fusebox circuit board advice | FerrariChat

fusebox circuit board advice

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, May 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am in the process of bringing my 512tr and 512bbi from temperate europe to blazing houston, and have been thinking about the various things that might need to be adjusted.

i have read a lot about the fusebox and circuit boards being vulnerable on these models in hot weather.
    what is the latest best fix for these vulnerable parts?

is there somebody who makes them out of teflon etc?

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Not that I know of Ross …

Newman upgrade prevents boards from blowing , do that imo :)

3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Fwiw the fuel relays were removed from the original board and located remotely on my fuse panel, work done by previous owner’s service shop.

Well, during my recent major we uncovered there was a reason why my car was having issues. My fuel pumps (original) were in terrible condition, drawing a large amount of current, and in need of replacement.

Everyone is so quick to replace their fuse board, and I understand why and will eventually do it as well (albeit with the GT Carparts board). But its worth evaluating the condition of the primary problematic excessive current drawers: fuel pumps, radiator fans, etc. In reality these parts may be the root cause of certain issues that a new fuse board will simply cover up.

4. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    lots of ferraris in Florida and Texas, they wont melt; although as you know the AC on the older cars.....

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Keep the A/C R-12 if you can!

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  6. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Worth trying Dave Helms at SRI

scuderia rampante dot com/sri-fuse-boxes/

I had my 512TR & F40 done a while back through him and are very good. The mods are non-OEM but can be neatly hidden behind the board itself. I know there were some issues with RHD 512TRs but he may have long solved those by now.

7. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I actually pulled the Dave Helms unit out of mine and replaced it with the GT Parts board. (No affiliation). See the recent thread ‘83958 Major - 2016 - Fuse Board’ for more.

xplodee likes this.
  8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  9. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    As for the BBi, I would replace the factory fuse blocks with the Birdman blocks. Yes you'll lose authenticity, but the BM blocks work great and offer a lot of advantages. And, they're easy to install.

I don't own a TR but from what I understand, there are high load items on the printed fuse/circuit boards. These items use the thin strip copper on the board to carry the load and they're just not up to the job. This from a guy I met with 180K on his TR and who does all of his own maintenance.

If there's a better board, and I'm sure there is, I'd replace that as a precaution.

As to tf308 and the 3M Crystalline, he couldn't be more spot on. The windshields in the BB and TR are huge and allow for a tremendous heat load in the car.

I did both my 308 and BBi with Crystalline and it made a HUGE difference. I can actually drive around on a 90 degree humid Florida day and be comfortable in them both. Plus the 3M isn't dark and it's almost clear. At least mine is.