Pressing drive gear 348 | FerrariChat

Pressing drive gear 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348steve, May 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    Getting the drive gear out was fun, as you can see from the picture below. No problem.

Just about to place it back.

I'm open to hearing others experiences getting them back on.

Thanks in advance!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    mine just slipped back into place (but I had a new block side bearing)...use some scotchbrite or emory (in a lathe) to remove the galling.

sjd

3. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

I am also just about to put this gear back in place.

I think after having put the bearing into the block the gear will just slip easily.

IIRC 348steve you already replaced all of this but you had a bearing noise after that.
    Have you found anything that could explain this noise?

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I gently tapped it back in with a hammer.

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What about a block of wood on it and gently tap with a hammer (as Ernie did)

ernie likes this.
  6. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    OK I'll give it a go.

7. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Let us know how you make out

8. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    So I just tapped it in. It took a couple of "gentle" minutes.

Using wood doesn't work well as it is too absorbent. It appears to want short sharp shocks to move.

I used a hammer and found the best ones are the bigger ones, you just use them gingerly.

I'm guessing it is all the way in from our detailed pictures, I hope i'm right! I was not about to hit it any harder as I didn't like the process to be honest. I hate the concept of banging against a ball bearing like that! I'll be able to tell for sure when the cover goes on.

Thanks for the advice!

ernie likes this.
  9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Right on. Thanks for the update.

10. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    It still pains me to think about the tapping process. Just how far can you go before you hurt the bearing? I wonder what they do in the factory, I image then have an elaborate bespoke press.

12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Harbor Freight sells a bearing press kit. It doesn't bother me the way I did it because most of the tapping I did was on the outer race.

13. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If it bothers you that much then simply buy the proper tools to do the job or take to Ferrari to get it done.

14. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    Ah, I see we are on a separate discussion of sorts. You are referring to the block side bearing, that as you say was no problem inserting because you are on the outer race. I am referring to the process of inserting the gear shaft into that bearing. In effect, whether you press or tap, this action results in a force on the inner race. Here is a picture before it came out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G

What kind of noise did he hear?

16. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G

Oops, sorry. "IIRC" means (If I Recall Correctly) , you were asking me a question! LoL . You have a very good memory!

Yes I did have a noise in the engine on startup before I started this tear down. I described it as a rough, maybe bearing noise, that would settle out abruptly a few seconds after start, basically disappear. It always reminded me of a priming pump and how it vibrates prior to being full and finally pumping.

So ... my answer to your question is NO. I have not found anything that looked bad in my engine at all. In fact this engine is in amazing shape, all bearings appeared perfect, the water pump included. The belt was perfect, o-rings all perfect, no leaks, etc etc.

The reason for our complete upper tear down was a 15% leak down between #4 and 5, accompanied by the audible evidence of sharing as well. Basically the head gasket. I also took on the project because I find it fun, and I believe the work we are doing on this car goes way beyond anything you can get at a dealer or shop, unless you were willing to pay way more than you can imagine. We are documenting the build in detail and will be including virtually the whole journey in a package when we sell the car in a couple of years.

As for the noise .... Lets see if its still there when we start it up, we will then be able to decide on what's next.

Thanks for asking!