355 - Replacement slow down cat ECU prototype | FerrariChat

355 Replacement slow down cat ECU prototype

Discussion in '348/355' started by wbt, May 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    A project I have been working on this year is getting close to the finish line. I have been designing a replacement for the common slow down light problem caused by unreliable vescovini catalyst ECU / CCU (ferrari parts 179278 173533 or 160454 ). Intermittent slow down lights, bank shutdown... common problems repeated over and over on this forum.

My design has finished prototype bench testing design, and new version 2 shown in photos below, about to be potted with epoxy resin and head out for some real world testing over the next few weeks in a 360 and 355. I have also got bench results from a thermocouple simulator showing output against the factory item which is a very close match to the factory spec. Next steps EMC electrical noise immunity testing and some real world application to ensure reliability.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider, Julia, ernie and 4 others like this.
  2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    This is great news, GothSpeed produced a similar thing, I run a pair on my 355, but they seem to be no longer available.
    Look forward to the results, good luck
    Mark

3. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Awesome!!

I have been involved in this arena for a few years now and your posts on this have been very astute. I would expect a well done product.

I’d be happy to beta test for you. Let me know. My car is a SDECU lab with outputs tapped with leads in the cockpit already from all three locations.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Dr Bob would be a great beta tester.

ernie and SoCal1 like this.
  5. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Would these be compatible with 348?

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Amazing. Looks like you've put a lot of effort and expense into this project.

Would the heat from the chemical reaction of so much epoxy affect the components?
    What are the main functions of the epoxy? Waterproofing? Insulation? Reinforcing the plugs or just an easy solution for a backing?

If epoxy insulates, it that a bad thing for some components due to heating issues?

Adding epoxy just seems to make the units hard to repair.

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yuuup he's the slow down light dude for sure

8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    No, the 348's SDECU has very different outputs.

9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The kind of heat generated by the epoxy during setting is nothing to be concerned about, way below the heat that the components are exposed to during soldering - about 200 C. For example, the whole BGA chips (chips attached to the PC board by solder balls) are heated to some 230 C during soldering.

As for the repairs, I agree with you. I much prefer "black boxes" that you can open and access a clean PC board.

ernie likes this.
  10. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    The main purpose of the epoxy is environmental protection - mainly from water and dust. It also makes a nice mechanical housing for relatively low cost which can be drillled and threaded if needed.

These things live in an engine bay that cycles from super hot to super cold, driven over rain soaked roads, bathed in steam from time to time and endure fairly nasty temperature cycles over their life. The Ferrari OEM part gets a bad rep for failing but it's understandable that they fail. The real crime is the replacement cost which they are obviously treating as a very nice high margin revenue stream. Yes the epoxy makes them impossible to repair but my unit makes them basically a maintenance service cost (I will get final costs together soon - seems there's a lot of demand!). I might even setup a simple web portal for ordering.

audi_328, Pangea and Qavion like this.
  11. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Not a direct fit for 348 due to different outputs, but it's not a world away. The hard bit has been done with the front end circuit doing the thermocouple instrumentation, so it's a fairly straightforward bit of analog electronic design for me to imitate the 348 "back end" of the circuit to simulate the output. Unfortunately I do not have access to a 348 for testing so that gets a bit hard. I also understand there are several different versions for 348. If anyone has measured the 348 cat ecu specs and can post a summary I can certainly create a replacement option. Same goes for 328, F40, TR etc etc, anything with the cat thermocouple. Donations of old replaced cat ECU's appreciated!

Pangea likes this.
  12. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Unlike the 355 SDECU which sends a variable voltage, i.e. 0.5 V while the Thermocouple voltage is below 5 mV and 100 times the Thermocouple voltage thereafter, to the ECU, the 348 SDECU does not send any variable voltage to the ECU but processes it by itself. After the amplifier of the Thermocouple signal (which may be similar to that in the 355 SDECU), it has circuitry that triggers at least one relay that I could hear. Maybe there are two relays inside but I do not know exactly as I was unable to expose the internals (would have been easy had they not been epoxied). Anyhow, during bench testing (and reading some info in the manual), I have observed/concluded the following:

1. At ignition "on", a relay inside is activated for ~ 1 sec. and sends a pulse of +12V to the ECU (see the diagram below showing to which ECU pin) and to the SDL (for the bulb test). This brief pulse to the ECU tells the ECU that the SDECU is functional. If no pulse, the ECU will generate a fault code. However, in the case of my UK spec non-cat engine, the fault code does not effect the running of the engine in any way, it just sits in the ECU. Also, if the SDECU is completely disconnected, there is no effect on the engine running.

2. No signals are sent out until the Thermocouple voltage reaches the first warning temperature, same voltage as in the case of the 355, I guess (see the temperature graphs below; I do not know whether they are for the 348, 355 or both).

3. When the Thermocouple temp. reaches the warning point, the SDECU starts flashing the SDL.

4. When the Thermocouple temp. reaches the critical point, the SDECU switches the SDL permanently on and switches a permanent +12V to the relevant ECU pin which shuts the bank down.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    One item to add the excellent write up from Miro is his info applies to the 2.7 ECU. The 2.5 ECU on the '89 cars functions somewhat different. The main thing is it will flash then go solid with the light but not shut the bank down.

14. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    This functionality is easily replicated :) I shall put it on my list to do once the 355/360 version is 100%. I assume this applies to TCU number 142581? The 6 pin connector for that beast is now obsolete, so the only real option to replace these ECU's is with quick connect splices (ugly, but not the end of the world but I need to know the loom colours in detail to mimic and give good installation instructions). Can you explain what line "+12v from relay D" does? Is this an ignition signal?

Has anyone documented functionality of the other 348 TCU part number 141037? Those connectors are still freely available so very easy to re-create this part too.

15. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The info I provided is for the SDECU with a 6-Pin (3+3 connector, I couldn't find it anywhere). You can use a beautiful AMP Superseal 6-Way connector:

The "+12v from relay D" is just another ignition switched supply. For some reason, this SDECU has two ignition switched supplies and two grounds. I suspect the later 141037 is the same as 142581 except that the 6-pin connector has been rationalised to a 4-pin connector (+12V, Gnd, SDL and ECU) by merging the two +12V supplies and the two grounds inside the unit. So, instead of a wide 6-way AMP connector, a 4-Way can be used (it would require just connecting the two +12V and the two grounds to one pin at the loom side).

I have actually adapted two 355 SDECUs for use on my 348 by addition of a volt sensing circuit/relay and a flasher. The volt sensing relay is programmable so I have set it to 3.6 volts (instead of 3.7, a bit earlier warning) and it will only flash the SDL but not shut down the bank. I did not replicate the 1 sec. pulse on start-up since my engine is not affected by the fault code. I could have added a one time 1 sec. on-off circuit but I did not want to risk bank shut down if something goes wrong with this circuit and it goes on but not off. the good thing about my installation is that I can see the the voltage (= exhaust temperature) on the displays of the volt sensing relays. Some pics:

Flasher (the black cube) placed next to the volt sensing circuitry:

Thermocouple heated with a torch:

Ignition "on":

I can see the displays through the bonnet:

Qavion, Wade, boxcarracer and 3 others like this.
  16. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    NOT on MY car! ;)

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    This is great news for the community. Thanks for your effort.

18. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Received wbt prototype sdecu today!! It looks great and am installing it now and will report back

wbt, Skippr1999 and Pangea like this.
  19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I have a SDL that I can't track down as of yet.

I have bench tested all of my cat ecu's thermocouples and they bench test fine.

I'd love to test these as well. Hell what's the costs to ship I'll pay just to test them after DR BoB.

20. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    In my opinion, the best way to determine what the issue is is to tap the outputs of the sdecu and drive around with a dvom and observe real time what is going on.

I’ve been involved with these things for awhile now and if you do the above you will have objective info instantly to act upon.

In my case it was a faulty TC (thermocouple) that bench tested fine but installed in the car would create voltage spikes triggering sdl. I have a video of the dvom showing the spikes I could post.

Ultimately you will need known working or new components to overcome the issue as there is no repair process per se unless of course there is a wiring problem. But with three locations and six components and watching a dash light and waiting for the start up to full heat cycle and in the BP valve location, the opening of the valve, it is just a crap shoot without doing as I said above.

21. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Amazing. Any plans on making these?

22. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'd take one or a set once these are in production.

23. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Bob,
    Post your video. Sounds very interesting and educational.

24. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

Skipp,

You made me go hunt for it.

You can see the random spikes in the SDECU output at idle. This was the right cat location. OEM SDECU and TC.

Hopefully anyone with a sdecu issue they can’t solve will see this. Both the sdecu and the TC bench tested fine.

This is where a lot of unknown sdl come from. Bad TC in this case.

If you look at the graph wbt posted above you will see that on cold start the output is .5v and will usually max out around 2.8-3v under normal conditions. When outputs over 3.5 are seen by motronics it triggers sdl and some combination of higher of repeated triggers bank shutdown.

Qavion likes this.
  25. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Not really. "wbt" will most probably make the 348 SDECUs (as one piece) soon as he has already made the 355 SDECUs to which he will just need to add a simple small circuit for different output signals (and different connectors) and it will be good for the 348.