308 regional differences | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 regional differences

Discussion in '308/328' started by redferrarispyder, May 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Very very interesting, I will update the website about these market export standard differences.

Me, don't hesitate to send feedback if you see an error, a mistake or a typo report. We are several to check and cross the sources but sometimes, an error can slip.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It isn't a your mistake mistake - wait was this the site we talked about a few years ago (and was that you?) I had forgotten about this until just now. I'll start helping you filling what I have like I promised

3. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    yes it is!
    That would be great if you can add some datas. We shared what we have with Dave about US market but every input is kindly welcome.
    There is my direct mail on the top of any page if you don't want to use F-Chat PM.

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Fascinating thread. I too, did not know the subtleties of the AUS market cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The one that jumped out at me was one that was painted a different color than original. You have it listed as it is now which is fine but maybe there needs to be a note column about big changes etc. One I know is totaled so list it as red/tan etc but 'totaled" in the note section. The other may say "originally yellow/black" or something similar.

Just a suggestion

6. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Combinaison colours is what we can see when we enter the car in the database. If we know that it is not the original colour, it is written: "orig.XXX" (like originally). If the colour changed but we are not sure which is the original colour, it is written "prev.XXX" (like previously). We have a lot of cars in this situation.
    If you want me to correct datas, you just have to send me serial and comments, that take 1 minute to do it :)

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'll be happy to. I had forgotten all about this

8. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #33 QV308, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Australia was indeed a unique market regarding its own vehicle approval regulations. I would speculate that the delay in the certification of Australian compliance approval for the 308 GTSi Quattrovalvole was related to the process of meeting a new ADR regulation: ADR 27C - Vehicle Emission Control (July 1983), plus the likelihood that there were still a good number of unsold 2V injected cars around (the early 80's were economically difficult times in Australia).

Regarding the steering wheel fitted to Australian delivered 2V cars, I have only ever seen the standard Nardi 3 spoke wheel (black anodized finish) fitted to all the cars I saw in Melbourne and Sydney over many years from the 80's onward, but I do not doubt that an older Momo carb 308 steering wheel might have sneaked in on a few early 2V injected cars too.

I checked back on some local info I had from 1993 and chassis # 50545 was indeed listed as a 308 GTSi 2V 1984 delivery.

9. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #34 QV308, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    I had recorded a total of 6 Australian delivered 308 GTBi's - definitely a rare beast !

Found a couple of photos I took of that same silver 308 GTBi at the Ferrari club concours in Melbourne back in 2002.

It was fitted with a set of aftermarket wheel rims (I think these may be locally produced Simmons wheels), which was not uncommon on 308's in Australia in the 90's / 00's.

Attached Files:

Rosey likes this.
  10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    My Euro is also Rosso/cream but w/ red carpets.
    What really caught my eye ( besides the pricing ) was the rear deck lid looks like it’s off the 328? This also has a 2 valve? Differences in the Australian cars..

12. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Hi QV308

I think your right about that.

I still don't understand why Australian spec 308's didn't have a heated rear window demister on either the 2vi or QV cars though.

Fairly certain it was an ADR requirement at the time IIRC?

Grim

13. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014

QV308 your spot on. The wheels are local Simmons.

I saw the car recently whilst visiting down under and it is much the same as your 2002 picture except for the wheels and the aftermarket Vitaloni Tornado mirror that has been fitted to the passenger side.

Grim

QV308 likes this.
  14. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Grim

Yes there was a specific ADR regarding demisting of windscreens (ADR 15), but not for demisting of the rear window.

Given the relatively warm climate in most of Australia, I assume that the rear window demister was not considered necessary by the importers.

Cheers.

15. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Post number 3 says "no quattrovalve badging". How can it be labeled as a QV? Are we all missing the meaning of "QV" means 4-valves per cylinder...........It is most likely a VERY late production 2V but then again we've seen stranger things.