mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 98 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I just received an email from Chevrolet about the new Vette with a teaser trailer and countdown clock. This may have already been covered, here, but it's the first note I've received from them with a video.

2. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Arguing over the performance capabilities of a 1978 Trans Am W72 vs. 1978 Corvette L82 is like arguing about who is the tallest midget. Pointless.

DIGMAN52 and Mbutner like this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    On another note, I had a 1980 z28 as a kid, fun car for kid, built like schitt. Drove a l82 vette of similar vintage for a week, there was not much in it, but then the z28 had ridiculously short gearing, motor blew at 36k miles. IMO both those from late 70s cars were regurgitated crap, poorly built, and with worse mtoors than the same bodystyles had in 1970. Put me off Gm for decades. Despite some sporadicaly excellent products since, that corporate malaise ghost still lives within Gm and still mages to f-up products.

maybe the c8 vette is different, and true we are long past the 70's/80's but I have yet to drive a new GM product that did not have questionable quality somewhere,(and I own a chevy) which always reeked of bean counters and or non car people product management.

Other manufactuers also make missteps, but usualy within a car cycle or two they rectify. GM still has lots of ghosts in the machine. Hopefully they left the vette team alone to do their thing, but I have my doubts, the only quyestrion for me is how much the coporation compromised the vette teams goals.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  4. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    I’m a Ford guy and don’t have a lot of experience with GM vehicles, but my wife drives a 2019 manual transmission Grand Sport. It’s a great car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and k wright like this.
  5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    How things have changed. Not sure there is a car sold in the US today that is that slow.

6. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    WAY off topic but as I understand there is a standing rule at GM than no car manufactured for a particular calendar year can be quicker/faster than that same year Corvette. Even the late 60's COPA Camaro's were given a slightly detuned 427 so as not to be quicker/faster that the fastest Vette. This rule was broken only once and people lost there jobs. I'm sure many know the answer (without Google) but I'll bet a few will be surprised at the answer. Guesses?

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Regal GN / GNX.

k wright and JV's89 like this.
  8. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    The 1987 GNX was faster to 60 than any Corvette, Ferrari (excluding the 288GTO), or Lamborghini of the time....

I don't think (but I don't know for certain) there was ever a rule that the Corvette was "protected". Certainly there have been plenty of top performance Camaro/Firebirds that were faster than the BASE Corvette of the same year. Since the cars were often sharing engines, it would be tough for the top performance Camaro/Firebird to be faster than the top performance Corvette simply because of size and weight advantage that Corvette had.

rdefabri likes this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    'There's only one rule...............there aren't any rules'

10. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Wasn't talking about the base cars, "so as not to be quicker/faster that the fastest Vette"

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    OK. So, as pointed out, the 1987 Buick GNX was faster than any 1987 Corvette. You say that people within GM lost their jobs because of it....that sounds like an old wives tale.

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It is an old wives tale, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

italiafan, of2worlds, jimmyb and 4 others like this.
  13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I heard a story that GM was building a mid engine corvette. Wonder what it will look like.

Phil~ and blkfxstc like this.
  14. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, my impression is that GM has all but given up in Europe with Opel gone and the current ZR model wont pass TUV as its engine is above the hood with the hood being open in the middle. Something about pedestrians coming in contact with the engine after being hit while crossing the road (crazy).

15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    It will look horrible.....just ask all the experts here that base their expert opinion on renders (aka guesses) and camouflaged cars. :rolleyes:

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    1983 Corvette?

17. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    1983 Corvette?

18. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    Didn't happen.

19. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Callaway (option B2K)?

20. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    Good call. I forgot about Callaway.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is one thing that's great about Vettes and Vette owners. People have no problem in modding them right out of the box. Lambo and Ferrari owners rarely do.

rdefabri and SAT4RE like this.
  22. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    The cool thing is that even back then, option code B2K (Callaway) was a GM option with a GM warranty. Any one could order it.

And they do mod them (Corvettes) although sometimes it makes you scratch your head (does a C7 ZR1 REALLY need more power?)

23. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
  24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    rdefabri likes this.