575M handling packages | FerrariChat

575M handling packages

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F612, May 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    does anyone have experience or advice on upgrading the handling of a “stock” 575M?
    Would simply changing to the thicker sway bar help?

2. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    David there has been a lot written here about upgrading the Maranello suspension.
    Using the search function search FHP and or HGTC to learn more about your options. Pretty sure Taz has written on the subject in the technical thread sticky up top however no idea of the page.
    Thicker sway bars are hard to find. The HGTC bar may be still available but won’t likely be enough to achieve your goals. Some add later suspension and steering ECU’s and get results and some like myself needed to go further with either FHP or HGTC springs at all four corners included with the HGTC bar.
    Bill
    FL

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Thanks, Bill

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I have had zero luck locating FHP or HGTC sway bars. I thought I had found the latter, but no joy.

That said, you can get the steering ECU upgraded by our local Skunkworks (quite reasonable and still need to do that myself) and the FHP springs are available...for the price of "YOUCH!"

5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I’m curious David, what are you trying to solve for?

Cheers,

Ruben

6. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I would just like to tighten the handling a bit. I have a OTO 612 with the HGT2 package and it feels tighter although it is 18 inches longer and heavier.
    My 2004 575M (sn 135472, bld. 52781) is new to me and perhaps I should drive it a while without comparison?
    Thanks for any and all input.
    David

Il Tifoso likes this.
  7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Look at the 575 technical thread, you have a huge and active community there who will help.
    There is lots that can be done.
    Cheers
    Graham

8. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    WHOA DAVID!

We are close buddies. My 2004 575M preceded yours down the aisle by nine beautiful Maranellos! VIN # on mine is 135463 never came so close before. Mine was delivered new with full FHP bits. I believe the handling difference makes it worth the upgrade. Not so certain about HGT package.

9. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    OK. You asked for it:
    What's the difference between the FHP and HGT package?

10. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    sportier handling, lots more money. technically, you'll have to ask Taz

11. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Again plenty of info in the archives.
    The HGTC package encompasses more than just handling.
    With regards only to the handling differences between FHP (Fiorano Handling Package) and HGTC. The handling differences are minimal and hardly distinguishable by the average person. Having had both the HGTC is slightly more firm. I like both, the FHP is likely the sweet spot for the masses that need more.
    Bill
    FL

Themaven likes this.
  12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Bill, that’s a valuable insight from someone who has had both. I had been wondering about the real world difference between HGTC and FHP. Especially (as Taz pointed out) the rear FHP sway/roll bar is actually thicker than the HGTC one.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Affirmative, but the HGTC springs are actually slightly stiffer, offset by the 19.5 mm rear bar compared to the 23 mm one for FHP.

David- Look in the 575M technical thread, but read it backwards since we learned a lot since I started it a long time ago. Recommended order of updates:

You already have good shock absorber ECU, but your post AN 52556 575M can be fitted with an HGTC ECU. Normally the first upgrade on early 575Ms, but yours is late, so optional.
    Upgrade to the FHP steering ECU (HGTCs have the standard ECU). Cheapest is to have Maranello Skunkworks reflash your ECU.
    Stiffer HGTC rear anti-rollbar if you can find one. FHP bar has been NLA for quite a while.
    FHP or HGTC springs if you can find them.

Do one at a time and see if you are happy before going on to the next thing.

14. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    so the question is: can you still purchase any of the FHP or HGTC components? if not, the point is moot?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bell- No clue now, but that is how you change the handling with OEM parts. There is an FHP 575M being parted out at Eurospares that belonged to Darius. Chance to get all the OEM parts in one spot. Even the FHP brakes would be available.

The two ECUs mentioned are still available, so still useful information.

Do you have anything useful to add?

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ah no Taz it's not my 575 FHP gated manual that is being parted out at Eurospares. Thank goodness. Is my 550. Standard car, no FHP, but very low miles, so lots of very fresh components.
    575 is being prepped for the summer season! Would have asked for it to be ready for our May holiday now but have a Portofino to review.

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i think your out of luck all the way around. last i saw, both the FHP and HGTC springs were NLA. FHP rear sway the same.

if i was to do it over again, i'd pop for the KW3 (KV?) coil over kit

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Brain fart, I knew that. Good news is the 550 parts (except the 550 FHP shock absorber ECU, the 575M had none) are identical to the 575M ones.

19. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    while you are the 575 expert, don't have to be ****** about it. you siad you had no idea if parts are available, why not add something useful like you said.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bell- How about next time just keeping your mouth shut?

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    David, for me the FHP did make quite a difference over non FHP cars and would make your 575 more similar to your 612, although the flipside is that on bad roads, you do feel the bumps. I think the 612 with HGT2 rides better (more compliantly) than my 575, from memory the FHP is 'firmer'. As Taz and others have noted, there seem to be various ways you can make a non-FHP car handle more tightly without going to the hassle and cost of sourcing FHP.

22. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    They are two really different cars. The 612 is only 4 years newer but much more "sophisticated" than the 575. I like them both but I have decided that they are too different to compare. The OTO 612 is a forever keeper (my heirs' problem) but the 575M is a really fun daily driver in N Alabama where we have hills and curves and not too much traffic. Snow is a very rare thing-we just stay home until noon when it's almost always gone.
    I'l drive it on "sport" until I find reasonably priced parts for upgrade.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Bell, Taz has more Ferrari knowledge in his pinkie than you are likely to acquire in the next decade - and has been of greater help to F Chatters with Maranello and other Ferrari issues than any other poster of whom I'm aware. Maybe you can listen and learn a little bit before you decide to run a rude and thoughtless mouth.

24. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I have a 2003 575 that was delivered stock. Over the years I have turned it into a faux hgtc via:
    Hgtc shocks
    Hgtc spec springs
    Hgtc shock ecu
    Skunkworks steering ecu
    Hgtc sway bar

It took a long time to source some of these components and maybe longer now. I think it’s worth it. I go into a bit more detail in my mods thread (you can search my user name).

Best!

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    D- As soon as you come up with a set of CCMs, I will carry yours as an HGTC conversion. I do not think any of those kits contained the HGTC shocks and I know none had the FHP/M.S. steering ECU. Do you have a suspension fault showing with the HGTC shock ECU on a pre-52556 575M? Normally it causes one because the later steering position sensor input is missing.

Incidentally, we have complete specs on the FHP springs in the WSM. Making a set would probably be cheaper than buying one. We do not have the HGTC info.