Penalizing drivers for team mistakes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Penalizing drivers for team mistakes

Discussion in 'F1' started by SimCity3, May 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Because 2 drivers can score points for a team in the WCC, under the present rules.
    But each driver scores points for the WDC.

crinoid likes this.
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This is a WHOLE other conversation however I think Constructors title rewards consistency more than anything else. Back in the day when this was invented not every team fielded 2 cars, correct ...?

I'm 360 Canuck and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  3. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Not exactly.

When the driver messes up it affects both the team and the driver.

4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Monaco pitlane is frankly ridiculous. Surprised car contact has not happened on a more regular basis.

I'm 360 Canuck, stavura and Bas like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That goes without saying.

I thought you would have understood that ... LOL

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

And you should know. You live there, don't you ?

7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I think Max was much faster than Lewis and his old tires... so if he would have been past Lewis he could have made the gap to 5 seconds, so he actually was racing Lewis

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

8. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Unless your name is Lewis Hamilton... when you win because the guy on the fresher tires can't get past it is you winning and if you can not pass the one in front on fresher tires yourself (2015) it is the team robbing your victory. So victories are individualized and losses generalized, how convenient for the driver

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What does living there have to do with anything? Like most of us, I'm pretty sure he has a pair of functioning eyes like the rest of us. The Monaco pitlane is the narrowest and shortest of all.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Just kidding !!

Aw, FFS, chillax a bit !!!

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You really should use those emoji's a bit as sarcasm doesn't really shine through on written internet.

daytona355 likes this.
  12. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think that's when they are actually behind the SC. In this case the SC hadn't lined up the cars because it hadn't found the leader.

Bas likes this.
  13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

william likes this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    stavura and daytona355 like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I had a look, rules are clear as. SC boards where out and SC was deployed. Bottas broke the rules.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Patrick Dixon, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    When the team messed up it affects both the driver and the team.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think you show too much your bias towards Verstappen now. Maybe being Dutch and all that maybe?

The author of this article wasn't the only one calling for a stronger penalty, in view of the damage done.

Red Bull was at fault, and the only way to punish them was to inflict a strong penalty on Verstappen.

A drive through penalty was rightly deserved, IMO.

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Monaco is a neat race with tradition! Too bad it is impossible to pass!

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A place where you can't pass cannot host a proper race. The modern F1s have overgrown Monaco.

I'm 360 Canuck and JJ like this.
  20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Bottles and Elton seem to do the safety car shuffle a lot, and always get away with it. The FIA seem unable to consider upsetting their paymasters in Munich, regardless of how obvious the bias and favouritism becomes....

Having seen some highlights earlier, it’s a shame LeClerc didn’t use his loaf a bit when he went to the back of the grid after his crash, he should have lain in wait for Elton and had a little accident with him instead of a useless one with some backmarker muppets, far more use to ferrari than driving around in circles for a few laps before retiring a broken car for nothing. Costing merc points should be foremost in his mind at the moment..... I wouldn’t have hesitated (Binotto, Ferrari have my number, give me a team order to trip a merc up, it’s on, and my only payment required is to be allowed to watch Elton crying into his milk after retiring from the race! Hahahahaha). Can you imagine the fallout? The FIA would **** themselves and probably call for the death penalty for me, hitting a Mercedes like that. I’d only have to brake test him somewhere iffy, dead easy to do, and payback for Baku!

21. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Do you say this in jest?

With you, it’s sometimes hard to know whether you’re being serious, or just trying to get a rise out of us.

22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Sure, but much more entertaining and authentic is the TT which we're heading to tomorrow.
    And yes, TT racers do occasionally bang legs and panels when passing. It's not a sport for *******.

23. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    It doesn't say anything about 10 car lengths though. So we are down to the interpretation of 'unnecessarily slowly', which is a bizarre phrase to use given that the cars are not racing due to there being something 'unsafe' about the track condition.

Apparently it is much more serious to hit someone at 30mph than 20mph .... (according to UK government adverts)

william likes this.
  24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think unnecessary slower was more apt here, 10 car lengths (a rough measurement I agree) is mentioned several times in the rules. Given that Lewis skated ahead, I think we can all agree Bottas was driving ''unnecessarily slowly'.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It may comes as a surprise to some that apparently similar infringements of the rules are treated differently and attract different outcomes.
    The location, the parties involved, the circumstances, the stewards are all different for separate incidents.
    It's just like the justice system coming up with different sentences for what are on the surface similar crimes.