Stealerships | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Stealerships

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Chizz, May 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I just threw up on my tablet!

You are expecting Honor from a dealership?

Julie... You gotta read this. Someone just bought a Ferrari and they are expecting to be treated with Honor by their dealership. Poor poor guy.

2. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Lol Guilty as charged. Please send me the invoice for your tablet

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I bought my 488 from Ferrari of Tampa and I had a great experience.

Chizz likes this.
  4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I don’t know, maybe I’ve been lucky or just got scammed really good but I’ve never felt cheated on any car purchase though I avoid all no haggle price dealerships (used). There is usually always room to haggle, the percentage seems to vary depending on several factors but at the end of the day I want a good deal and I want the dealer to make some money. I’ve also built some strong relationships with a few dealers and one dealership in particular have become not really friends with but well aquatinted with the owner. Not saying all dealerships are trustworthy and I’ll never offer anything in trade ever again but I guess usually I know what I’m willing to pay before I commit to anything. I tend to not dwell on if I could have gotten a better deal or not and admittedly there have been times I certainly could have. I suppose it’s all in what your willing to accept and live with since admittedly when you worry you tend to suffer more and longer then you probably would otherwise and I dont know about the rest of you but I could always live with a bit less to worry about in life.

Chizz likes this.
  5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Chizz, don’t expect too much from people and it will help ease the disappointment in them. As a surgeon myself I understand your frustration when dealing with people who lack passion for their work and integrity for that matter. We are living in a world where mediocrity appears to be the norm. Unfortunately when we tell patients something we have to deliver. Most don’t worry about living up to that standard as they don’t have legal bottom feeders circling in the water :) Having said that welcome to and get used to the world of exotic car buying. It just comes with the territory. Drive your car in good health!

BOKE and Chizz like this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #56 ShineKen, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Transport rates are not exact. It depends on how soon you need it, the weather, who's available, etcc.. If the dealer quoted a price, he's padding a profit to protect himself. If he quotes too low, he can risk losing money. He offered to do the leg work for a price and you accepted that. That's integrity. At the end of the day, if you didn't like the price, you can always spend the time to shop rates. Now it's a matter of how much your time is worth.

Chizz likes this.
  7. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    What does any of this have to with being a surgeon? Are you saying you are in the only profession you hat has passion for their work or intergrty for that matter? Do you really believe you're the only ones looking to be sued for any misstep?

Tarek307 and Jaguar36 like this.
  8. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    No that’s not what he was saying. He was just talking colleague to colleague and he was exactly correct. That post was meant for a medical professional with a frame of reference for what he was talking about and I totally get it and agree with his perspective. And he also understood where I was coming from as so many have not.

BOKE and Avia11 like this.
  9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Has nothing to do with being a surgeon. Sorry if I offended you but I was responding to the OPs post concerning same. And I didn’t say we were the only profession that has passion or integrity. I said it was frustrating dealing with people that don’t have that regard for what they do for a living. It wasn’t a blanket statement and again I apologize if it appeared that way.

BOKE, Avia11 and Chizz like this.
  10. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    This..... as I have known doctors without passion and integrity as well.

BOKE and Graz like this.
  11. colombo2cam

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thank you for the clarification!

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    As usual there are always 2 sides to any story..we heard one ,just saying.

You should try buying a boat!

LARRYH likes this.
  13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    400 bucks on transport? This is what makes a "stealership? That a broker made $400 on shipping...

And how many people get blindsided by medical bills?

14. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss

I was in the automobile industry for 21 years. In my experience the customers that we're the most pissed but ended up buying the car got the best deals. So I'd say in the end you probably got a really good deal. Also a good deal is just a matter of perception. Enjoy your car and be happy.

flat_plane_eddie and Fireman1291 like this.
  15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Chizz, and fellow surgeons, I am not remotely a surgeon (I work in the media) but I come from a medical family with surgeons around, and I’m also a multiple Ferrari owner (four currently) and I completely see where you are coming from, in a way. You work in a job where a lot of the time, every day, you are presented with multiple decisions that could result in the death or serious injury of your patient. In many cases, the patient is neither grateful nor actually pays you. My surgeon relatives/friends care deeply about their patients and it sometimes takes them a whole evening and a bottle of Cabernet to come down from their days. And to relate to ordinary problems, and to their families. In that sense it’s like few other jobs. Sure, a pilot could kill people, so could any of us driving down the road, but we are not making continual 50/50 decisions that could result in life or death.

Then on a day off you have a guy whose job it is to make more money out of you than you expected and you’re annoyed and that’s understandable.

However, from the perspective of a person in business, I don’t think you were ripped off at all. If a client asks us to deliver a consignment of magazines, say, and the transporter price to me is 600, I will without a blink bill for 900. My time, my staff time, profit, and a kind of insurance , because some deliveries go wrong and take many days of time to set right,and we don’t charge that client any more, so we build that in. And profit margin is a small part of this, and the cash margin on your delivery is small. 400 dollars doesn’t buy many people much. On a a 60000 delivery I would charge a smaller percentage margin, but a bigger cash margin. And I would be happy to be transparent with my clients about this.

So, I can see why you were annoyed. But you didn’t get ripped off and you didn’t get stolen from. Enjoy your Ferrari!

16. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I really like your response. But please everyone hear me out and let me make this as clear as I can.... what made me upset was I was not informed. I was led to believe that the dealership was setting up the shipping Gratis. ( lol what a joke right?). Only to find out incidentally they squeezed a little more juice from the deal. I was perfectly willing to arrange my own shipping but was told not to worry about it. And Now I know why. A broker was never mentioned. My salesman said he was doing it directly.
    My old residency director always told us to be upfront with our patients about everything subsequently they would be more comfortable with adverse outcomes and more appreciative of your honesty. All I’m saying is be upfront and clear with your customers. Whether it is a dollar or a million dollars they are the customers and they earned them. Let them decide if it is reasonable or not. Stop equating this with medicine because it is not comparable.

anunakki likes this.
  17. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Bro, I am happy I’m actually ecstatic. I got a decent deal. I was just sharing my experience. That’s all. Life is good

18. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    I can’t freaking believe this discussion is still going on. Over the years I’ve bought a ton of cars (BMW’s, Aston’s, Porsche’s), boats, and motorcycles. I always buy new and I always enjoy the experience. If I was going to get as worked up as Chizz over a car purchase I’d figure out something else to do with my money. You’re buying a Ferrari for God’s sake, enjoy it.

19. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Are you kidding me? No doctor alive “blindsides” his patients. The system from insurance coverage to pharmaceuticals is where the shock comes in. We are here to take care of people. A lot is out of our control. We don’t manipulate the system for our gain. That is malpractice and highly unethical. No doc would last long trying to scam people.

20. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Dude give me a break! I have spent half my time defending myself and my profession. I have bought a ton of cars over the years and they have been mostly great experiences. I’m not a lunatic. I will NEVER post anything like this again trust me.

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Never said any doctor was trying to scam anyone...

but I also haven't seen anyone give menu pricing for treatments either for cost comparisons.

I went into the ER once... they took my blood pressure and temp... I have BCBS... i paid my deductible and got my portion of the bills... it was 3k. My portion.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  22. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I completely understand. And believe it or not the doc had nothing to do with that. A bunch of MBAs control those costs.

23. colombo2cam

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    After all of this let's see some photos of your new ride. That way we can all send accolades your way.

AD211 and Chizz like this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #74 ShineKen, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    About a month ago I was shopping for car transport quotes. If you actually went through this whole process and see for yourself the various quotes you get, you'll understand why they quoted $400 more. You'll also understand they probably didn't know they quoted $400 more until they actually got a quote, which takes some time. If you ask them how much shipping is on the spot, they have a rough idea, not exact, but they want to give you a response right away just to get things going and finalize things. Realistically, they probably figured a $200-$400 profit for their time. If anything went wrong, they would make the calls and do the leg work.

So in the mind of whoever quoted, he was probably guessing $600-800 based on distance. He quotes $1000 just be sure. You agree. He shops for quotes and gets $600, but he'll ship your car whether the price was $800, 900, or $1000, or $1200. The agreement was made. Hands shaken. Fair deal. No steal here.

The shipping quotes I received varied from $800-$1200. The more expensive, the faster they would pick-up and the faster they would deliver. So if I was in the dealer's shoes quoting myself, depending on how picky, care-free the customer is etc... I'd pick a number. If I seemed like a customer who wants things now, prompt, and would complain if something went wrong, I would quote $1400 just to give myself some pad room just in case shipping was $1200.

25. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta