‘87 TR Shock Rebuild | FerrariChat

‘87 TR Shock Rebuild

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, May 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey all-

In my continuous effort to make my TR as amazing as it can be, I am planning on rebuilding all four corners this winter. Caliper rebuild and replate, new rubber bushings, powder coat suspension components, stainless steel brake lines (even a concours judge wouldn’t see them and they make a positive difference in braking), and steering rack repack and seal.

One thing I really want to do is send the shocks out to Koni to be rebuilt (my understanding is they perform this service). Does Koni still do this?

Damping technology has come a LONG way since the TR, And with six shocks to work with, theres no reason to assume a good shock tuner couldnt rebuild these shocks to incredible performance. This means compliant in sharp bumps (high speed compression damping) and stiff around corners.

Does anyone know suspension shops who rebuild TR shocks to modern standards? Seems like it would be something VERY worth the money. No negative repercussions to doing this except money. Only positive improvements would result from it so I’m very curious

2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I had my shocks rebuilt by performance shock inc in Monterey Bay area CA. It was about $500 per shock to replace bushings, paint, rebuild, and Dyno test each shock. Came out looking new. They can also replace and plate everything if you send them the complete shock.

https://performanceshock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1155

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

xplodee and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Original Koni shocks were adjustable for wear only. Seat the shock and turn shaft one click.

4. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I restored the front end on my '85 this winter and used https://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/ for the Koni's. $350 per and they're like new with rebound test graph provided. I also sent them Superformance bushings to install as well. From what I understand Koni no longer does rebuilds.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The "modern standard", if you're send them out for rebuilding anyway, would be to add a threaded adjustable lower spring perch provision IMO -- try a search on "Truechoice" for prior threads. (Don't know if Truechoice Motorsports still exists, and don't think that they are the only firm that could do it, but it's a unique word that can help find those prior threads).

+1 on the PMB recomendation for the caliper restoration -- you could not do what they do (e.g., replating, fresh Welch plugs, etc.) for the same $s doing it yourself.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Very good approach to have the perfectly sorted TR! Keep us posted on what you end up doing to it;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    To do’s are:

Fog light lenses
    Rebuild four corners including brakes
    Differential
    Exhaust
    Little stuff in interior
    Keep her clean

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Will be perfect after! I would recommend fuse box if not done already, alternator too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Oops, forgot that! Fusebox and at least front two corners will be done by end of winter

11. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    What anyone's recommendation on fog light lenses?

12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No affiliation, I just like them because they are quick and carry good parts: GT Carparts has some polycarbonate lenses that they stock for $250/ea for the main lens. Not sure if they carry the turn signal lenses.

13. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thank you Michael, Dennis and Kenny for your suggestions on where to get stuff done. I’ll be reaching out to the Koni guys and seeing if they offer any type of revalving to modernize the shocks.

What would the benefit of adding a spring perch to the shock accomplish? Adjustable ride height?

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Exactly. Also, not every chassis is perfectly made so it allows you to "level" the coachwork side-to-side, if it needs it.

15. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’m intrigued. I’ll bring it up with Truechoice when they return my message. Would be somewhat visible though, I like my aftermarket solutions to be invisible even though I doubt I’ll ever enter a concours.

16. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  17. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
  18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Unless they were leaking I would not touch them. Just clean them. If your calipers are sticking rebuild them, if not, leave them alone and clean them unless you just have a bottomless bank account.

19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not bottomless, but enough to play.

MOSS likes this.
  20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Its yours so you should do whatever makes you happy Tim! Clearly a nice car.

21. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I would not consider this good advice. Considering their age, what if a shock start leaking in a year or 2 from now? Now you've got to tear down everything again. Talk about a waste of time and/or money when they should have been rebuilt and rebound tested when the suspension was apart for the refresh. That's why I rebuilt my 34 year old Konis this winter during a refresh. My front brake calipers weren't sticking either but needed a rebuilding due to worn seals.

xplodee likes this.
  22. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Again, just like your caliper seals, if they were leaking then fix. If the suspension is dissembled by all means rebuild the shocks but my thoughts were if you were just wanting them to look nice then clean them but if leaking then rebuild. I doubt very seriously you will feel a low performing shock. Its a 33 year old car and technology. I have seen a whole lot of unbroken parts fixed and then start giving problems. The old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" holds true. But again to each its own. Making it perfect is fun if that is your venue. Go for it, its your money. : )

23. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My goal is to rebuild the whole corner, front this year and rear next year. As I said on my first post I’m gonna go all in and enjoy the results. I just like knowing the car is a perfect driver. My exterior is clean as hell but not perfect and my interior is re-done therefore durable and gorgeous. This princess is ready to ride

24. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Don't ride her too hard!