F8 - Performante to F8? | FerrariChat

F8 Performante to F8?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 737Drvr, May 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    Hello Everyone,
    As you can see by my post count, I'm more of a lurker. I currently have a '18 Performante. Love the car! However, the F8 has my attention. While I would love a Pista, that is obviously not in the cards right now. I've never owned a Ferrari but my local dealer in the Phoenix area has offered me a buildable allocation for a F8. This was a surprise as normally I thought you had to have owned a Ferrari prior to receive a new allocation.

I'm looking to you folks who have owned multiple brands (paging SoCal to AZ) about your input jumping from Lambo to Ferrari. A little info about me may be helpful. I am lucky enough to own two cars at a time and really do respect all brands and what they offer--Ferrari of course, Porsche GT cars come to mind, AMG, and I'm a bit biased towards McLaren as I have a 600LT. I like them all. I tend to lean towards track oriented cars but rarely track them. I just enjoy driving these cars--weekend drives with others, C&C, meet up with friends, etc.

The reasons I'm looking at moving into a F8 are: 1) the looks. I think Ferrari has done a really nice job with this car. I really like all angles of the car. Looks are subjective but I like the front and rear of the car better than the 488 (no offense to 488 owners). I like the Pista better but again not in my league. 2) the power train. It's great to see Ferrari stepping up to compete with the 720 on a power basis. They're both great cars but would like to mix the brands up in the garage. Performance should be close. On this subject, this is where Lamborghini is falling behind. I love the V10--it's a great engine and sounds amazing. But there's no denying the Huracan is trailing the pack in performance vs the F8, 720. I wouldn't even put my Performante up against the 600LT on a roll race. The Mac would walk. 3) the mystique of the Ferrari brand. I've never had one. Maybe it's time to give the Prancing Horse a try. I'm pretty loyal to Lambo but really like the direction Ferrari has taken their V8 cars.

So, what do you all think? Is it worth the move to a F8? Is it more lateral from Performante to F8? I'd appreciate any input! The dealer here has been great. No pressure and I think they would do right by me on the Performante as we don't have too many running around here. Thanks again fellow enthusiasts!

SoCal to az and IPO1 like this.
  2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Great to see another enthusiast who is NOT brand loyal. I've owned Ferrari, Lambo and Mac (720s), etc, etc. In your case having a 600LT I think it would be fun to have a F8 in the stable. SoCal is also not brand loyal and will pipe in with his own comments.

Grab the F8 and when 7XXLT comes out reassess (as I have a feeling it will kill F8). You may love F8 and stick to it.

Hard to go wrong with any of your choices and I certainly can see attraction to F8.

Good luck with hunt.

tekaefixe and SoCal to az like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    There’s a reason the Perf held the Ring record.

But buy what you want.

I like the F8 looks. I think it will sound bad though. Imagine the 720 will still outperform it.

Maybe get the BB?

Motorwerks likes this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you've been offered a slot take it - you'll probably not get delivery for at least a year (Q3/20) at which point there will be other opinions (eg road tests & other owners) about the F8 which may sway you whether to stick or twist (as well as the 540/570/600 replacement to look forward to)

And if you've never owned let alone specced a new Ferrari this seems like a great opportunity

LARRYH and dmark1 like this.
  5. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I had the Perfomante and I loved it. Now I have a 488 spider and won't buy the F8 cause, to my eyes, is too similar to 488.

That being said if you are willing to change car F8 could be a good choice ;)

dmark1 likes this.
  6. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Are you on the list for an allocation or offered an allocation? Getting an allocation offer this soon Is difficult-particularly in South Florida. I would go for it under your circumstances and pay the deposit. Your deposit is refundable until such time the order is actually placed.

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My dealer has confirmed that 35% of allocations for the F8 have been mandated by Ferrari to be given to first time buyers.

Manda racing, Robb, Clembo and 2 others like this.
  8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    So 65% for previous Ferrari owners - weren't these supposed to be more ambitious ? :D

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I moved from the HP to the Speciale which seems more like a lateral move, NA to NA. Never looked back. The Speciale emotes with its F1 sound, light nimble steering and playfulness.
    No doubt the F8 will have better performance, but wonder about feel and sound.
    I like Lambo’s and will keep my MurcieSV, but I was disappointed a bit with the depreciation of the HP. The Ferrari marque is amazing but silly games to get into the latest and greatest, whereas Lambo and Mac, no problem.
    Good to have choices!

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Great choices, you might want to try a 488 now to get a feel for the platform and an idea of the starting point. Obviously the testers aren't here yet but you can picture what it's like with 50hp more and updated aero and electronics.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    That’s exactly what I did. I revisited the 488 a couple of weeks ago after owning a Performante. Logic was if the 488 is satisfying then the F8 would elevate the thrill factor even further.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Was it?

13. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I'm actually keeping my HP and trading my 488 for the F8. I just can't get rid of my HP, love it too much and my guts telling me it could be last NA V10 from Lamborghini seeing how Lamborghini will be under Porsche control next year and the Audi is looking to scrap the R8 for a full electric supercar.

Motorwerks and Coincid like this.
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Are there any HP owners who don't have the optional 'dynamic steering' on their car? Is there a noticeable difference with or without that steering option? It seems the dynamic steering will become standard due to RWS on the replacement Huracan EVO series...

Ash Patel likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you like more track oriented cars, F8 is not better at that than the HP.

I believe the power and speed of the F8 will be better than the HP but I’m just guessing on pure reported numbers here.

To me the F8 looks to have a short run. Some folks here are saying a 2 year run. Last non hybrid V8 Ferrari. Is that worth anything? Maybe.

However- I do believe the F8 will suffer normal deprecation so if it was me, I’d enjoy the performante for a bit longer and wait till end of next year to get an F8. Ofcourse if you didn’t have the Perf, executing the F8 allocation makes a lot of sense.

Again- as I’ve repeatedly said- there is not wrong choice here. Lots of great cars to choose from. Sorry I don’t have a better answer for you but lots of more knowledgeable members than me here hopefully can chime in and help with your decision.

Motorwerks likes this.
  16. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Life is short . So many good cars out there now . It seems to be a waste just to stick with one marque . Dabble around with different Marques .

Only problem is that they are all coming out with new cars at a rapid pace . By the time you get an ordered car then another car by someone else has come out that seems more desirable .

F8 will be much faster in a straight line then a 600 Lt or performante for sure

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The EVO will be the last NA Lamborghini. By 2022-23 , all models will be hybrids.

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Still N/A though.

19. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I have a friend willing to let me drive his 488. I think I'll drive both it and the Performante back to back and that will help with the process. Hope to try it in the next week or so. I'm just intrigued by trying another marque--especially one with such a rich history.

20. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Good idea. Look forward to Performante incoming shot ;)

Boomhauer and dustman like this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Driving mine thru a BigSur this year. Can’t wait.

09Scuderia likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Yes with electrified augmentation.

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Best of both worlds I would say.

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I believe so.

25. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Slightly off topic but...there's a lot of internal issues going on with VW/Lamborghini atm. Like I said Porsche is taking over next year and they wanted to scrap the replacement Aventador and completely redesign it and replace the V12 with a V8 but because the replacement is so deep in development Porsche has no choice but to keep it.

That been said, Porsche will have more say when it comes to the Huracan replacement and there's no way they will keep the V10 alive. Audi is pulling the plug on the V10 once the R8 is done and the bean counters won't give R&D money to Lamborghini to keep the V10 alive. Interesting times ahead for Lamborghini but unfortunately they'll never compete with the likes of Ferrari because all the decisions are made by the German suits and there's only so much money they'll throw at the brand.

SoCal to az and of2worlds like this.