355 - Cam phase sensor malfunction | Page 10 | FerrariChat

355 Cam phase sensor malfunction

Discussion in '348/355' started by taz355, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Grant, Have you by any chance pulled the plugs to see if that are fouled?

3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    What I meant by load the circuit is to add a "carbon pile" or another suitable device to simulate a load to the appropriate amperage just to test the primary 12V feed. The coil pack is "known good" so including that component in the test would need a scope like you said. I just remember over the 12 yrs of my wrenching career, that those oscilloscopes used to only help us with the secondary ignition. Any time we tried to use them for testing anything else, it just sent us on a wild goose chase. (Maybe we just weren't good with using them o_O)

4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    That's certainly doable - two 55W headlight bulbs would draw about the same Amps as the ignition coil.

jjtjr likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There seems to be some panel colour grouping of controls. I'm wondering if those selections are even active with the SEARCH switch in NORMAL. Does an oscilloscope look for distinct peaks, then shift the timing automatically to show the peak around the middle of the screen? Out of NORMAL, perhaps you have to go looking for the peaks with the manual controls.

Seems that Grant is regrouping for the final assault. Place your bets on what the problem is...

Wiring (from inside the relay panel to the coilpack)
    ECU
    Shorted spark plug wires (under the cam covers)
    Replacement coil is not as good as first thought
    Some sensor not putting out a large enough signal to activate both banks, but not enough to trip the fault circuits...?

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you use a wire hooked up to the battery bus bar in the engine bay or to the white plug near the ECU?

Guys, this load testing may be unnecessary if Grant has already bypassed the wiring completely. Also, adding large loads to an unfused system, might not be a good idea. The weakest point may be a circuit board track in the fuse box ($$$).

taz355 likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #232 johnk..., May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    The problem with load testing is that it leaves the coil out of the picture. That why I suggested looking at the voltage on pin 2 with a scope and comparing bank 1 and 2.

As for what the scope does, that's what the trigger function is for. It needs to be set for what slope to trigger off of, increasing or decreasing signal and sensitivity. This signal is a little hard to lock on to because it's more step change sin signal level and, as shown in my video, it jump around.

Here is the failed bank on my 308

Qavion likes this.
  8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    He guys been mega busy at work just got home at 10 pm

I will try tomorrow again. I apolgize for the delay.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No because it seemed unlikely in 300 miles of perfect running since the major that all 4 would go.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #235 taz355, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Yes i went directly to the j7moers in the engine bay.
    I also know that the supply is supply both coils somehow because when my I told my Wife too shut down she said it ran for about a half second like there was a delay.
    I think bank 1 and 2 were getting power fromthe jumpered coil until i disconnected the jumper.
    The bad news is we may have fried something, the good news is i had all ready ordered an ecu.

When i tried it again without being jumpered everyth8ng ran as before (like chit) so likely all is good. Ha ha

All though i agree with Ian about not a great idea to jumper, but when I get pissed off common sense goes out the window. Besides how the hell are we all gonna learn new stuff without having some balls.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I like this one

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My bet is on the ecu but in all fairness Mitchell said it anout 200 posts ago and I think is fairly confident watching with the popcorn in hand ha ha

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Whats your guesses?
    My ecu and co8ls were ordered on monday and had they gone straight north from california would be here by now, but instead are in Kentucky.
    Hopefully they are not worn out since they are getting more miles that the car

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ecu is possible but rare. My bet ecu is fine. Using my finest armchair QB skills...lol

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think we've confused you. The jumpering was to bypass the car's wiring which may (or may not) be faulty. Adding load was a different procedure to load up the car's wiring to see if it could maintain voltage (The normal voltage checks which you did earlier with an voltmeter put very little load on a circuit). I thought adding extra load to the car's wiring might be risky because there is (for some reason) no fuse protection on the ignition coil supply circuit. By jumpering, you are helping to take load off the regular circuit.

I don't think you've fried anything. The most you can supply to the coilpack is 12 volts from the battery. Anyway, I hope the ECU fixes the problem, otherwise it will be an expensive lesson :p

16. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Why? Was she talking too much?

You have not fried anything. Yes, by jumping the pin 2 of one coil to +12V, the pin 2 of the other coil also gets this "fresh" supply. It was nothing to worry about that the engine ran-on for a second or so after the ignition switch-off. This was due to the fact that, after the ignition was off, there was still +12V supply to the pins 2 of the coils which made them continue producing spark for a while. Normally, this supply is cut-off the moment you turn the ignition off so there is no run-on.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #242 johnk..., May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    No spark = ECU, primary side wiring, coil, high tension leads, plugs. Nothing else in there. ECU "seems" to test ok. But only pin 1 was checked. Primary side wiring seems ok. Moving on..... Did you wash the car and get water in the plug wells?

Wait. Did you install the GCK? :D

And if after everything is checked there is still a problem, I know a nice steep boat ramp down by the lake you can check out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Grant, while you're waiting for your ECU to arrive, I'm just curious what wire colours you have on pins 8 and 9 of the 9 pin plug. I have three diagrams with three different colours and my car resembles none of them. On my pin 9 there is a grey-ish wire with two black lines on it. It's a brand new harness.

Note that the wire colours are different on one side of the plug (I just need the colours on the side which doesn't have 3 black wires).

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Ok. Again late night so hopefully tomorrow

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No washing
    Seems odd all 4 would short out at once
    Gold connector kit check, ha ha
    Will check other one before ecu gets here
    Also need to check the wires and coil for resistance

Possible the presumeably good coil and the existing are both pooched but figure that was just as unlikely as the ecu

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If it's not the power source, next "single failure" item would be the coil primary. Impedance between pins 1 and 3 about an ohm or so, between 1-2 or 2-3 about 1/2that. I hesitate to say ECU, though it could be, because for it to fail on one bank it would have to be designed as a 2x4 system rather that a 1x8.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Seems you've had similar problems before, Grant... 3 years ago

Pangea likes this.
  23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes i did it was the first thing i looked at. That was on bank 2 i believe.
    This was why i had spare coils.

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This s why i have been unproductive on the 355 front. Sorry for the delay but had to build my daughter a shed.
    It was wayharder than an engine out as far as i am concerned

Should get back to it this weekend comming

emac, WATSON and Qavion like this.
  25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Come on. Shed for your daughter? And you're daughters name is Sweet 355? And the shed is full of spare parts. ;)

taz355 and Qavion like this.