers have been replaced yet, and the clutch life remaining as a percentage. All buyers would require this as a minimum to start to be interested. Date codes on tires? More than the center console gets sticky so buyers will also want to know if you did more than the center console (which also affects price.)

Please add answers to these and more to entice buyers to ask you more.

Robb

4. v1rotate

v1rotate Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Doyle
    HI Robb,
    Thank you very much for the helpful input. I will collect that information and post.
    -Pete

Robb likes this.
  5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Other items that will help you.

Low owners is great
    Three original alarm fobs is ideal
    Toolkit and owners books is great

Does it have the original car covers for car, seats, and steering wheel along with the bag?

Is the a/c cold and when was it’s last recharged? That will be critical to many interested in the car in warmer climates.

What exhaust muffler is on the car? Oem, or a tubi, or capristo? Those generally up the price and help a sale.

Silver cars can look cloudy or flat if they haven’t been really waxed recently or had a paint correction. I had a silver 328 so understand that some silver cars can look flat. Your car looks very tidy in all the areas. It’s a low mile car and I think most can see that in the lack of wear and tear. I’d suggest you try to show some great photos of what the car can look like in early or late light with a normal to longer lens. Show that the paint is in great shape with a deep shine.

Generally the more photos - the more interest. Not everyone has a camera other than a smart phone, but you may be able to ask a favor of a friend with a camera.

I won’t bother you any more but was trying to be helpful to your question and how you can increase interest.

Robb

6. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    #6 mathewr, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Pete,

This car is stunning. I would be interested at the right price. I will send you a PM. Robb (as always )is helpful and has asked a lot of the normal 355 questions above and I would be interested to hear about it.

Cheers, Mat

carnutdallas and Robb like this.
  7. v1rotate

v1rotate Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Doyle
    Robb, great info and I should have been more patient with my initial posting to add more content.
    The big services have been done by Ferrari.
    I have the steering wheel and car cover. The exhaust is stock. I will update the maintenance info in the AM.
    I do not recall the last time it was waxed but the paint is in great shape. I will take proper photos at high res.
    Thanks for the PM Mat. I pinged you back via email.
    -Pete

Robb likes this.
  8. v1rotate

v1rotate Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Doyle
    I have attached a summary of the work that has been done so far.

I also need to correct that it is a 1999, not a 98. The VIN plate states June of 1998 and I made the assumption that it was a 98.

My parents are the true owners. They did the timing belt back in 2013. Inspection of the belt that came off was deemed to be in great shape. So based on low utilization, original belt was in great condition and mild driving conditions, my dad did not feel it needed changing based on only Ferrari time based interval. No he is not a Ferrari engineering or accountant, but he is a mechanical and aero engineer so he felt comfortable applying his thought process and Gates advice to ascertain his risk. The $ticky part is this risk is now applied to the new owner.

Here are his notes
    There is an issue on the timing belt change. There was an article reprinted in Michael Sheehan's ferraris-online.com in Feb 2007 from Sports Car Market that says that through the 90's Ferrari recommended a belt inspection at 52,500 miles. Then they offered a "certified" program in 2002 where the cars had to have had a replacement belt within 2 1/2 years!
    He offers 5 choices. Every 9 years as Gates says
    Every 52,500 as Ferrari used to say on the 355.
    Every 5 years as people talk about today
    Every <3 years for Ferrari certified
    Or every 3 months if you want to keep your mechanic happy!
    It was done in 9/16/13 (after 14 years and the old one looked perfect to me) at 11,701 miles and in a 355 the engine has to be removed to do it. With some other stuff it was $15,925k.
    I was never able to find any data on the frequency of timing belt failure. They made 11,700 of them and I found 2 tales of breakage.

I have the original steering wheel, seat and car cover as well.

-Pete

Attached Files:

carnutdallas likes this.
  9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Beautiful looking car. If the car winds up sitting you might want to consider repairing the gear indicator. They can be fixed.

10. v1rotate

v1rotate Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Doyle
    Hi Paul, Yes, if it was me I would replace the gear indicator and send the under steering column panel to sticky no more. I drove it to work on Friday for the pics. Smooth and svelte car. People ask if it has aftermarket exhaust, but it does not. I am curious how that exhaust sounds.

PaulK likes this.
  11. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    This makes me want to buy another F355 (yours)

12. v1rotate

v1rotate Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Doyle
    Its available ;)

13. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Fantastic car! I hate the interior and F’ing love it at the same time. My wife would kill me if I bought another Ferrari. I really like the unique ones. It really is special with the blue wheel and lower dash pad. Man I dig it. Priced better than super fair. Someone needs to buy this. GLWS, I own two and would make this a 3rd for sure! Oh and your father is spot on with his service assessment. I am printing that out and sliding into my files

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F355Bob and v1rotate like this.
  14. v1rotate

v1rotate Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Peter Doyle
    All, Thank you very much for all of the excellent input. The vehicle sold to someone who appreciates the vehicle.
    Now, does any one want a 2013 continental GT ;)